Sign in to follow this  
Spade_Cooley

2015 DDP Salvage Lot

Guest BuriedInCarolina

I had fully intended as part of my 2015 DDP "TilDeathDoUsPart" submission to include former Senators and US Presidential Candidates Bob Dole and his wife Elizabeth Dole but totally forgot to do so as I worked so hard to find 10 "couples" that both were reasonable selections for my list. At 91, and with health problems he makes a great choice and she isn't too bad either at 78 and being tied to and dragged down by that old man she is married to!

The list ended up as George H W Bush (joker), Barbara Bush,,Jimmy Carter, Rosalyn Carter, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Ozzie Osbourne, Sharon Osbourne, Warren Beatty, Annette Bening, Bill Clinton, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Charles (Prince of Wales), Camilla (Duchess of Cornwall), Elton John, David Furnish, George Takei, and Brad Altman although I now have doubts about Altman and Furnish getting qualifying obits in the UK.

List of the people who didn't make it to the top 20. In brackets years when I have included them to the DDP:

21. Jenny Diski 67

22. Bryan Murray (ice hockey) 72

23. Robert Mugabe 90 (2012-2014)

24. Jules Bianchi 25

25. Pope Benedict XVI 87 (2014)

26. Antony Booth 83

27. Chuck Berry 88 (2012)

28. Nancy Reagan 93 (2013)

29. Walter Scheel 95

30. Kirk Douglas 98 (2011-2012, 2014)

31. Prince Philip 93 (2011, 2014)

32. George H.W. Bush 90 (2013-2014)

33. Stephen Hawking 72 (2014)

34. Hosni Mubarak 85 (2013)

35. Bob Dole 91 (2013)

36. Bart Starr 80

37. Doyle Brunson 81

38. Merle Haggard 77

39. Ian Brady 76 (2013)

40. Penny Marshall 71 (2013)

41. Terry Pratchett 66

42. Sir Nicholas Winton 105

43. Lupita Tovar 104

44. Piet de Jong 99

45. David Rockefeller 99

46. Olivia De Havilland 98

47. Denis Healey 97

48. Helmut Schmidt 96

49. Little Jimmy Dickens 94 (DEAD)

50. George Alagiah 59

51. Maureen O'Hara 94

52. Helmut Kohl 84

53. Julius Darmaatmadja 80

54. Jim Bowen 77

55. Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo 72

56. Richard von Weizsäcker 94

57. Margot Hielscher 95

58. Lawrence Ferlinghetti 95

59. Cliff Michelmore 95

60. James Molyneaux 94

61. Jake LaMotta 93

62. John Glenn 93

63. Patrick Macnee 92

64. Betty White 92

65. Doris Day 92/90

66. Christopher Lee 92

67. Lee Kuan Yew 91

68. Henry Kissinger 91

69. Chuck Yeager 91

70. BB King 89

71. George Cole 89

72. Dick Van Dyke 89 (2011)

73. Gudrun Ure 88

74. Harper Lee 88

75. Wendy Beckett 84

76. Mihhail Gorbatšov 83

77. Ruth Bader Ginsburg 81

78. Peter Maxwell Davies 80

79. Jack Nicholson 77 (2011)

80. Valerie Harper 75 (2014)

81. Norma Waterson 75

82. John McCririck 74

83. Brian Bennett 74

84. Dick Cheney 73

85. Bruce Welch 73

86. Hank Marvin 73

87. Ryan O'Neal 73

88. Guy Edwards 72

89. Kelvin MacKenzie 68

90. Edgar Savisaar 64

91. Leif Garrett 53

92. Eddie Large 73

93. Ryuichi Sakamoto 62

94. Ali Carter 35

95. Michael Schumacher 45

96. Bashar al-Assad 49

97. Misao Okawa 116

98. Aretha Franklin 72 (2011)

99. Michael Douglas 70 (2011)

100. Wilko Johnson 67 (2014)

I had a whole shadow list to my shadow list, another 50 with no room at the inn...

Al Anderson, Michael Aspel, Tom Baker, Bob Barker, Pope Benedict XVI, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Jim Bowen, Lord Carrington, Julie Chang, George Cole, Judy Collins, Doug Ellis, Louis Farrakhan, Helen Fawkes, Aretha Franklin, Mikhail Gorbachev, Kate Granger, King Harald V of Norway, Alison Hartley (bbc Essex), Jenny Inman, Wilko Johnson, Louis Jourdan, Candye Kane, Henry Kissinger, Helmut Kohl, Phil Lesh, Jerry Lewis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Teodoro Obiang Nquema Mbasogo, John McVie, Shih Ming-Teh, Tracy Morgan, Shelley Morrison, Hosni Mubarak, Jim Nabors, Manuel Noriega, Maureen O'Hara, Peter O'Sullevan, Seymour Papert, Nile Rodgers, William Russell, Robert Schuller, Vojislav Seselj, Micheal Schumacher, Lupita Tovar, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Murray Walker, Sir Nicholas Winton, Chris Woodhead & Malcolm Young.

That's interesting RA. I was gonna put Carl Reiner on my list this year, however his films The Man With Two Brains and The Jerk are so brilliant, so even-funnier-than-most-of-Castro's-facial-expressions-in-his-recent-pics, y'know...., I just couldn't do the "crossing off" thingy....

oh and besides he's in really great shape apparently so I guess that's another good reason.

