gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

11 hours ago, max_bossetti said:

Yes, it doesn't count. It seems mostly copy/pasted from the legacy obit, i.e. it's a paid obituary. "Please join us in celebrating..."

Btw, the Silvio Luiz obit seems a bit flimsy but I couldn't yet find any conclusive evidence that it's a simple google translate from something else, or that it's AI-generated. So for now, I assume that it's just poorly done but it counts. Still, that site seems to be the only one providing something english - and so far, not auto-translated. But I am open to objections.

On the other hand.... while it was very strange that an influencer with +500.000 followers (That's not just Cup-qualifying but DDP-qualifying!) didn't receive an obit, the person behind the account, i.e. Tyler Powell, did receive a QO:

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/05/man-dies-of-injuries-after-fall-in-giraffe-enclosure-at-deer-tracks-junction.html

The obit doesn't mention the social media account - but for this game it still counts, so the arghton vs. wannamaker game is basically a competition of suboptimal obits:

Perhaps 0-4 GuyFromFuture

arghton 4-4 wannamaker

Banana 0-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 0-4 max_bossetti

• Like 2

Jan Nicolay, a pick for a couple of us, died yesterday.   Incredibly, for one of the best known educators in Sioux City, she's not seeing much in the way of proper obit action yet. 

I understand she has one in the Dakota Free Press, but I can't get the website to load. :huh:

On 19/05/2024 at 13:46, DevonDeathTrip said:

Jan Nicolay, a pick for a couple of us, died yesterday.   Incredibly, for one of the best known educators in Sioux City, she's not seeing much in the way of proper obit action yet. 

I understand she has one in the Dakota Free Press, but I can't get the website to load. :huh:

I suppose this counts as a proper obit https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/remembering-jan-nicolay/

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, wannamaker said:

I suppose this counts as a proper obit https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/remembering-jan-nicolay/

Ah yes, I was waiting for that one!

I probably would have counted other obits, too, but not without a more detailed explanantion.

Anyway, Jan Nicolay was an educator and politician. Her work in the educational field seems to be more appreciated, but being head of the South Dakota House appropriations committee was, nominally, the bigger role. In both roles, she was regarded as a trailblazer. She's also blazing a trail in the scoreboards as wannamaker and DDT score extremely valuable joker points. But remember, Nicolay is just one of the two "Must haves" as I announced at the beginning of the round. Brian Dayett is still alive (as of now). So the final words might not have been spoken yet.

arghton 4-10 wannamaker

Banana 0-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 6-4 max_bossetti

Also, if you want to, you can submit your teams for the next round from tomorrow on.

I assume though that my inbox will remain relatively empty for a few more days.

Also tomorrow: the coin toss for the remaining 0-0 game.

This is good news.  I was worried more important things might have been happening in South Dakota.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Anyway, Jan Nicolay was an educator and politician. Her work in the educational field seems to be more appreciated, but being head of the South Dakota House appropriations committee was, nominally, the bigger role. In both roles, she was regarded as a trailblazer. She's also blazing a trail in the scoreboards as wannamaker and DDT score extremely valuable joker points.

arghton 4-12 wannamaker

DevonDeathTrip 8-4 max_bossetti

@gcreptile... Jan Nicolay was a joker hit for @DevonDeathTrip and @wannamaker, but obviously she wasn't a solo hit.

Probably... 6 points instead of 8. Am I missing something?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, MariNisia said:

@gcreptile... Jan Nicolay was a joker hit for @DevonDeathTrip and @wannamaker, but obviously she wasn't a solo hit.

Probably... 6 points instead of 8. Am I missing something?

You're right, sorry!

The coin toss:

Banana vs. msc.... 2-3.

I kind of didn't want to do it, but it is what it is.

If I was playing, my team would look quite like Banana's team....but msc does have a skill to not forget the continuously frail. I hope that match gets a legit hit.

image.thumb.png.b97695dcdd123808cbd24e981c742a2c.png

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

The coin toss:

Banana vs. msc.... 2-3.

I kind of didn't want to do it, but it is what it is.

If I was playing, my team would look quite like Banana's team....but msc does have a skill to not forget the continuously frail. I hope that match gets a legit hit.

image.thumb.png.b97695dcdd123808cbd24e981c742a2c.png

It's for the best :salute:

The gods have sent me my salvation.

Bette Nash, world's longest-active flight attendant has died and is a hit for Banana: https://airlinegeeks.com/2024/05/25/world-s-longest-serving-flight-attendant-passes-away/

arghton 4-10 wannamaker

Banana 4-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 6-4 max_bossetti

Not quite the hit I expected from his team, but here it is. Bette Nash held the Guinness World Record for her activity, for the highest age and most flights, and had a series of articles written on her in recent years. She was still active until very recently - when she had a very quick downturn from breast cancer. 

• Like 2

Rena Venieri is a hit for arghton.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Rena Venieri is a hit for arghton.

Thanks, she does need an english-language obit now though, or one of the listed foreign sources.

Things are speeding up,  College director Craig Cobane has died:

https://wkuherald.com/76830/news/craig-cobane-executive-director-of-the-honors-college-has-passed-away/

He was hired as executive director to manage Kentucky's first Honor college, and he was a published academic himself, so sort of a University president of an admittedly, not necessarily top tier university. As I mentioned before, not the biggest fame credentials, but you saw me accepting him. So the people who did not pick him in this round, you are missing out on the points, but you do receive the honor of not stealing somebody else's picks. And yes, Craig Cobane didn't look THAT close to death's door at the most recent instagram posts two weeks ago.

