Guest Goonish Grin

Norman Wisdom

Much under-rated but would perhaps be better name Never Were Pretty Things

Thank you, ATJ - I would claim that I got the title wrong because I was trying to blank the experience of seeing the film, but the truth is that I just couldn't be bothered to look it up. It is appalling, though, and as you rightly say, notable only for the Pretty Things (music for which I think was part of the Electric Banana sessions they did for DeWolfe music library, and cropped up on a few movies as a result). The Pretties had a habit of bad movies - anyone remember 'The Monster Club'?

Good grief! I do, I'm pretty sure I saw it but I know I definitely read the book as a nipper. Had a big Vampire face (film footage) on the front cover. Something to do with a human visiting this exclusive little club in London (Sparrow Lane I think the book said) for monsters and listening them tell each other monster stories from the monster's perspective.

Certainly sounds good, eh?

ps one day I'll read your name as 'pulp hack' in my head rather than 'pull fack' which is the way my brain read it first time and keeps sticking despite it not meaning anything.

Hello, pull fack here... that sounds vaguely obscene. I like it.

Oh dear, and here I was hoping The Monster Club really HAD been forgotten. The book came first, then got re-published. It was a collection by R Chetwynd Hayes, a prolific ghost & monster story writer of the sixties and seventies. The book isn't too bad, but the film... oooh! Vincent Price is a vampire who tries to take a bite out of John Carradine (playing Mr Hayes), and in recognition of his lovely stories takes him to the club where we get to hear a few stories and hear a few toons. The Pretties don't need make-up, but BA Robertson does (yes, he's crap). Phil May's hair is scary for 1980, and Dick Taylor has ALWAYS looked like that, which is scarier still. The ghoul episode and the Shadmock story are quite well done, but unfortunately that only shows up the rest of the film for how godawful it really is. One of Milton Subotsky's last films (he was half of Amicus, Hammer's main rival in the sixties, for non-horror buffs).

Of course, this would be completely off topic if not for the fact that no matter how bad this film is, it's still ten times more watchable than anything the terminally dull Wisdom ever made.

I'd say you're quite right, although I think you'll find it was 'What's Good for the Goose'

If you've ever seen that pile of steaming dung (apart from The Pretty Things in full flow)

Pretty things that full flow? Forgive me for misunderstanding, but I hope your talking about the burnette in white. I think that she could fit the definition as a pretty thing, Somehow I feel she is more naughty then the blond. :)

I think Anubis was referring to these Pretty Things.

Anubis I could never tell? It must have been a TV show i've never heard of.

That's my new signature sorted!

Anubis I could never tell? It must have been a TV show i've never heard of.

I read in Hello magazine that Norman is moving into Brinsworth House.

I read it on the the previous page of this thread. <_<

So, as they say when someone has been slow on the uptake over something, 'hello!'

I read it on the the previous page of this thread. B)

I was just adding credence to the story.... :(

He was in the local paper again today for getting his hair cut. Seriously, this is what passes for news round here. Still looks ok, but I'm starting to wonder if his face has stuck into that permagrin.

He was in the local paper again today for getting his hair cut. Seriously, this is what passes for news round here. Still looks ok, but I'm starting to wonder if his face has stuck into that permagrin.

Don't suppose you have a link to the article in the local paper?

Any cats stuck up in trees today?

He was in the local paper again today for getting his hair cut. Seriously, this is what passes for news round here.

You're a boat ride from West Cumbria if ever yer feelin' bored, like.

He was in the local paper again today for getting his hair cut. Seriously, this is what passes for news round here.

You're a boat ride from West Cumbria if ever yer feelin' bored, like.

Hmm. I think I'll pass on that. I went for an interview in Dalton-on Furness once.

I really don't know what the journalists will do once old Norm leaves the island

Move to Dalton in Furness in search of thrills and action, of course.

Nice place, Dalton. A zoo and a view.

The place was fine. I had nothing against the place.

Do expand...

Do expand...

I just didn't want the job and I'm not expanding any further.

A zoo of? A view of?

A zoo of fauna.

A view of a zoo of fauna.

nORMAN wISDOM WILL SEE OLD mAGGIE t OUT..DID YOU SEE THE STATE OF HER AT tED hEATHS funeral?not a well woman at all!

Well we can only hope... :)

Incidently, I started my first online business on February 4th 2005 the same day as Sir Norman Wisdom's 90th Birthday. A happy coincidence, and like the great comedian himself, it is still going strong. :D

He was in the local paper again. He's going on a Med. cruise after Christmas so he's still well enough to travel. Having said that 2007 is bound to be the year he dies as it's the first time I don't have him in any dead pools.

He was in the local paper again. He's going on a Med. cruise after Christmas so he's still well enough to travel. Having said that 2007 is bound to be the year he dies as it's the first time I don't have him in any dead pools.

I don't have him on any lists either, so he'll be the one to go next year.

I always seem to end up with one that dies that I omit from a list each year.