Octopus of Odstock

Oldest Living football league players

Jim Maguire, who played for Rochdale, Alloa, Brechin, Dumbarton and Queen of the South, is dead.

According to Scotland's People, there is only one James Smith Maguire born between 1929 and 1932. Significantly, that man was born in Eaglesham, which matches his Wiki page, but is 2 years older than originally thought. @Ulitzer95 could you tidy this one up please? 

MAGUIRE
JAMES SMITH

M
561 / 3
EAGLESHAM

That man died in 2020 as per below:

MAGUIRE
JAMES SMITH
SMITH
M
649 / 306
BARRHEAD
  • Like 2

Charlie Twissell, Singapore-born footballer - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Twissell - who served in the Royal Navy as a radar technician before joining Plymouth and then York City as a winger, died earlier this year. No online report, other than this probate:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/search-results

Last name First name Date of death       ce  
Twissell Charles Herbert 18 January 2023

He turned professional in 1957 but was an amateur when he joined Plymouth. He had an extensive amateur career, gaining 5 caps for the England Amateur team and played for Great Britain in the 1956 Olympic Games. @Ulitzer95 and @Canadian Paul, FYI. He might have been the last surviving member of that team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He might have been the last surviving member of that team. 

That title belongs to Mike Pinner who died on 2 May, 2023 according to a letter I received from his wife

• Like 2

11 hours ago, whoismakoto said:

That title belongs to Mike Pinner who died on 2 May, 2023 according to a letter I received from his wife

What about Terry Robinson ? Both Wiki and Olympedia list him as alive, or at least do not precise his death date.

Not sure where to put this (as not really League, I guess - English footy remains a mystery to me in large part).

Anyhow, goalkeeper Sid Negus, who was Fakenham Town's oldest living player, has died aged 96: 

Article from 2 years ago to get his position and age: https://footballinberkshire.co.uk/features/history-nostalgia/54007/fakenham-towns-berkshire-connection-with-binfield-and-ascot-united/

• Like 3

On 22/11/2021 at 20:46, Ulitzer95 said:

@Octopus of Odstock, decided to do a bit of research into Eric Hampson (b. 1921) and I believe I've made some progress.

He retired in 1954. By 1959 he had moved to Bognor in Sussex and was working as a confectioner and tobacconist. The source is this old newspaper clipping I pulled up from the British Newspaper Archive:

463642931_Screenshot2021-11-22at20_19_13.thumb.png.07717d403397500d929939de1dcc1350.png

Crucially, it gives his wife's name as Ethel. From this information I was able to locate her through Ancestry in the family trees. She was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire as Ethel Morris (not far from Eric) in 1922. She died in Lewes, Sussex in December 1973. So they were still living in Sussex at that point.

Now I have great reason to believe Eric moved away after she passed away, and I think I can just about prove it. His listing on the Ancestry family trees is private, meaning he's listed as living (so either he is still alive OR he has died and nobody who has him in their trees has added his death details). There is one clue however. Their daughter Elizabeth Vivian Hampson (b. 1952 in Staffordshire) is listed as having died in Queensland, Australia in 2012. If family members have updated that, it tends to suggest he was still alive in 2012. His absence from the GRO Index and 192People would give strength to the idea he's in or was in Queensland. That's where you should look for your answer.

Having - finally - had the chance to subscribe to Ancestry again and to have the time to go through it, Eric Hampson is indeed dead.

Died in 1995.

Facts

• 1921(AGE)

Select fact

Birth

11 Nov 1921  Leek. Staffordshire

Select fact

Residence

1939  Staffordshire, England

1 source

Select fact

Marriage

Mar 1942  Stoke, Staffordshire

Ethel Morris

(1922–1973)

Death of father Edwin Hampson(1894–1970)

Apr 1970  Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, England

Death of wife Ethel Morris(1922–1973)

Oct 1973  Peacehaven Sussex

Select factView

Death

1 Nov 1995

1 source
  • Select fact

Burial

Staffordshire, England

1 source

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Having - finally - had the chance to subscribe to Ancestry again and to have the time to go through it, Eric Hampson is indeed dead.

Died in 1995.

Facts

• 1921(AGE)

Select fact

Birth

11 Nov 1921  Leek. Staffordshire

Select fact

Residence

1939  Staffordshire, England

1 source

Select fact

Marriage

Mar 1942  Stoke, Staffordshire

Ethel Morris

(1922–1973)

Death of father Edwin Hampson(1894–1970)

Apr 1970  Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, England

Death of wife Ethel Morris(1922–1973)

Oct 1973  Peacehaven Sussex

Select factView

Death

1 Nov 1995

1 source
  • Select fact

Burial

Staffordshire, England

1 source

Sorry OoO, but this cannot be right.

The footballer, as we understand was born on 11 November 1921 in Stroke on Trent, Staffordshire.
Check record on FreeBMD – this birth existed.

The 1995 death record for "that" Eric Hampson lists his age at "78".

343311296_Screenshot2023-09-02at15_39_39.thumb.png.d03276ff28234974c9c7e3146b0924f7.png

That would mean a birth of ~1917...
Check record on the GRO – confirms this individual was born in 1917.

