gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

This has been a year of too much lingering on, and so, too many defensive picks on the teams. Carter, Chomsky, Wayne Eddy, maybe also Jane McAlevey, and Dylan Willows for a couple of months. The scores have been relatively low because of that, but then maybe it's actual medical progress. Carter is breaking hospice records now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

This has been a year of too much lingering on, and so, too many defensive picks on the teams. Carter, Chomsky, Wayne Eddy, maybe also Jane McAlevey, and Dylan Willows for a couple of months. The scores have been relatively low because of that, but then maybe it's actual medical progress. Carter is breaking hospice records now.

Chomsky, in my honest opinion, has the potential to end up another barely alive stroke "zombie" for months or even years.

While they're not current picks, I'd add Mongo McMichael and Jayapataka Swami to the group. Coincidentally both of them seemed near death in August last year (Mongo with his ALS, sepsis and pneumonia, Jaya with kidney failure and pulmonary edema) and then again earlier this year. Two medical miracles of the highest order, it makes zero sense to me how they've survived those hospitalisations when similar stuff kills people who are decades younger and in much better health.

• Like 2

Add Joanne Woodward (who is also not a pick this round) to the long term hospice picks, who are stubbornly clinging to life.

1 minute ago, Captain Hemlock said:

Add Joanne Woodward to the long term hospice picks, who are stubbornly clinging to life.

I had a dream where she died last night.

Given she's a pick on the current DL, not sure why dream me thought it was legit.

• Like 2

Steve Gleason was diagnosed with ALS in 2011 and continues to survive.

Well, somebody who did not outstay his welcome was Simon Cowell MBE (as opposed to Simon Cowell without MBE). The conservationist and TV documentary host died less than two years after his lung cancer diagnosis - though one might think that him surviving 2023 was already slightly unexpected. News of him nearing the end were quite public in May, and consequently three of the four teams picked him, with max_bossetti scoring lead-grabbing joker points:

GuyFromFuture 3-3 wannamaker

Banana 4-6 max_bossetti

• Like 1

Johnny Canales was a mexican Tejano singer and musician who had his own show, The Johnny Canales Show on American television from 80s to the 2000s. He served as a pipeline to funnel mexican talent into the American market, like Selena.

Canales was said to be very ill in the middle of the previous month, but a few days later he said that it's not that bad - but it turns out that it was.

Wannamaker luckily didn't believe him and can partly compensate for the previous joker mishap.

GuyFromFuture 3-7 wannamaker

Banana 4-6 max_bossetti

• Like 2

This changes nothing but Roberto Luckert died. Nothing in english yet.

3 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

It's not an obituary, but is an English acknowledgement of Roberto Luckert Leon's death:

https://www.catholic-hierarchy.org/bishop/blule.html

I think I saw that, or something similar.

While I'm occupied here in Munich, I am not exactly inclined to accept these news compilation pages. I'll have another look though. As long as this match-up doesn't enter historical levels, it shouldn’t matter after all.

Technically, the submission period for the final teams is open from today on, so you may submit ;).

A sleepy semi-finals round reaches its final day. If it stays like this, there are teams with six surviving hospice people.

Maybe the definition of hospice has changed? Maybe it's not what it used to be! It is somewhat comical that they all just hang on.

The final match-up:

wannamaker vs   max_bossetti
1 Syed Golam Sarwar (Haq Chacha) (Joker)   1 Chuwit Kamolvisit (joker)
2 Chuwit Kamolvisit   2 Noam Chomsky
3 Linda Tirado    3 Joanna Paul-Robie
4 Brian Dayett   4 Jimmy Carter
5 Jimmy Carter   5 Linda Tirado
6 Dave Cokin   6 Paul Harrell
7 Tim Katona (NRHA)   7 Wayne Eddy 
8 Simon Boas   8 Jayapataka Swami
9 K. M. Shafiullah   9 Steve McCoy
10 Norm McPhee (Theatre Director)   10 Jane McAlevey
11 Paul Harrell   11 Brian Dayett

Sub:     Sub:  
1 Wayne Eddy   1 Frank Caprio
2 Yehuda Deri   2 Jamal Yunos
3 Baselios Thomas I   3 Sean Wallace

wannamaker has two fringe-y names in Tim Katona and Norm McPhee. However, both of them received nationwide recognition. If, for example, Norm McPhee was "only" a community theatre director, he wouldn't count because his fame would be "too local". But here are some sources for these two showing them receiving national awards:

https://racinecountyeye.com/2021/06/08/racine-theatre-director-aact-national-award/

https://bellevilleareaindependent.com/tim-katona-earns-nrha-lifetime-achievement-award/

By the way, I liked how I received both teams within 8 minutes.

• Like 6

Good luck to both @wannamaker and @max_bossetti in the final. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's quite unbelievable, but yes, a person in hospice care has died, and they were picked in this round!

Jane McAlevey was part activist, part academic - a frequent combination in leftist circles! She was an internationally renowned name for her research on labour rights and her hands-on activism. In fact, the second obit I found of her today was from the german Rosa Luxemburg-Stiftung. She wrote a couple books on organizing labor into a political force and was in the midst of labour battles right until the end, when the Volkswagen plant in Tennessee got forced into accepting unionization.

McAlevey was diagnosed with ovarian cancer already back in 2009 actually, beat it, but then got ill with multiple myeloma in 2021 and lasted for three more years.

Unfortunately, wannamaker ran out of patience and switched out a few of the hospice names, whereas max_bossetti kept the faith and is rewarded:

wannamaker 0-4 max_bossetti

• Like 2

wannamaker strikes back with a unique hit of his own just around half-time. Simon Boas was the executive director of the Jersey Overseas Aid. Admittedly not the biggest claim to fame, but I had accepted him in the previous round already because a look at their website (https://joa.je/) convinced me that this was an official enough position to count. You can see, Jersey even has their own web domain, so it's like a ministry of foreign aid, only for tiny, semi-independent Jersey. Now, Simon Boas had already worked in humanitarian aid before although these earlier positions alone would not have qualified him. Plus, he wrote the obligatory cancer blog that will be turned into a book later in the year. Through some strange momentum, his illness was covered quite extensively in the past weeks. After all, he had friends in high places. He died shortly before meeting King Charles,  and received all the obligatory obits, from BBC to Daily Mail. wannamaker takes the lead because Simon Boas died at 47, while Jane McAlevey died at 59.

wannamaker 4-4 max_bossetti

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Oh, I just realized that wannamaker's pick Tim Katona is dead:

https://www.davidcbrownfh.com/obituaries/Timothy-Katona?obId=32355781

But there is no obit yet. He's been dead for 10 days, will it happen?

Closest thing I could find is this https://reiningfoundation.com/timkatona from the reining horse foundation, part of the death report is copied from the funeral home so it probably doesn't count.

On 22/07/2024 at 14:29, wannamaker said:

Closest thing I could find is this https://reiningfoundation.com/timkatona from the reining horse foundation, part of the death report is copied from the funeral home so it probably doesn't count.

Now the National Reining Horse Foundation has an obit for him https://news.nrha.com/in-memory-of-tim-katona/, but it's practically the same as the one above, so again, it probably doesn't count.