Sign in to follow this  
Handrejka

Names we dislike

59 minutes ago, arghton said:

Preserved Fish

Pro-Life

Ben Bag-Bag

And last but not least, anti-apartheid activist Tokyo Sexwale.

You're mixing up the topics again.  Those names belong here:

This thread is about (relatively) normal names that we personally dislike.

On 13/04/2018 at 15:35, time said:

..... both Kate and Katy (Katie) are legitimate abbreviations of Katherine.

On 16/04/2018 at 00:04, Toast said:

Strange how 'Kay' is not, and has never been, a popular name - yet in recent years it has been hijacked to form part of many chavvy made-up names.

Further to this, there's a silly woman moved in to the local Facebook page who chooses to spell her name  "Kayt".

:facepalm:

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

Further to this, there's a silly woman moved in to the local Facebook page who chooses to spell her name  "Kayt".

Sounds like "Kite"? 

39 minutes ago, Toast said:

A bloke I used to work with had a sister that changed her first name by deed poll from ‘Jane’ to ‘Jain’. I promise that’s true. 

27 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Sounds like "Kite"? 

Shite, you mean?  No, it's a yoo-neek take on Kate.

Thread here on names registered in 2020, no Carols* or Nigels*, but plenty of Hallie-maes, Kylos & Kaidens *Caveat - ONS only tells us name registered if there were three or more occurrences

• Haha 1

Aadam surely is a typo?? Kylo, ok, that's Star Wars. Kacper instead of Casper? Is there a rapper with that name?

Edit: Oh, Kacper is the polish spelling, and there is a big football talent right now with that name.

Edit: Aadam - oh, there's an MMA guy's son, now also an MMA guy: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14549428/prince-naseem-hamed-son-aadam-dancing-boxing/

2 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Aadam surely is a typo?? Kylo, ok, that's Star Wars. Kacper instead of Casper? Is there a rapper with that name?

Edit: Oh, Kacper is the polish spelling, and there is a big football talent right now with that name.

Yes I see names that I think must be typos and then think probably not, its just 'wacky' parents being 'individual'. Or they're typos. "Aadam" is, I think a muslim variation of "Adam".

Kacper, and a few other names beginning with K are of Eastern European origin (the rest presumably being of Kardashian origin).

Full data (England & Wales) here

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, time said:

a few other names beginning with K are of Eastern European origin (the rest presumably being of Kardashian origin).

:lol: 

Muhammad in fifth place?  I bet it's top if all the spelling variations were counted together.

ETA - yep, even just counting Mohammed it easily knocks Oliver off the top. :(

It never fails to surprise me how so many parents seem to fasten onto the same names at the same time.  The popularity of Olivia baffles me, it sounds oily and makes me think of liver.

Thanks for the full list link, I was about to look for that.  I save that every year, it's so interesting to make comparisons.

5 minutes ago, Toast said:

:lol: 

Muhammad in fifth place?  I bet it's top if all the spelling variations were counted together.

It never fails to surprise me how so many parents seem to fasten onto the same names at the same time.  The popularity of Olivia baffles me, it sounds oily and makes me think of liver.

Thanks for the full list link, I was about to look for that.  I save that every year, it's so interesting to make comparisons.

Easily top; the Mohammed spelling (32nd place) accounts for 1615 which totals 4325, 100 more than number 1, Oliver.

41 minutes ago, time said:

Thread here on names registered in 2020, no Carols* or Nigels*, but plenty of Hallie-maes, Kylos & Kaidens *Caveat - ONS only tells us name registered if there were three or more occurrences

My name also appears to be extinct.  Although it has been incorporated into many a chavvy made-up name.  In both sexes, I might add.

8 minutes ago, time said:

Easily top; the Mohammed spelling (32nd place) accounts for 1615 which totals 4325, 100 more than number 1, Oliver.

Yeah, I just edited that in.

I don't agree with treating hypenated names as individual names. 

Poppy-Anne

Willow-Louise  etc

What is the matter with these people?  Why do they think a hyphen is necessary?

2 hours ago, Toast said:

My name also appears to be extinct.  Although it has been incorporated into many a chavvy made-up name.  In both sexes, I might add.

You must be having a laugh - nobody is getting christened ‘Toast’ any more.???

53 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

You must be having a laugh - nobody is getting christened ‘Toast’ any more.???

Grim doesn't seem to be very popular now either.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Grim doesn't seem to be very popular now either.

yeah in the good old days you even got brothers both called it.

• Haha 1

When I was born my first name was amongst the most popular half-a-dozen in the country; its hovering around the 350-400 mark having really fallen in popularity over the past couple of decades or so.