In fact, here's the full record for "that" Eric Hampson:

Name Eric Hampson
Death Age 78
Birth Date 9 Feb 1917
Registration Date Nov 1995
Registration district Newcastle Under Lyme
Inferred County Staffordshire
Register Number 42
District and Subdistrict 7332
Entry Number 144

A quick look at FreeBMD pulls up the birth record for the 1917-born Hampson. He was born in Leigh, Lancashire, and his mother's surname was Aldred. This contradicts the family trees on Ancestry that match these birth and death records. They give his mother as Emma Adams. FreeBMD confirms that Ms. Adams was the mother of the 1921 born Hampson.

This is why amateur genealogy is so dangerous. One person matches the wrong record, and then lots of others on Ancestry simply copy it.

I'm convinced the real Eric Hampson moved abroad.

• Like 1

Her

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Sorry OoO, but this cannot be right.

The football, as we understand was born on 11 November 1921 in Stroke on Trent, Staffordshire.
Check record on FreeBMD – this birth existed.

The 1995 death record for "that" Eric Hampson lists his age at "78".

343311296_Screenshot2023-09-02at15_39_39.thumb.png.d03276ff28234974c9c7e3146b0924f7.png

That would mean a birth of ~1917...
Check record on the GRO – confirms this individual was born in 1917.

In fact, here's the full record for "that" Eric Hampson:

Name Eric Hampson
Death Age 78
Birth Date 9 Feb 1917
Registration Date Nov 1995
Registration district Newcastle Under Lyme
Inferred County Staffordshire
Register Number 42
District and Subdistrict 7332
Entry Number 144

A quick look at FreeBMD pulls up the birth record for the 1917-born Hampson. He was born in Leigh, Lancashire, and his mother's surname was Aldred. This contradicts the family trees on Ancestry that match these birth and death records. They give his mother as Emma Adams. FreeBMD confirms that Ms. Adams was the mother of the 1921 born Hampson.

This is why amateur genealogy is so dangerous. One person matches the wrong record, and then lots of others on Ancestry simply copy it.

I'm convinced the real Eric Hampson moved abroad.

Ah bumholes, thought we had it then. Let me do some more digging.

• Like 1

Okay, there are a few updates though:

Name
Mr John Simm
Birth
24 Nov 1929
Death
12 Apr 2018
Residence
Wigan, Wigan, England

Stan Nicholson: His birth entry says his mother's name was Lewis

Stanley Nicholson

1931–2023

BIRTH ABT SEP 1931 • Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England

DEATH 15 FEB 2023 • Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England

Mother is Olive Lewis, so it's the same chap.

• Like 2

On 29/06/2022 at 15:13, whoismakoto said:

Egypt

Abdel Aziz Kabil             

14 March 1927

Abdel Aziz Kabil also known as Mohamed Kabil (Wikidead at 96

Mentioned also by @arghton in Foreign Personalities thread

• Like 2

On 10/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, Gisooo said:

Abdel Aziz Kabil also known as Mohamed Kabil (Wikidead at 96

Mentioned also by @arghton in Foreign Personalities thread

The oldest Egyptian Olympian is now Wagih El-Attar, born on 22 February 1928. El-Attar represented his country in the four-man rowing event at the 1952 Helsinki Games, where Egypt was eliminated in the repechage of the first round. He had better luck at the 1955 Mediterranean Games, where he won bronze in the doubles limp. He now lives in Orange Country, California.

Not football league, but Roy Erskine, now 92, should get an obit (of sorts). Why should Stirling Albion's oldest living player be so notable for a so-so career with them and Cowdenbeath? 

Because he's Judy Murray's dad, Andy and Jamie Murray's grandad, that's why.

• Like 3

Thought this shot of Carlisle United's "legends" squad in their snazzy Slazenger sponsored sweaters might brighten the thread. A few notables and obitables Ray Train, Les O'Neill... still with us. 

Sadly, think Mrs Ure - front and centre - has gone. Can't recall exactly how many goals she scored that season. 

402343912_10159117657860981_497306620986

1 hour ago, Master Obit said:

@Octopus of Odstock - Do we know how accurate Hugman's footballers is for birthdates?

Relatively good, bear in mind the data on Hugmans comes from data compiled for over 40 years.

Of course, though, some people fudge their age.

I'd say it's 90 per cent accurate 

Just now, Octopus of Odstock said:

Relatively good, bear in mind the data on Hugmans comes from data compiled for over 40 years.

Of course, though, some people fudge their age.

I'd say it's 90 per cent accurate 

Cool.

The list on the first page, the ones that are GRO okay - is that up to 2021, or 2022 (or later?)

I'm willing to help in the sourcing of information as a result of my archiving work, so if you would be able to confirm what "x", "GRO OKAY", "alive" mean then it would be helpful.

Ray Griffiths died Q3/2022 in Warrington 

Norman Wood died Q1/2022 in Sunderland

None of the others on the first page were England or Wales casualties in 2022. Fire me any others you need checking (or any uncertainties from past years where you wasn't quite sure if it was the right one - I can check exact DOB) and I reckon we can get this list down a bit more.

• Thanks 1

GRO okay is up to 21  (haven't seen 2022 uploaded yet) and means there is no-one of that name dead in GRO.

Alive.means they're alive (for certain)

X means not sure.

6 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

GRO okay is up to 21  (haven't seen 2022 uploaded yet) and means there is no-one of that name dead in GRO.

Alive.means they're alive (for certain)

X means not sure.

It is on there if you are able to access the html. I also live in close proximity to the archives, so can check against the E+W death index there (which is up to Q1/2023 presently and which I'll work this list against when I next go). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you're able to supply me everything you need checking, then I can gladly supply you any deaths (such as the two I listed above.)

• Like 1