Larry Pestilence III

The English Language

On 20/02/2024 at 21:38, Clorox Bleachman said:

I've been annoyed by people on YouTube saying "the thing is is that ___". I have no problem with "the thing is", despite it being filler. I use it too. I'm not sure why it's mutated to have an extra "is".

I've discovered this is called a double copula. I'm trying to detox after years of writing run-on sentences, trying in vain to meet word counts for college. See, the thing is is, what it is is that it's everywhere.

9 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

I've discovered this is called a double copula.

That sounds more exciting than it is.

Someone mentioned Don Tidey in another thread, and it reminded me of a programme I saw recently on RTE about his kidnapping. It featured something that is a real bugbear of mine: the tendency of the makers of history programmes to use the present tense when referring to historical events.

I can't remember the exact text, but it went something like: " As Tidey approaches his car, three men leap out of a waiting van. They strike Tidey over the head, bundle him into the van and drive off at high speed."

I presume they do this to make the events more vivid, but I just find it jarring to the ear. The events happened in the past. What is wrong with using the past tense to describe them? Do you think that I am incapable of imagining the scene if you said " As Tidey approached his car, three men leapt out of a waiting van. They struck Tidey over the head, bundled him into the van, and drove off at high speed"?

This style of presentation seems pretty much ubiquitous now in history programmes, so I guess that is now the accepted way of narrating. However I have almost given up watching these programmes, as I find myself getting increasingly irritated by it.

"Richard's army leaves the place of concealment, and catches the opposition completely off guard". Do they? What, every Thursday afternoon? Why the fuck have the opposition not copped on to this by now?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, An Fear Beag said:

However I have almost given up watching these programmes, as I find myself getting increasingly irritated by it.

Expand that to almost all television for me now. It has always been the case that they've spiced it up and dumbed it down in pursuit of ratings but as I've aged I also find I've seen it all before and the combination of the two just has me reaching for the off button.

I also started from a minimal viewing position in the first place I suppose, since a great deal of what seems to pass for entertainment has always bored me rigid.

I can't even be in a room where somebody else is watching soaps, game shows, cookery programmes, house improvements and so on.

Even those now ubiquitous moving advertisement panels installed at all football venues have me screaming at them because they do what they are designed to and distract you and I'm not even a football fan most of the time. Those never used to be there.....

I used to watch 'grumpy old men' though. Probably sums it up :lol:

ETA: There's actually some quite good 'user made' type of content out there on you tube which I can watch a bit of, it has the added benefit of being fast-forwardable. A fellow by the name of Simon Whistler is involved in a few - also off the top of my head 'map men' and 'auto-shenanigans' though those are a bit niche. You can avoid youtube ads (especially on Firefox) with appropriate ad-blockers.

• Like 1