Joey Russ

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

@En Passant okay, challenge accepted.

Spoiler

"Sheeran"
I'm not a fan but he occasionally puts out decent songs.

"Swift"
I too ignored her until her surprise albums in 2020, which surprised me.

I've since discovered her music has a lot of variety in both topics and production, much of it being excellent, and she's at the top of her game right now.

"your latest boy band"
Yeah, can't help you there. How about a girl band?

"K-pop"
This isn't an area I'm too familiar with, because so much music comes out of South Korea. There are some gems though:

"a decent rap"
Well I think that's a shame. Some of the best production in modern music is in Hip-Hop. It might be hard to convince you, but this is a small handful of songs I like:

Other new songs you may connect with:

You can take it or leave it. I won't be offended if you think 90% of them are pish (okay, I will slightly). I felt the need to put forth the case for my generation. It's not better or worse, just different.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

You can take it or leave it. I won't be offended if you think 90% of them are pish (okay, I will slightly). I felt the need to put forth the case for my generation. It's not better or worse, just different.

Sheeran's music is practically all nut brown piss to the eardrum imo, as, I'm sad to say, is Beyoncé of late. Lots of good there though, and certainly enough variety to put to bed the old trope that "it all sounds the same nowadays". Fucking doesn't, even if the charts occasionally tell a different story.

Spoiler

The 90s is still broadly the best era though and no sod ever has a chance of convincing me otherwise

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TQR said:

Sheeran's music is practically all nut brown piss to the eardrum imo, as, I'm sad to say, is Beyoncé of late.

I downloaded Cowboy Carter before my recent trip and listened to it on every long train journey. Even if it's not all to my taste, I love a good sprawling album with hundreds of ideas that are all pulled together somehow. Sheeran's new music doesn't make me think in the same way.

7 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

@En Passant okay, challenge accepted.

Well, it wasn't quite a challenge, but fair play @Clorox Bleachman I accept that whilst I haven't much liked what I have heard, decrying what I haven't is grossly unfair.

You'll need to give me a week though, as if I'm going to do it I won't cheat, it's a reasonably long list and I need to be in the frame of mind to treat it fairly, also a bit busy for a few days. But I'll get to it.

• Like 1

I suppose it might have crossed my mind subconsciously that the News at Ten theme was from a longer piece, but until reading the Diana Edwards-ones obit did I know what it was called  - its The Awakening, by Johnny Pearson, and is of course on YouTube. The actual News at Ten bit is about a minute from the end. Anyone who's ever watched News at Ten will be adding their own 'bong' at the appropriate point. Guaranteed!

Taylor Swift just released a double album called The Tortured Poets Department. I thought it was just 16 songs but then I found the anthology and an extra 15 songs. So yes on my day off i've already spent two hours listening to her.

Some highlights:

thanK you aIMee (it's about Kim Kardashian)

Clara Bow

The Tortured Poets Department

• Like 2

One of my favourites of his.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Somehow, I was unaware of the existence of this album until yesterday.

Butchering The Beatles - A Headbashing Tribute (CD) | Discogs

Naturally I bought it, but until it arrives, utube is my friend