Handrejka

Names we dislike

Boys never get called Spike these days, do they?

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

Edit - 4 poor baby girls were given the name Sukhman! I'm never going to complain about my name again.

Both my first and middle names have under 30 hits. Middle name has always been dud but I was one of 10 with my first name in my year at school!

I always like looking at the rare end of the table. Three each for Arrow, Egypt, Lul, Monalisa and Unique for the girls, and Fennec, Holland, John-Thomas, Now and Wolfy for the boys.

And 6 Spikes, @Sly Ronnie.

10 minutes ago, TQR said:

Both my first and middle names have under 30 hits. Middle name has always been dud but I was one of 10 with my first name in my year at school!

I always like looking at the rare end of the table. Three each for Arrow, Egypt, Lul, Monalisa and Unique for the girls, and Fennec, Holland, John-Thomas, Now and Wolfy.

And 6 Spikes, @Sly Ronnie.

Probably more dogs called Spike than children!

2 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Probably more dogs called Spike than children!

Same with Alfie. So many dogs these days seem to be called Alfie, I'm starting to see it as a dog's name and I'm taken aback when I hear parents call their kids that name in public. 

56 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Alfie, I'm starting to see it as a dog's name and I'm taken aback when I hear parents call their kids that name in public.

Tell that to my mates kid Fido.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Same with Alfie. So many dogs these days seem to be called Alfie, I'm starting to see it as a dog's name and I'm taken aback when I hear parents call their kids that name in public. 

It's really selfish not to name them Alfred.  Gives them the option of Fred or Freddie, and is the name of an iconic King.

3 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Tell that to my mates kid Fido.

Such a great name for a dog, but you never hear it now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Toast said:

It's really selfish not to name them Alfred.  Gives them the option of Fred or Freddie, and is the name of an iconic King.

I was tempted to go with Rover, but we've got our own @RoverAndOut and don't want to cause offence :rolleyes:.

Fenton also crossed my mind, but too many people don't know the video or mishear it as Benton.

So, yes, don't know what happened to Fido really, seems dogs names have the same fashion issue as humans.

• Haha 1

Luna is the 34th most popular girl's name, and that's a solid dog's name. Ditto Bella at #77. 

Human names for dogs have been "in" for a long time now.  Never hear Scamp, Spot, Prince, Patch.   I think human names have always tended to be common for bitches.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

I was tempted to go with Rover, but we've got our own @RoverAndOut and don't want to cause offence :rolleyes:.

Fenton also crossed my mind, but too many people don't know the video or mishear it as Benton.

So, yes, don't know what happened to Fido really, seems dogs names have the same fashion issue as humans.

My name has nothing to do with a dog, I assure you! And nor is it my Christian name, which appears nearly 500 times on the list - a good solid name, which has stood the test of time. My brother's name was unusual when he was christened but is now a top 50 name, although it was top 10 a few years ago, it's on the wane. My mum's name appears 18 times, but not her spelling. My dad's name appears a surprisingly high amount (top 500), despite me never coming across one aged less than 40.

As a secondary school teacher, the amount of spellings that make you want to weep is mind-blowing. This year, I have taught an Arrison (sic), Leland and twin girls called Sianna-Lee and Daisy-Dee, who are all in Year 7 (11-12) along with plenty more. It can be a nightmare reading an unfamiliar register. I've yet to meet a Brayden/Braiden who isn't a little shit.

Totally agree with @Toast too that all these shortened names are stupid. Give them a proper name and call them what you like at home. Alfred, known as Alfie by his parents, who changes it himself to Freddie when he's a teenager. Stop making life choices for your children.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Luna is the 34th most popular girl's name, and that's a solid dog's name. Ditto Bella at #77. 

My brother has a dog called Luna, a border collie-labrador cross. They previously had a German Shepherd called Star but apparently the celestial link hadn't occurred to them when they chose Luna, it was just a name, he, his girlfriend and my niece all liked.

10 minutes ago, Toast said:

Human names for dogs have been "in" for a long time now.  Never hear Scamp, Spot, Prince, Patch.   I think human names have always tended to be common for bitches.

Queen (Then princess) Elizabeth named her dog a human name in 1944 so certainly so. 

17 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

My name has nothing to do with a dog, I assure you!

Nah, only me messing about for (my usual lame) comedic effect. In truth I assumed it was something to do with Blackburn Rovers and football in general.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Totally agree with @Toast too that all these shortened names are stupid. Give them a proper name and call them what you like at home. Alfred, known as Alfie by his parents, who changes it himself to Freddie when he's a teenager. Stop making life choices for your children.

My name is going the way of the Garys and dying out but the handy thing about it is that it's already monosyllabic, with no real scope for shortening or bastardising in any way.

My middle name is the same as my dad's first name, and that's nearly gone too. It's a name shit enough that he doesn't go by it so I take it as an insult that they gave it to me.

Buster, Cooper, Dexter, Diesel, Max, Nala, Rosie and Roxy are all incredibly common dog names nowadays.

My name was high in the rankings when I was born, but it's no longer in the top 100. I like that. It might be a Gary one day, but I'm thankful every day that I wasn't called Callum or Lewis, or else I'd have to go by my full name in every setting. I only knew one other kid with my name and he's dead now so it's just me.

2 hours ago, En Passant said:

Nah, only me messing about for (my usual lame) comedic effect. In truth I assumed it was something to do with Blackburn Rovers and football in general.

Someone's been paying attention. ;) Correct. My own poor attempt to create an apt and witty pseudonym based on something I like.

I have never met a nice person called Tyler or a nice Jessica. Ever.

But what gets me are the people who give their kid a “unique” spelling like Jaxson, Kymburleigh, Mahdysyn, etc. you’re setting them up for a lifetime of correcting people’s spelling and pronunciation!

“unique” -den/-din/-don names also annoy me. Brayden, Jayden, Okayden. Why?

What sort of fucking melon calls their kid John-Thomas?  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lard Bazaar said:

What sort of fucking melon calls their kid John-Thomas?  

Only a complete dick. Hehe.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Toast said:

Abraham Lincoln's dog was apparently called 'Fido' (comes from the Latin word for 'loyal'), and another stereotypical dog's name 'Rover' comes from a popular short film from the early 1900's ('Rescued by Rover', a sort of precursor to 'Lassie' featuring a heroic collie). Guess they're both too cliche to be taken seriously these days. 

I'd have thought 'Rover' would've seen a bit of a resurgence given its prominent use (short for Range Rover) in modern hippity hoppity wrap music.

3 hours ago, Father Brown said:

I have never met a nice person called Tyler or a nice Jessica. Ever.

But what gets me are the people who give their kid a “unique” spelling like Jaxson, Kymburleigh, Mahdysyn, etc. you’re setting them up for a lifetime of correcting people’s spelling and pronunciation!

“unique” -den/-din/-don names also annoy me. Brayden, Jayden, Okayden. Why?

Is it fair to say I've also never met a Tim who wasn't the kind of middle management golf-playing suburbanite who could bore the toes off a sloth? 

And my middle name was butchered to make those Brayden, Jayden-style names, so part of me dies inside when I hear them. 

King Lear's dogs were called Tray, Blanche and Sweetheart.

There's a sentimental poem about a dog called Tray that was often recited in my mother's house when drink had been taken.

The Irish Harper and His Dog

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

And my middle name was butchered to make those Brayden, Jayden-style names, so part of me dies inside when I hear them. 

I feel your pain.  My name, never fashionable in itself, gets bolted on to other random syllables to form various chavvy names.