Joey Russ

What Are You Listening To Right Now?

The great Phil Ochs sings words of truth and sarcasm that ring as true today as they did in 1968.  Obscure as any Peter Green composition.

The Killers.

Going to see them in June.  

• Like 5

You say Abba is not obscure?

Of course it is.  The song, not the band, silly.

Another tune not written by Pete Green, as he wasn’t in The Paragons.

• Facepalm 1

I referenced this song earlier in conversation with OH and it transpires he's never heard of it before ffs. My gast was well and truly flabbered. It's one of the all-time greats as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

Can’t talk about music without the sounds of New Orleans, and can’t talk about the sounds of New Orleans without mentioning the Neville family.

Cyril was a member of the Meters, NOT the Neville Brothers…though he would join up with them after the Meters disbanded.  This is a great 1960’s obscure song, and funkier than Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Oh Well’.

@TQR as much as I would have enjoyed hearing your post… alas…

IMG_9110.jpeg

I missed a day or two so allow me to make up for that.

Here’s an obscure one from the equally obscure British band, the British Walkers.  I lied, they were actually not British, but from Washington DC. Oh Well.

(shades of Gimmee Some Lovin which was a hit, and even early Bob Seger’s ‘Heavy Music’).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I missed a day or two so allow me to make up for that.

Here’s an obscure one from the equally obscure British band, the British Walkers.  I lied, they were actually not British, but from Washington DC. Oh Well.

(shades of Gimmee Some Lovin which was a hit, and even early Bob Seger’s ‘Heavy Music’).

The song was written and originally recorded by Sam Cooke, and has been covered many times. Here's a live performance of it by Otis Redding, Eric Burdon and Chris Farlowe, performed on Ready Steady Go in 1965.

• Like 2

One last one to make up for lost time.  Classic sounding (yet obscure AF) late 1960s twangy rocker….this must be in @Phantom’s collection.  

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

@TQR as much as I would have enjoyed hearing your post… alas…

IMG_9110.jpeg

Amusing that "Jesus He Knows Me" by Genesis has been blocked in the land of televangelists.

• Haha 2

On 23/01/2024 at 09:54, Sir Creep said:

One last one to make up for lost time.  Classic sounding (yet obscure AF) late 1960s twangy rocker….this must be in @Phantom’s collection.  

I'm familiar with the track. I think I have it somewhere on a compilation tape that a friend made for me. 

Lol well now I’ve missed a few more days so allow me to reconcile that through today and tomorrow.

This time it IS a Brit band.  Here is exactly 1/2 of their entire catalogue, the B side of their only obscure single.  Too bad we never got more from Rifkin, Sir Creep likey.

• Like 1

Three more to post to bring us up to speed.

It gets no more obscure than this Dr Demento style fodder (so obscure the record label—the same label that recorded 13-year old Dolly Parton’s first song—couldn’t spell the band name correctly). It climbed the charts as much as Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Oh Well’ so a fair comp.

The band’s name and song title are perfect for the Deathlist site so here ‘tis.

Great song title. Great lyrics. 

The Strawbs first obscure single, before they even made an album. 

• Like 1

Obscure 1960s, I thought the band name quirky/dumb enough to post.  Song isn’t bad, though I’d rather have posted the B side given the band’s name and all. Relevant though, as it wouldn’t be until Fleetwood Max ‘Divorced’ themselves from Peter Green that they would start making good songs.

I owe two songs still.  I’ve been trying to find odd band names or song titles, so this fits.

And this is the best obscurity I’ve unearthed!  
Turquoise only released two singles in their existence; this is the B side of the first one.  They were neighbours of the Davies brothers, and Dave Davies produced their early demos, as if you couldn’t tell.

So without further ado…..If you like The Kinks…

New single from the Pet Shop Boys, with a very gay video.  Gotta feel sad for the girlfriends.

• Like 1

Saving this one for last.  The Monkees on a topic you never imagined they did, with lyrics to match.  Enjoy an obscure song from a well-known group.

I love how almost all of that little charade was completely ignored :lol:

• Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, TQR said:

I love how almost all of that little charade was completely ignored :lol:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d73tswo9th0gh9lf1nkn

• Like 1