gcreptile

Death By Numbers 2024

On 16/02/2024 at 12:13, BuffaloPhil said:

Looks like Alexei Navalny is a nice little hit for me here, picking up the "Most Surprising Death by Natural Causes" award (sponsored by Vladimir Putin.)

I think he is my only hit so far, and also the youngest on my list. 

Robert MacNeil and Josip Manolič are my second and third hits to date this month.

This pool seems to be the only place I am gaining points this month.

• Like 1

It is time, don't you think?

However, I think this will be one of two updates, as it's getting late, but I should get something done.

Let us begin with.... ah yes, Iris Apfel. The fashion designer proved, much like Baddie Winkle, that if you're old, colourful clothing makes you famous. It is something I aspire to follow. The colours shall not match and the eyes shall hurt. She was a hit for two people, including Torva Messor who also scored with Don Murray, the Oscar-nominated Hollywood actor with an extremely long career.

Next one is Cpt. Hemlock's unique hit of Bill Jorgensen. Who was that.... a longtime local New York anchorman. He got a New York Times obit  which might soon, i.e. next year,  be the only local obit source left standing. But you know, there's an exploit for any rule. And I love New York....

Next one is astronaut Tom Stafford - popular pick because of his hospitalization in late 2023. I've written a few words on him in the Cup thread.

Next up is Louis Gossett Jr., a hit for three teams. He'd been suffering from prostate cancer for a while. That, and his death, didn't keep him from appearing in four yet-to-be-released projects. He was a prolific actor, up until and seemingly even after his death.

Now we get to Torva Messor's third hit in this update, postmodernist novelist John Barth. I have never read him, and he seems to write books that can be appreciated but not really liked - because they're more an experience than a story.

Oh, and why not go ahead with Torva's hit number four as written above, Robert MacNeil. He was an esteemed Canadian journalist whose career really began with a bang when he accompanied John F. Kennedy during the ill-fated motorcade ride. He also worked for the BBC later on.

Now, the fifth name Torva mentioned, Josip Manolic, does not seem to have received an obit yet. He got the Washington Post yesterday, but not yet the New York Times.

Okay, and now that we've gone through Torva's unique hits, lets go back to Cpt. Hemlock's unique hits, specifically baseball coach and player Whitey Herzog. He was a World series champion as coach, not as player, seems to have done better there.

Akebono Taro is a unique hit for ThereWillBeDeaths7. The star sumo wrestler had been suffering from ill health for many years, and it was simply a question of time when his early death would arrive. Now, in spite of their immense body weight sumo ringers don't seem to be THAT susceptible to ill health. He was quite exceptional though in his stature and his health problems.

Banana scores a unique hit with college baseball trainer Pete Wilk. He had been suffering from glioblastoma and got a yahoo obit.

Next we come to Joe Kinnear, hit for two teams. I read that he was an Irishman who cursed a lot - a bit redundant. The defender spent most of his career at Tottenham where he won a couple of European trophies. A managerial career followed.

Then we get to Clarence "Frogman" Henry, a unique hit for Death Impends. One of those black musical pioneers you think they died in the 70s or something. Not many people are still alive who had hits in the 1950s....

Yorkshire Banker scores with Lynne Reid Banks. The childrens' and young adult author had two massive hits with "The Indian in the Cupboard" and "The L-shaped Room".

Two teams score with Philippe De Gaulle, Diego and The Daredevil. The french admiral was the son of Charles De Gaulle and "keeper of the flame", because he looked so much like his father, that people thought he had to be kind of the same person - or something like that. 

Okay, let us remain at that. These are the publicly posted hits, and the DDP hits from now on back to 1st of April - which means, yes, the whole of March is still in need of updating.

The 2nd half of this update will come later! Some patience please, it'll happen soon.

