Sean

Theresa May

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

she would have wanted to leave…had she still had her marbles!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Clutching at straws now. The Maastricht Treaty created the EU, without it the EU wouldn't have come into being. If she was against the signing of the creation of it, she was against it. I don't understand why that's difficult to understand.

When the Brexit vote was delivered I was furious. However I recognised that this was now the world we were living in so the best thing to do was try to minimise the impact of Brexit and deliver the best possible Brexit for the entire country. However the far right of the Conservative party kept moving the goal posts until a best compromise was not an option.

Thatcher was a pragmatist. In a binary choice with the world watching yes she probably would have joined the Leave campaign but I think she would not have proposed a no deal Brexit as some in her party did

• Like 1

Is what Thatcher would or wouldn't have thought or done actually germane?

She was about as divisive a figure as we have ever had as a PM.

I mean if we could dig up dead ex-leaders for their take on current politics where would we stop exactly?

Would Winston have been pro or anti Brexit?  Now you've got me wondering...Hm, EU....Probably not in fairness if Germany were in it.....

Just now, En Passant said:

I mean if we could dig up dead ex-leaders for their take on current politics where would we stop exactly?

Would Winston have been pro or anti Brexit?  Now you've got me wondering....Probably not in fairness if Germany were in it.....

Winston always gets the GBeebians and the flagshaggers going so they'll decide he's deffo a Brexshitter and anyone who says otherwise is a woke blob or something.

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Winston always gets the GBeebians and the flagshaggers going

Well yeah, digging up Harold Wilson, Anthony Eden, Alec Douglas-Home or even Ted Heath is admittedly less likely to rouse the flagshaggers (love that term).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Would Winston have been pro or anti Brexit?  Now you've got me wondering...Hm, EU....Probably not in fairness if Germany were in it.....

My understanding was that Winston wanted to join the European Coal & Steel Community (the precursor of the EEC) but De Gaulle said no which is why we didn't join until the Seventies

This whole thing came from who would be a good leader for the current Conservative party who would satisfy the likes of BonScott. This is not necessarily the same as who could win a leadership election under current Conservative party rules or who would be appealing to the wider electorate

Just now, Bibliogryphon said:

Conservative party who would satisfy the likes of BonScott

Attila the Hun?

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, En Passant said:

That's a really difficult question to answer, mainly because the world was so different back in the 1940s and 1950s when he was in politics.

There's actually statements attributed to Churchill where he talks of a united political Europe etc. but he doesn't go into enough detail for it to be compared to the modern day institutions of the EU.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TQR said:

Winston always gets the GBeebians and the flagshaggers going so they'll decide he's deffo a Brexshitter and anyone who says otherwise is a woke blob or something.

Proud flagshagger here. Better that than a pinko :) 

20 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Sir Winston would have been the leader of the Leave campaign if he was around 

IMG_1567.jpeg

Well, well, well.

All these discussions are moot, really. A modern day Mrs Thatch said Bon Scott. One thing you could say about her was she had a vision for the future, and a re-shaping of the United Kingdom. Whether she was right or not and how that affected then and now obviously is divisive.

I'm afraid to say that the current incumbents are squandering the opportunity of Brexit if there is one is to re-shape the UK once more. However, it is all short-termism, narrow-minded and blinkered running of the country. Not one of the Government benches has a vision of what that could be, not one. Instead, we are landed with high tax rates (on an economy which essentially has full employment), a larger debt and state with ever more layers of government while the things they are in charge of fall to bits around us. EU migration has simply been replaced by migration from the Indian sub-continent and other places - those figures currently dwarf what we were getting under the EU.

May's legacy is nothing as leader and horrific as Home Secretary. Since 2010, there really seems to have been no grand plan, with a succession of leaders willing to form an orchestra while the country burns.

• Like 3