The DDT vs. max_bossetti matchup changes leads for a second time. DDT has a couple of outs left though.

arghton 4-10 wannamaker

Banana 7-0 msc

DevonDeathTrip 6-7 max_bossetti

• Like 2

Unsurprisingly, I've only received one team so far.

People who have submitted yet, you know who you are, you've got a bit more than 24 hours left.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2024 at 12:46, DevonDeathTrip said:

Just noticed this and forgive me for my America-centric correction. Sioux City is in Iowa, Sioux Falls is the one in South Dakota.

• Like 1

Maguni Charan Kuanr died just a couple of hours too late to give DDT the win. The Times of India obit gives today as date of death, and the earliest obit seems to have come about 4 hours ago.

I noticed that DDT always seems good for a late-in-the-month hit. The timing was just a tiny bit off this time. 

• Like 1

Semi-finals matchups:

GuyFromFuture vs   Wannamaker
1 Amarildo   1 Mažeika P. Sullivan (joker)
2 Jane McAlevey   2 Simon Cowell (Wildlife SOS)
3 Jimmy Carter (joker)   3 Amarildo
4 Kaiti Grey   4 Noam Chomsky
5 Noam Chomsky   5 Jane McAlevey 
6 Princess Mikasa   6 David Kagel
7 Richard Rohmer   7 Johnny Canales
8 Shigeo Nagashima   8 Jimmy Carter
9 Sonja de Lennart   9 Esther Rantzen
10 Simon Cowell (wildlife)   10 Brian Dayett
11 Wayne Eddy   11 Wayne Eddy

Sub:     Sub:  
1 Terry Jon Martin   1 Mamie Laverock
2 Jose Mujica   2 Chuwit Kamolvisit
3 Amanda Bynes   3 Terry Jon Martin

Banana vs   max_bossetti
1 Jane McAlevey (JOKER)   1 Simon Cowell (Wildlife)(joker)
2 Paul Harrell   2 Noam Chomsky
3 Brian Dayett   3 Pedro Sarmiento
4 Jimmy Carter   4 Jimmy Carter
5 Heinz Hoenig (actor)   5 Roberto Lückert
6 Rista Laboni Shimana   6 Paul Harrell
7 Mamie Laverock   7 Wayne Eddy 
8 Robert Luckert (bishop)   8 Frank Caprio
9 Noam Chomsky   9 Steve McCoy
10 Wayne Eddy   10 Jane McAlevey
11 Simon Boas (Executive Director of Jersey Overseas Aid) 11 Brian Dayett

Sub:     Sub:  
1 Sven-Goran Eriksson   1 Jamal Yunos
2 Dylan Willows   2 Sean Wallace
3 Sean Wallace   3 Rob Burrow
  • Like 2

Robert Pickton actually had to be subbed for one team.

Robert Luckert and Roberto Lückert are the same person I -- heavily - assume.

Well done @max_bossetti.  I think that's a fair result and, even if my deceased puppeteer had scored me points, I hadn't done anything about getting a new team together, so would have been disqualified anyway.

Will be back next year for more. :)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Well done @max_bossetti.  I think that's a fair result and, even if my deceased puppeteer had scored me points, I hadn't done anything about getting a new team together, so would have been disqualified anyway.

Will be back next year for more. :)

Quite the upset by upstart max.  Done in by a University President!

I’d be lying to say I wasn’t rooting for DDT to go all the way.  Carry the torch proudly @max_bossetti.

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2024 at 03:46, gcreptile said:

Semi-finals matchups:

GuyFromFuture vs   Wannamaker
1 Amarildo   1 Mažeika P. Sullivan (joker)
2 Jane McAlevey   2 Simon Cowell (Wildlife SOS)
3 Jimmy Carter (joker)   3 Amarildo
4 Kaiti Grey   4 Noam Chomsky
5 Noam Chomsky   5 Jane McAlevey 
6 Princess Mikasa   6 David Kagel
7 Richard Rohmer   7 Johnny Canales
8 Shigeo Nagashima   8 Jimmy Carter
9 Sonja de Lennart   9 Esther Rantzen
10 Simon Cowell (wildlife)   10 Brian Dayett
11 Wayne Eddy   11 Wayne Eddy

Mažeika P. Sullivan died on May 31st but it was announced on June 5th, second pick of mine that dies before the cup round :banghead: 

4 hours ago, wannamaker said:

Mažeika P. Sullivan died on May 31st but it was announced on June 5th, second pick of mine that dies before the cup round :banghead: 

Oh dear.. Unfortunately, this is a worst case for you according to the rules.

I'll try to post an update tonight, definitely tomorrow.

Banana opens the round with Bangladeshi actress Rista Laboni Shimana. We've been a little short on those subcontinent names this year, haven't we? She was discovered in a casting show in 2006 and had been a steady figure in TV shows, commercials, modeling, and the like. A nasty brain hemorrhage unfortunately ended her life at only 39.

In other news, wannamaker's joker Dr. Mazeika Sullivan already died in May, but it was only revealed on the 4th of this month. According to the rules then, wannamaker is "Out of luck", and has to continue without those joker points.

But then, even if he had died a day later, there's no obit coming up. There's the legacy obit that doesn't count: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/dr-sean-mazeika-sullivan-obituary?id=55283305

If nobody else has the strong wish to take over, I will probably host for another year. And I think I have to set the bar for qualification for the academic types a little higher - I might even be doing the players a favour with this...

But then wannamaker's first sub would have been Mamie Loverock who is "miraculously recovering". So, it's probably a wash anyway.

GuyFromFuture 0-0 wannamaker

Banana 4-0 max_bossetti

• Like 6