Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

53 minutes ago, lsm said:

I wrote to the EFL two years ago about Graham. Asking if they could confirm if he's the oldest living player, and if he is, could they do something to mark that. I never had a reply, sadly.

I spoke with Graham last week and we spoke about his old teams, Huddersfield Town and Sheffield United. He's still very interested in following their fortunes on TV.

Nice to know he's doing well. Is he looking forward to receiving a picture of Charles and Camilla when he turns 105?

5 hours ago, lsm said:

I wrote to the EFL two years ago about Graham. Asking if they could confirm if he's the oldest living player, and if he is, could they do something to mark that. I never had a reply, sadly.

I spoke with Graham last week and we spoke about his old teams, Huddersfield Town and Sheffield United. He's still very interested in following their fortunes on TV.

EFL are f*****g useless at everything so its in line for them not to reply.

But fabulous hes doing well, thank you.

I am absolutely not going to make any dumb jokes about making peace with his god. No sir.

I don't know if this will work but there's a lovely piece from Southend ex players on Eric Marsden on Facebook.

Look for Southend United ex players association...

This is 94 year-old Eric Marsden pictured earlier today clutching a copy of his Southend United home debut programme for the match against Norwich City on 25 October 1952. 
Eric is the oldest Southend United player alive and our only player alive who played at the old Southend Stadium at Grainger Road before we moved in to Roots Hall in 1955. Further, from research undertaken by a football historian, we understand that Eric is in the top 20 of the current living UK footballers.
Lets scroll back a bit. Back in May we were delighted to have finally caught up with 93 year old Jimmy Thomson who made his Shrimper debut in 1956. Believing Jimmy to be the oldest living SUFC player we declared that on social media and a football historian, researching the oldest living footballers, got in touch to enquire whether we had checked out a couple of other names. So we did .... and found Eric! Via some ancestry website investigations we connected with a family tree and made contact with someone there who informed us that Eric was currently in hospital near Coventry. This tied in with some internet research where on a Crystal Palace website someone had posted that they had seen him three years ago in Tesco near Coventry!
So, address details obtained, we duly wrote to Eric's home address and are immensely thankful to a kind neighbour of Eric's who helps him and his wife Terri as he called us and explained that Eric had recently had a hip operation and was currently convalescing in a home, with the hope that, if he gets fit enough, he will be able to move back home to be with Terri again - they have been married for over 70 years.
As a quick aside, finding Eric led us to undertake a thorough review of all past players. We started checking the list of the UK's oldest people (which lists all persons alive from 107 and up) and, satisfying ourselves that there was no Shrimper on that, we then checked the position for every former player who, if they were alive today, would be aged 106 or less. We are now 100% certain that we  have full details.
Eric was born in Bolsover in 1930, and after WWII did his National Service in the army. He started playing football for Winchester City, and it was from there that he was spotted by a Crystal Palace scout and made the big move in to Third Division league football. Eric, a centre forward, made 34 appearances scoring 11 times for the Selhurst Park men before Harry Warren brought him to Southend in October 1952. He had a great start, scoring a brace at Layer Road in a 3-3 draw v Colchester United on 18 October 1952, and made his home debut a week later v Norwich in front of 15,500 at our old ground. He ended up scoring six in 15 appearances by mid-January, but then played no more for us (Eric couldn't recall why!) and signed for Shrewsbury Town in March 1953 for who he made 11 appearances.
Thereafter Eric played non-league football, and was top scorer for Bath City (who oddly Eric played against in the FA Cup during his brief time with us) in the 1954-55 season with 21 goals. He earned his living for many years as a Production Manager for Lockheed, who in effect gave birth to the local works team today known as Leamington FC but were previously known as AP Leamington for a period after Lockheed changed their name to Automotive Products.
In advance of speaking to Eric today we sent him a copy of his SUFC home debut programme kindly given to us by the wonderful folk from Chelmer Programmes. Sadly the prog had its staple removed which then obliterated the name of the Southend number nine on the centre team sheet - Eric played number nine that day! We will keep a look out for a better copy, but nevertheless he was thrilled to receive it and amazed that we had got in touch. 
Eric and Terri were keen golfers in their earlier retirement years and Eric still maintains an interest in football, following his local team Coventry City. 
SUEPA has had many memorable moments since being founded six years ago, and speaking to Eric today is right up there as a true highlight. He is part of our club's proud history and in many respects as our oldest player alive is the father of it. Like us all, Eric just hopes that our ownership situation can be sorted out so that we can all build for a bright future, with protecting our history and heritage at the very heart of what our club is all about.
Welcome to SUEPA Eric, you are THE TOP MAN!

