Lafaucheuse

French Deathlist 2024

On 25/03/2024 at 19:00, Sinbabad said:

First time I ever heard this word ! I looked it up on google, but that’s not profiteroles, it’s a kind of pièce montée (pastry served at weddings)

It sounds French but in reality, it’s an other Scottish invention. They invented the telephone and that’s sound French too ! 

3 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

It sound French but in reality, it’s an other Scottish invention.

Ah c’est pour ça que ça me disait rien !

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

As far as I can see, neither Bob Dylan or Woody Allen made half of their career in France, But feel free to join our committee if you have some more useful names to give :) 

To end this debate, we stick to Clark being on the list, Linda de Suza for example, despite being Portuguese, would have been qualified for our list as she based her career essentially on french market. I repeat, this is a french speaking deathlist. I suspect we will just keep Clark’s until her demise  to piss people like you who don’t understand her impact in France and why she belongs in such a list.  

My friend, Linda de Souza was *French-Portuguese (Figaro, Le Monde)

4 hours ago, millwall32 said:

Do you really find it pedantic to point out that someone on a French Deathlist might not be French?

If there another word, i don't know it. Fussy ?

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, La Tombe said:

My friend, Linda de Souza was *French-Portuguese (Figaro, Le Monde)

Another example then? Joe Dassin.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Another example then? Joe Dassin.

Yes French-American.

Mike Brant then... Not french (he didn't even speak French) but career in France only... And a good candidate if not gone too soon.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

As far as I can see, neither Bob Dylan or Woody Allen made half of their career in France, But feel free to join our committee if you have some more useful names to give :) 

To end this debate, we stick to Clark being on the list, Linda de Suza for example, despite being Portuguese, would have been qualified for our list as she based her career essentially on french market. I repeat, this is a french speaking deathlist. I suspect we will just keep Clark’s until her demise  to piss people like you who don’t understand her impact in France and why she belongs in such a list.  

I'm still somewhat confused by the idea of someone being a "Francophone celebrity" making them eligible for your list.
Petula Clark gets on the list despite - as far as we know- not being French, but because she is famous in France and speaks French.

Eddie Izzard performs in French and speaks French. Would she be eligible?

Eddie Izzard Stripped Tout en Français! (youtube.com)

23 minutes ago, millwall32 said:

I'm still somewhat confused by the idea of someone being a "Francophone celebrity" making them eligible for your list.
Petula Clark gets on the list despite - as far as we know- not being French, but because she is famous in France and speaks French.

He is unknown in France, and even some people know him, he is British and lives in the UK...it's a Uk celebrity, so the answer is no.

Some famous foreign celebrities who can be in our deathlist are those who had an impact in France. For examples : Charlotte Rampling, Claudia Cardinale, both lives in France. But personalities such as Vangelis, Louise Fletcher never could have been added to our list in the past. 

Even if David Hockney, the famous English painter lives in a Normandy village now, he is still English and never made an impact in France. Other personalities famous in France but now lives abroad are Nana Mouskoury, the Greek singer who lives in Geneva with her French husband.

Giorgio Armani lives between Italy and Paris, where his fashion brand have stores...He is still Italian, and like others can not be added to our list.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, millwall32 said:

La Tombe explained it really well. As I say, Petula Clark made (more than) half her career in France, I think you’re not accustomed with this. It is a french speaking deathlist as jodorowski is in for example depsite being both french and chilian. I’d say if you wanna debate about that, first, try to learn about Petula’s impact and career in France or else, talk to me in private so we don’t pollute this thread unnecessaraly. 

Mo Farah is Somalian. Johanna Konta is Australian. Sandy Lyle is English. etcetera etcetera.

Preconceived ideas of nationality/domicile are surprising, sometimes. 

Given her hugely long career living in France and singing in French, I see no problem here. Call her an adopted daughter. It's an unnecessary itch to scratch, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Mo Farah is Somalian. Johanna Konta is Australian. Sandy Lyle is English. etcetera etcetera.