Dr Beverley Hall: Woman at the centre of the Atlanta school exam scandal a few years back when inner-city schools were found to be faking exam scores. Probably not notable enough for an obituary though, unless via nefarious Yahoo video means.

Ah fuck off Reuters. At least nobody picked her on the DDP.

I have some "regrets" about picking the wrong people out of very narrow categories. For my DDP, I picked Walter Scheel, a very old former German president, only to find out that another, less old former German president (Richard von Weizsäcker) died. For the Hare's Death Pool, I picked Alexej Nawalny because I thought that Putin might attempt to kill a prominent member of the opposition, but then a different guy died. Also, at the beginning of the year, two german football world championship winners of 1954 were still alive, I picked Horst Eckel, but then the other guy died. And finally, I chose cancer-stricken former drummer of the german punk band "Die Toten Hosen" Wolfgang Rohde, but then the band's manager Jochen Hülder died.

• Like 2

I left off Lauren Hill because I didn't think she will get the obit, but I have a feeling I'll be wrong now... I dropped Clive James and Valerie Harper but retained basically everyone else.

Three I very strongly considered:

Peter Brabeck-Letmathe - F1 Chairman, standing down due to "curable" ill health, but apparently still retaining some power so...

Xu Caihou - Chinese general who escaped a corruption trial with apparent terminal cancer; got too many terminal criminals so he got left off.

Miriam Defensor Santiago - former ICC judge, has lung cancer, but apparently doing well and running for President of the Philippines

Xu Caihou dead. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-2995965/Disgraced-former-Chinese-officer-dies-cancer--Xinhua.html

Edit: BBC Obit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-31901941

Here are the people who just missed my DDP main team

21-40

Gino Odjick

Bryan Wiedmeier*think these 2 will die also think less than 50% chance they get the req obit

Francis George*

Oj Brigance

Rev Billy Graham

Nurse Pauline Cafferkey

George Coe "Voice of Woodhouse"

Ritchii Kara

Ian Brady

Lynne Stewart

Ib Melchior

Rene Angelil

Clive James

Muhammad Ali

Avdelaziz Bouteflika

Desmond Tutu

Valerie Harper

Kirk Kerkorian

Abdullah The Butcher

Al Molinaro

Ib Melchior dead. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ib-melchior-dead-robinson-crusoe-782749

List of the people who didn't make it to the top 20. In brackets years when I have included them to the DDP:

1. That's SIR Peter to you.

2. Now 81, his cancer has returned.

SC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3268848/Royal-composer-s-cancer-returns-Queen-s-former-Master-Music-reveals-needs-new-round-chemotherapy-leukaemia-comes-back.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

1. That's SIR Peter to you.

2. Now 81, his cancer has returned.

SC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3268848/Royal-composer-s-cancer-returns-Queen-s-former-Master-Music-reveals-needs-new-round-chemotherapy-leukaemia-comes-back.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

He's been on several shortlists for a while. Iirc, when he gained more time in 2013, he had to go on a cocktail of drugs that "held back" his cancer, and there was always the likelihood they would only keep the cancer (which is a particularly virulent strain of leukemia) at bay for so long.

Hey msc, in passing you might want to cross Grace Lee Boggs off for this year in your sig. :)

Radguy normally notices these things, but hey.

Hey msc, in passing you might want to cross Grace Lee Boggs off for this year in your sig. :)

Radguy normally notices these things, but hey.

I forgot she was on it (via the Hares pool, I think). Mind you, I did immediately go to cross off Denis Healey a few weeks ago, only to find that he wasn't on any of my lists for the first year ever.

• Like 1

Miriam Defensor Santiago - former ICC judge, has lung cancer, but apparently doing well and running for President of the Philippines

Miriam Defensor Santiago has told people to "mind their own business" about her diagnosis of stage IV lung cancer, which she says shouldn't stop her from running for President.

I'm giving some thought to sticking her on my DDP team, she's got a big Wiki page and was once listed as one of the hundred most powerful women in the world, so will surely get an obit.

I left off Lauren Hill because I didn't think she will get the obit, but I have a feeling I'll be wrong now... I dropped Clive James and Valerie Harper but retained basically everyone else.Three I very strongly considered:Peter Brabeck-Letmathe - F1 Chairman, standing down due to "curable" ill health, but apparently still retaining some power so...Xu Caihou - Chinese general who escaped a corruption trial with apparent terminal cancer; got too many terminal criminals so he got left off.Miriam Defensor Santiago - former ICC judge, has lung cancer, but apparently doing well and running for President of the Philippines

I left off Lauren Hill because I didn't think she will get the obit, but I have a feeling I'll be wrong now... I dropped Clive James and Valerie Harper but retained basically everyone else.Three I very strongly considered:Peter Brabeck-Letmathe - F1 Chairman, standing down due to "curable" ill health, but apparently still retaining some power so...Xu Caihou - Chinese general who escaped a corruption trial with apparent terminal cancer; got too many terminal criminals so he got left off.Miriam Defensor Santiago - former ICC judge, has lung cancer, but apparently doing well and running for President of the Philippines

And now Santiago has been appointed as something or other by Bill Gates. She's healthy as a horse (unless that horse is Affirmed). Lung C a thing of the past. Someone has her in DDP

SC

http://www.senate.gov.ph/press_release/2016/0122_santiago1.asp