On 15/10/2021 at 00:34, Octopus of Odstock said:

Too young for this list, but Ron Stockin (born 1931) is Wolves oldest player (which ties in as Mike Kelly never started a game for them)

Stockin has just been awarded a league championship medal https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/20210720-stockin-awarded-retrospective-title-winning-medal/

Likely to be the only Wolves player who will for some time!

Ron Stockin dead at 93.

• Like 3

After a slogathon by myself, aided by @Master Obit, the 1933 and 1934 living players are now up on the master list. Just shy of 250 players born between 1920-1934, although my gut feel says only about 150 of them might actually be living.

Notable names added on include:

Ernie Walley, Eddie Firmani, Ken Brown, Peter McParland, Bryan Douglas, Peter Goldie, Cyril Lea, Alan Dicks, Tony Book, Frank Blunstone, Sylvan Anderton and Terry Dyson, amongst others.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

After a slogathon by myself, aided by @Master Obit, the 1933 and 1934 living players are now up on the master list. Just shy of 250 players born between 1920-1934, although my gut feel says only about 150 of them might actually be living.

Notable names added on include:

Ernie Walley, Eddie Firmani, Ken Brown, Peter McParland, Bryan Douglas, Peter Goldie, Cyril Lea, Alan Dicks, Tony Book, Frank Blunstone, Sylvan Anderton and Terry Dyson, amongst others.

*nod*

When I get some more time I'll try and knock some more off. Some of them will be dead.

On 30/11/2021 at 20:37, Octopus of Odstock said:

Scotland's ten oldest living internationals by the way. Luton Town have the oldest England international (Ron Baynham) and 2nd oldest Scottish international.

Ian McMillan (Airdrieonians and Rangers), 6 caps 1952-61, 18 March 1931
Mike Cullen (Luton Town), 1 cap 1956, 3 July 1931
Jimmy Millar (Rangers), 2 caps 1963, 20 November 1934
David Holt (Hearts), 5 caps 1963-64, 3 January 1936
George Herd (Clyde), 5 caps 1958-61, 6 May 1936
Ralph Brand (Rangers), 8 caps 1961-62, 8 December 1936
Tommy Ewing (Partick Thistle), 2 caps 1958, 2 May 1937
Willie Bell (Leeds United), 2 caps 1966, 3 September 1937
Jackie Plenderleith (Hibernian), 1 cap 1960, 6 October 1937
Ron Yeats (Liverpool), 2 caps 1964-66, 15 November 1937

On 16/02/2024 at 14:03, Ulitzer95 said:

Oldest living Scotland internationals (I've listed everyone currently aged 80+):

George Herd (b. 6 May 1936)

George Herd reportedly dead: 

DDP pick.

• Like 6

On 15/10/2020 at 00:48, Ulitzer95 said:

A little off topic, but I thought I'd drop this in here anyway in the hope that one of you may know, as this is your area.

Football manager Alan Rogers, from Southport. If still alive he'll be 96 in December.

Any knowledge of him still being around? I see he traveled to Tehran in 2006 with Frank O'Farrell and he was also given an award in 2013. Can't find anything from the last 7 years.

If alive, is it fair to say he's the oldest living English football manager at a professional level (even though all the teams he managed were international)?

I see there is a listing for an Alan Rogers in the coroner reports from April in Southport, where Rogers lives.

Anybody able to find out if this is the football manager? He would have been 99 if it's him.

30 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I see there is a listing for an Alan Rogers in the coroner reports from April in Southport, where Rogers lives.

Anybody able to find out if this is the football manager? He would have been 99 if it's him.

I would if I could actually locate him on the birth index to find middle names, which I could then check against the electoral roll. Unfortunately, no Alan Rogers (or even just any Rogers) appears with a DOB of 31/12/1924 in GRO births. I can find two people called Alan Rogers residing in Southport on Ancestry, one is an Alan F Rogers born between 1942 and 1944, the other has no birthdate indication. 