Preconceived ideas of nationality/domicile are surprising, sometimes. 

Given her hugely long career living in France and singing in French, I see no problem here. Call her an adopted daughter. It's an unnecessary itch to scratch, imo.

Mo Farah is *British-Somalian guy. It's a shame to not call him British, seeing his record.

Johanna Konta is Australian-British, she plays for the UK in tennis.

Just now, La Tombe said:

Mo Farah is *British-Somalian guy. It's a shame to not call him British, seeing his record.

I have a lot of names to call him.

Probably now best known for avoiding British tax by fucking off to the US as soon as he could, and being the guy who sells Quorn for a living.

1 minute ago, La Tombe said:

Johanna Konta is Australian-British, she plays for the UK in tennis.

What is the point of your responses?

My point is folk are quite happy to take the glory of foreign born sporty folk without questioning their "Britishness". I have the same opinion on Petula, and her French credentials.

• Like 1

My point is we have to accept the will of each one, if one person wants to represent Britain in a competition and take British citizenship, for me she is British.

@La Faucheuse

I'm sorry if I'm being dumb here. Help me understand once and for all. To qualify for this particular Death List the criteria are that you have to be 

a) French

and/or

b) Francophone

and/or

c) Have had "an impact in France'. Not merely performed in France, or be famous in France, but have your main or ongoing source of fame be *in France*.

Have I understood correctly?

20 minutes ago, La Tombe said:

My point is we have to accept the will of each one, if one person wants to represent Britain in a competition and take British citizenship, for me she is British.

Hmm.

So we are to be mind readers? :lol: Is clairvoyant a French word? ;)

A lot of it in the sporting world is taking the British sports subsidies and lottery support. Yes, it's the free money. 

It's very easy to change your citizenship, very very difficult to lose your domicile of birth. Notwithstanding that, this is a storm in cup of cafe au lait. 

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

It's very easy to change your citizenship, very very difficult to lose your domicile of birth.

Not if you're Shamima Begum apparently.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

this is a storm in cup of cafe au lait.

That'd be storm in a coffee cup (with milk). What you really want is tempete dans une tasse de the (according to google translate anyway, my french is up to the task of coffee but not tea or storms).

Anyyyyywayyyyyy. Surely it's a French list for French members and they can call on whomever they like really - non? It could be as unimportant as once used french polish, drank french onion soup or even do what one does in a french letter (though how would one know?).

Centreville just doesn't have the same ring to it as Downtown mind.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, En Passant said:

That'd be storm in a coffee cup (with milk). What you really want is tempete dans une tasse de the (according to google translate anyway, my french is up to the task of coffee but not tea or storms)

The correct expression is "tempête dans un verre d’eau" (storm in a glass of water)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sinbabad said:

The correct expression is "tempête dans un verre d’eau" (storm in a glass of water)

Quel dommage.  "Tempête dans une tasse de thé" would have sounded much snappier.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

Quel dommage.  "Tempête dans une tasse de thé" would have sounded much snappier.

If you like there’s the expression "ce n’est pas ma tasse de thé" (that is not my cup of tea) used  for something you don’t like or know. For example : "La politique ce n’est pas ma tasse de thé" (politics is not my cup of tea)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, millwall32 said:

*he

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Sinbabad said:

If you like there’s the expression "ce n’est pas ma tasse de thé" (that is not my cup of tea) used  for something you don’t like or know. For example : "La politique ce n’est pas ma tasse de thé" (politics is not my cup of tea)

Yes, we have that saying in English too.

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

*he

You should be facepalming yourself @TQR.

I've known Eddie for 20 years. He used to openly admit that he wore women's clothes for entertainment purposes and because it gave him a thrill. Now he's on this "I'm a bloke but call me her" wagon, which in my opinion makes a complete mockery of people who are genuinely transgender. So yes, it's "he", and HE is a pervert in a frock. Nothing more.

• Shocked 1