Sean

Diane Abbott

On 28/05/2024 at 20:55, RoverAndOut said:

I'm sure I read somewhere yesterday that she intends to be an MP as long as possible...

So, looking at the shaking with the microphone earlier and the way it looks like she's had to learn to produce the same diction that came naturally, this could get ugly - looks like Parkinsons or some similar neuro problem. I'm thinking rumours will break out, she might do her chances a favour to fess up now

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Also, this is a talking point boring the voters. The press have obviously taken the view that by covering this, they don't have to look at Sunak's dismal performances or Starmer's Q & A college professor act. But that is precisely what they should be prioritising, instead of saying we'll cover this and that is blocking out Labour's message. 

It is absolutely critical we get rid of the Tories and by as wide a margin as possible. Absolutely everything else should take a back seat.

As with yourself this is just an opinion, but Abbott really is 'making this all about her' (again, in my opinion). It's a massive distraction, and whether or not she's 'a bit of a loon' can only harm the overall competence picture.

To be honest, Labour should have just left her alone (rightly or wrongly), it'd be quieter.

• Like 1

just heard her on The World Tonight, stripped of the visuals, she sounds like shit. Could be extreme emotions, but I'd have a punt that's not the cause.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

To be honest, Labour should have just left her alone (rightly or wrongly), it'd be quieter.

They should never have left this till the last minute. If they had decided earlier in the year (back when there was still the possibility of the election happening in May) whether or not she would be allowed to stand as a candidate in the next election, she would have melted into the background and not caused them as much of a distraction as she's doing now. 

• Like 1

Amazing how this all blew up at exactly the moment the Tories & the press realised they could no longer use Angela Rayner as an attempted line of attack.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TQR said:

Amazing how this all blew up at exactly the moment the Tories & the press realised they could no longer use Angela Rayner as an attempted line of attack.

I don’t think this is all the work of the Tories through. 

Starmer‘s purge continues. 

Brighton MP Lloyd Russell-Moyle suspended and blocked from standing.

Will the left’s sweetheart Zarah Sultana make it to the close of nominations at this rate?

I know Twitter isn’t indicative of wider opinion but some on the left now jumping to the Greens, which could partly explain why the polls are tightening between Labour and Tory.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Will the left’s sweetheart Zarah Sultana make it to the close of nominations at this rate?

I know Twitter isn’t indicative of wider opinion but some on the left now jumping to the Greens, which could partly explain why the polls are tightening between Labour and Tory.

Depends if they can find a reason and be able to justify why nothing has been done till now. 

34 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The problem with these purges is that he's giving the impression that he's extremely authoritarian and will react to even the slightest hint of scandal. It conjures up an image of him being a 21st century Jim Hacker (knee-jerk reactions and has more mouth than trousers). I'm in a group chat for a different community that is about as anti-tory as they go, and there seems to have been a noticeable shift from "get Labour in at all costs" to "get the tories out, but I don't really like Starmer so I might vote greens".

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

My understanding is that a complaint about Russell-Moyle's behaviour from years ago has been made, and Labour's process has kicked in, rather than a purge from the top.

I've been following the Twitter nonsense. Interesting to see the various posts suggesting Starmer is as bad as Sunak, therefore voters should minimise his majority by voting for someone else. I've said before that folk have to be persuaded by Labour to avoid them scattering to other parties, but there seem to be active campaigning for this.

These seem to be the only way Tories can hang on to seats they may well lose.

I'm no fan of politicians as may be clear. This country however has suffered under the two main parties when they have mahoosive majorities. I have a feeling right or wrong that this may well be decided by the stay at homes rather than the actual voters.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

The problem with these purges is that he's giving the impression that he's extremely authoritarian and will react to even the slightest hint of scandal. It conjures up an image of him being a 21st century Jim Hacker (knee-jerk reactions and has more mouth than trousers). I'm in a group chat for a different community that is about as anti-tory as they go, and there seems to have been a noticeable shift from "get Labour in at all costs" to "get the tories out, but I don't really like Starmer so I might vote greens".

And of course by voting Green in many constituencies it increase the chances of the Tories winning the seat on a low vote share. Not so much an issue if they live in a safe Labour, Lib Dem  or even a Tory seat Labour do not need for a working majority. 

8 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

My understanding is that a complaint about Russell-Moyle's behaviour from years ago has been made, and Labour's process has kicked in, rather than a purge from the top.

