friedbutty

Holly Johnson

On 26/03/2021 at 00:30, time said:

sure...

Haha. I meant it in a different context. Calling Thatcher, Reagan and the televangelists mongs for their stupid actions. Rather than people with Downs, which indeed you should be disgusted by. Like if you called Cucker Tarlson fans retarded as opposed to someone who's legitimately intellectually-disabled.

On 30/03/2021 at 15:45, natquen said:

@msc Before the Spice Girls, Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers topped the UK singles chart with their first 3 singles, in 1989, equalling the then-record held by Gerry and the Pacemakers and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Oh Christ, I remember Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers...

• Like 1

Meant to say he was on Never Mind The Buzzcocks Christmas Special - currently being repeated now. Catch it if you can.

Looks much as he has done for years. He sings The Power Of Love at the end and his voice pretty much stands up.

• Like 2

This guy was on the DeathList the year I was born, that's pretty crazy, and he's still alive, that's also pretty crazy.

Yeah, I know, I'm one of the younger DeathListers around here.

6 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

This guy was on the DeathList the year I was born, that's pretty crazy, and he's still alive, that's also pretty crazy.

Well...he's celebrating (it that's the word) the 31st anniversary of his HIV diagnosis

5 minutes ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

It's not pretty crazy. He's only 62!

He would've been picked for DeathList in the early 90s because in 1991 he announced he had HIV. Back then it was 50/50 as to whether it became AIDS and killed you, but in the space of just a few years medications for HIV drastically improved, so Johnson was likely out of trouble by that point, and pretty much still is. Nowadays, for anyone who knows their HIV status, lives a healthy lifestyle and takes the appropriate medication, their life expectancy is the same as someone who doesn't have HIV.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It's not pretty crazy. He's only 62!

He would've been picked for DeathList in the early 90s because in 1991 he announced he had HIV. Back then it was 50/50 as to whether it became AIDS and killed you, but in the space of just a few years medications for HIV drastically improved, so Johnson was likely out of trouble by that point, and pretty much still is. Nowadays, for anyone who knows their HIV status, lives a healthy lifestyle and takes the appropriate medication, their life expectancy is the same as someone who doesn't have HIV.

Yeah, the medical advancement with HIV/AIDS is genuinely one of the great achievements of the last 30+ years. Folk who would  have had a death sentence in the early 80s can now live to old age - see Jerry Herman as a famous example but it's more common than dying of it now, unless you take the God will Cure me route that boxer did. 

The kicker as a music fan is that Freddie Mercury died a few mere months because the first drugs went on sale that helped people control his variant. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

Yeah, the medical advancement with HIV/AIDS is genuinely one of the great achievements of the last 30+ years. Folk who would  have had a death sentence in the early 80s can now live to old age - see Jerry Herman as a famous example but it's more common than dying of it now, unless you take the God will Cure me route that boxer did. 

The kicker as a music fan is that Freddie Mercury died a few mere months because the first drugs went on sale that helped people control his variant. 

That's true, though it was still give or take in many instances for the next decade or so. Kenny Everett died in 1995. Notable names were still dropping from it as far down the line and the late 90s/very early 00s I recall.

Whilst we're on this subject, a few years ago (3-4 maybe?) there was a story about the first known person with HIV to reach 100. Did we ever find out what happened to said person? 

49 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's true, though it was still give or take in many instances for the next decade or so. Kenny Everett died in 1995. Notable names were still dropping from it as far down the line and the late 90s/very early 00s I recall.

Whilst we're on this subject, a few years ago (3-4 maybe?) there was a story about the first known person with HIV to reach 100. Did we ever find out what happened to said person? 

https://bmcinfectdis.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12879-020-05020-8

The hereby called “Lisbon patient” was diagnosed with HIV infection at the age of 84, and peacefully died in his sleep 4 months after turning 100 years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/the-lisbon-patient-man-living-with-hiv-turns-100-1.4214965

Article from 2018

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1