This is probably solvable but we first need to establish that he was definitely residing in the UK, and if he was definitely born 31/12/1924.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

I would if I could actually locate him on the birth index to find middle names, which I could then check against the electoral roll. Unfortunately, no Alan Rogers (or even just any Rogers) appears with a DOB of 31/12/1924 in GRO births. I can find two Alan Rogers residing in Southport on Ancestry, one is an Alan F Rogers born between 1942 and 1944, the other has no birthdate indication. 

This is probably solvable but we first need to establish that he was definitely residing in the UK, and if he was definitely born 31/12/1924.

I did a similar thing – went onto FreeBMD and tried to match a record to the details on his Wiki page. I think the birth details on his Wiki are most certainly wrong.

5 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I did a similar thing – went onto FreeBMD and tried to match a record to the details on his Wiki page. I think the birth details on his Wiki are most certainly wrong.

Do we know he was definitely residing in Southport?

Just now, Master Obit said:

Do we know he was definitely residing in Southport?

No. Going off of media reports from the last 10 years that claimed he was living in a flat there. Could have moved in that time though.

I'm gonna throw something out here that may be idiotic, but...  

https://funeral-notices.co.uk/notice/rogers/5067157

Here's an obituary for someone called Albert "Alan" Rogers who died aged 98 in 2022 in Southport. And the photos included alongside have this, which is clearly a photo of a football manager being carried aloft by (non-white) players in front of a large crowd

3108959-63202cd5.jpg

It couldn't be could it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Here's an obituary for someone called Albert "Alan" Rogers who died aged 98 in 2022 in Southport. And the photos included alongside have this, which is clearly a photo of a football manager being carried aloft by (non-white) players in front of a large crowd

3108959-63202cd5.jpg

It couldn't be could it?

This is a very good shout.

It is. One of the messages left on that obituary page is from a Jacqui Padden,  "sad at the passing of my amazing Uncle Ab". Padden is a stage actress, and she sent a tweet in October 2016 saying "The radio show you have just aired talks about the book Mister. Chpt 1 is about my uncle Alan Rogers. He may take an interview." The book in question is Mister, which does mention Rogers at length in its first chapter. So yeah, it's him.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

3108959-63202cd5.jpg

It couldn't be could it?

Thanks so much Spade! Had been doubting he was alive for some time now. 

@Master Obit, the obit above says he was 98 (so must've been born before 1924). Matching this with the GRO I found him. Albert Garnet I. M. Rogers, b. 1923, died in Sefton (within Southport area). Then found the birth record Albert G. I. M. M. Rogers, born 1923 in West Derby (then in Lancashire). Are we in agreement this is him?

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

@Master Obit, the obit above says he was 98 (so must've been born before 1924). Matching this with the GRO I found him. Albert Garnet I. M. Rogers, b. 1923, died in Sefton (within Southport area). Then found the birth record Albert G. I. M. M. Rogers, born 1923 in West Derby (then in Lancashire). Are we in agreement this is him?

What is it with all the middle names!?

I'm in agreement that it's him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It is. One of the messages left on that obituary page is from a Jacqui Padden,  "sad at the passing of my amazing Uncle Ab". Padden is a stage actress, and she sent a tweet in October 2016 saying "The radio show you have just aired talks about the book Mister. Chpt 1 is about my uncle Alan Rogers. He may take an interview." The book in question is Mister, which does mention Rogers at length in its first chapter. So yeah, it's him.

The obituary also mentions a living sister. Not many get to 98 and have a sibling still going. I don't imagine I'm getting anywhere near 98 but I'd be pretty gutted if I got there and hadn't at least claimed victory over my closest relative.

3 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

The obituary also mentions a living sister. Not many get to 98 and have a sibling still going. I don't imagine I'm getting anywhere near 98 but I'd be pretty gutted if I got there and hadn't at least claimed victory over my closest relative.

Indeed. Sister Ethel is listed on FreeBMD as Ethel A. S. L. M. Rogers (yes, cruel parents with all those middle names!). Her birth was registered in the last quarter of 1924, so turning 100 soon if still alive.

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Indeed. Sister Ethel is listed on FreeBMD as Ethel A. S. L. M. Rogers (yes, cruel parents with all those middle names!). Her birth was registered in the last quarter of 1924, so turning 100 soon if still alive.

Was there a 50% off sale at the registrar's office so they decided to splurge?

• Haha 1