I've been following the Twitter nonsense. Interesting to see the various posts suggesting Starmer is as bad as Sunak, therefore voters should minimise his majority by voting for someone else. I've said before that folk have to be persuaded by Labour to avoid them scattering to other parties, but there seem to be active campaigning for this.

These seem to be the only way Tories can hang on to seats they may well lose.

I'm no fan of politicians as may be clear. This country however has suffered under the two main parties when they have mahoosive majorities. I have a feeling right or wrong that this may well be decided by the stay at homes rather than the actual voters.

It's the timing which makes me believe it's politically motivated.

In the past 24 hours Labour have also abandoned Faiza Shaheen (wiki), a high profile candidate who was standing against Sir Iain Duncan-Smith in Chingford. She seems to be competent. Her crime? She liked a video on Twitter by U.S. comedian Jon Stewart which "appeared" to down play anti-semitism. That's hardly the crime of the century. She was a huge backer of Corbyn. It is a purge.

19 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

It's not really a purge though.

One facing allegations about his past conduct

One removed by the NEC for playing down antisemitism

One stood as an independent

One was undecided, but stirred up by the media and exacerbated by her responding to that

McDonnell, Sultana, Burgon, Long--Bailey, as prominent examples, are all standing without any issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's the timing which makes me believe it's politically motivated.

In the past 24 hours Labour have also abandoned Faiza Shaheen (wiki), a high profile candidate who was standing against Sir Iain Duncan-Smith in Chingford. She seems to be competent. Her crime? She liked a video on Twitter by U.S. comedian Jon Stewart which "appeared" to down play anti-semitism. That's hardly the crime of the century. She was a huge backer of Corbyn. It is a purge.

Oh there's no doubt it is politically motivated - however, we don't know where the complaint has come from, so we can't judge.

As I've said before, most folk don't care who wants a job in Parliament. They want to know what the party you stand for believes. So people will gravitate towards them - the last election proved people will move towards parties with a vision, even when that doesn't necessarily chime with their usual beliefs.

That's why this election, more than any other in my lifetime is wide open. Pollsters gonna poll, and it's looking good for Labour, but I don't think it's because they offer anything greatly visionary. I don't think Labour want MPs who deviate from the overall message, that's something the Tories have been historically good at - but they are becoming fractured already by the behind the scenes complaints about fighting an election they weren't prepared for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TQR said:

It's not really a purge though.

One facing allegations about his past conduct

One removed by the NEC for playing down antisemitism

One stood as an independent

One was undecided, but stirred up by the media and exacerbated by her responding to that

McDonnell, Sultana, Burgon, Long--Bailey, as prominent examples, are all standing without any issues.

Labour were apparently hoping McDonnell would retire but he has declined to. 

10 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Labour were apparently hoping McDonnell would retire but he has declined to. 

73 this year and now 11 years since he had a major heart attack. Worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

Maybe Diane Abbott should stop tweeting about her selection or the support she has got from Unions, and make a statement on the shootings in her constituency. A 9 year old girl is in a critical condition.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maybe Diane Abbott should stop tweeting about her selection or the support she has got from Unions, and make a statement on the shootings in her constituency. A 9 year old girl is in a critical condition.

Instead, her latest tweet is about her plugging her political memoir.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

From the next election Dalston is not in her constituency anymore due to boundary changes - it been moved to Hackney South. 

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Michael Crick suggesting that Eddie Izzard may be fast tracked as the Labour candidate to replace Russell-Moyle. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

From the next election Dalston is not in her constituency anymore due to boundary changes - it been moved to Hackney South. 

And therefore their votes no longer matter to her?

Absolute disregard for the voters of Dalston who helped get her elected last time out?

"Here's my book, the unions support me, bloody Labour party, I want Labour to win".

The measure of the woman.

• Like 2

Just now, YoungWillz said:

And therefore their votes no longer matter to her?

Absolute disregard for the voters of Dalston who helped get her elected last time out?

"Here's my book, the unions support me, bloody Labour party, I want Labour to win".

The measure of the woman.

Of course not (And Dalston is probably her heartland as it’s the spiritual heart of Hackney’s black community.). 

If she does run as a Labour MP she will surely be top of everyone’s by election bingo. 

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Michael Crick suggesting that Eddie Izzard may be fast tracked as the Labour candidate to replace Russell-Moyle. 

Nice, maybe Suzy Eddie will be able to define what a woman is for Starmer.

Or indeed Parliament. Or indeed the UK.

At least we know where Rishi stands - if you were born male or female, that's the way you stay til you die. Prick.

• Like 2