Rank Team Score
1 Perhaps 611
2 Banana 594
3 Cpt. Chorizo 564
4 RadGuy 497
5 Funeralopolis 493
6 Book 483
7 wannamaker 473
8 gcreptile 466
9 Toast 449
10 msc 422
11 tracy 390
12 The Immortal 386
13 Summer in Transilvania 380
14 Pedro67 376
15 Baby Blue 375
16 Mr. Wonderful 372
17 Etushipushingupdaisies 356
18 DeathBecomesThem 345
19 Caleb H 338
20 Death Impends 335
21 MariNisia 331
22 ThereWillBeDeaths7 316
23 Salmon Mousse 309
24 The Unknown Man 293
25 Buffalo Phil 277
26 Cpt. Hemlock 276
27 The old lady 268
28 Liz Lemon 230
29 Lady Fiona 224
30 Yorkshire Banker 217
31 Charles De Gaulle 215
32 Thatcher 213
33 Bibliogryphon 203
33 An Fear Beag 203
35 The Old Crem 202
36 John Key 201
37 The Daredevil 198
38 Imelda 185
39 Diego 161
40 TQR 153
41 Wormfarmer 140
42 Predictor 134
43 Sean 128
44 Annami 120
45 Torva Messor 111
46 Sod's Law 76
47 Great Uncle Bulgaria 73
47 Young Willz 73
49 arghton 67
50 Gooseberry Crumble 31
51 Hell 23
51 chileanway 23
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

.... if you're old, colourful clothing makes you famous. It is something I aspire to follow. The colours shall not match and the eyes shall hurt.

Ugh, for some reason your formatting won't delete :angry:

This reminded me of the poem "Warning" by Jenny Joseph:

When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat that doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin candles, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I am tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beer nuts and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

• Like 2

Thanks Toast, I like it.

• Like 1

Update, 2nd part:

So, I am continuing to work my way back into the past, next one is Frederic Mitterrand, nephew of Francois, and so, the 2nd french "relative of a president" who was also a little notable on their own. Frederic was a former minister of culture and is a hit for therewillbedeaths7.

Next one is M. Emmet Walsh, a unique hit for Tracy. Walsh was a reliable side actor on the big and small screen. Probably one of the biggest "I know the face" guys around.

Malachy McCourt is a hit for two players, Etushipushingupdaisies and SalmonMousse. Also a relative of a maybe more famous person, McCourt was a well-known but not super-famous writer, but also a well-known but not super-famous actor. He was also the Green Party candidate for New York Governor, so you see, he was a little bit of everything. While initially,  he entered hospice for ill health, he recovered and was thrown out again. But then, his recovery couldn't last forever.

Next up is Charlie Bird, the significant British reporter with the direct IRA connections. He was willing to go where nobody else went - including several jobs in war areas - and thus, his battle with ALS was widely covered, and exploited in this game.

Okay, that's for the DDP hits, as far as I can tell. Do we have any other hits?

Well, I see CalebH had KM Peyton - who however died in 2023 and has to be replaced with 1st sub Jimmy Carter.

Joe Shannon was a pick for several players, but did not receive a QO - so yes, this does seem to be it.

Quite a few names were missed, like OJ Simpson, for example, or Walid Daqqa.

The new scoreboard shows Perhaps losing the lead to Banana and Cpt. Chorizo because of missing out on Charlie Bird. Perhaps still has his joker back in hand though, but.. ahem... it's only Jimmy Carter, who isn't dying anyway....

Rank Team Score
1 Banana 643
2 Cpt. Chorizo 613
3 Perhaps 611
4 gcreptile 564
5 RadGuy 546
6 Funeralopolis 542
7 wannamaker 522
8 Book 483
9 msc 471
10 Toast 449
11 tracy 425
12 The Immortal 386
13 Summer in Transilvania 380
14 Pedro67 376
15 Baby Blue 375
16 Mr. Wonderful 372
17 ThereWillBeDeaths7 363
18 Salmon Mousse 358
19 Etushipushingupdaisies 356
20 DeathBecomesThem 345
21 Caleb H 338
22 Death Impends 335
23 MariNisia 331
24 The Unknown Man 293
25 Buffalo Phil 277
26 Cpt. Hemlock 276
27 The old lady 268
28 An Fear Beag 252
29 Imelda 234
30 Liz Lemon 230
31 Lady Fiona 224
32 Yorkshire Banker 217
33 Charles De Gaulle 215
34 Thatcher 213
35 Bibliogryphon 203
36 The Old Crem 202
37 John Key 201
38 The Daredevil 198
39 Predictor 183
40 Diego 161
41 TQR 153
42 Wormfarmer 140
43 Sean 128
44 Annami 120
45 Torva Messor 111
46 Sod's Law 76
47 Great Uncle Bulgaria 73
47 Young Willz 73
49 arghton 67
50 Gooseberry Crumble 31
51 Hell 23
51 chileanway 23

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Postupdate drop: Terry Carter.

So many drops i should name my team april shower.