gcreptile

Deathlist Cup 2024

I think I'll have to work on the formatting, but will not do so today.

OF COURSE, the first hit of the game is a basketball hockey baseball coach. Former Florida State coach Mike Martin dies of complications of Lewy body dementia at 79. He did us all a favor lasting just barely into the month of February after entering hospice two weeks ago. He kicks off the season with a bang, scoring for multiple people, including a couple of joker bonus points.

livingbygrace 0-0 Therewillbedeaths7

Gooseberry Crumble 0-6 Famous6eva

GuyFromFuture 6-3 Liz Lemon

Caleb H 0-0 Bibliogryphon

Dying Probably 0-3 max bossetti

Wormfarmer 0-0 Thatcher

Yorkshire Banker 3-0 DeathByArsenic

The Immortal 0-0 justonecornetto

GreatUncleBulgaria 0-3 Mortal Caso

theoldlady 0-0 Baby Blue

• Like 6

Some notes:

I was forced to turn the first pick of one team into a joker because they didn't choose one and didn't get back to me in time.

My favourite game of this round: The Immortal vs. justonecornetto aka Frank & Bean vs. Paul and Barbara.

I ... think .... I am going to draw the brackets for the rest of the game this weekend. I currently have to do these things on the weekends and might not get to do it later this month.

• Like 4

Looks like a great lineup of names from the teams.. But I am confused that only some of the teams are listed with their name picks.  4 matches are missing with their names.  Is there a reason for it?

7 hours ago, livingbygrace said:

Looks like a great lineup of names from the teams.. But I am confused that only some of the teams are listed with their name picks.  4 matches are missing with their names.  Is there a reason for it?

They should all be there. Are you looking at the site on mobile? Some teams might be far to the right.

I will re-arrange the teams soon 

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Some teams might be far to the right.

Did some people pick Norman Tebbit then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, gcreptile said:

They should all be there. Are you looking at the site on mobile? Some teams might be far to the right.

I will re-arrange the teams soon 

I am on my computer, and I personally can not see anything further to the right by trying to scroll right.. Hmm maybe the  re-arranging will help. I am not sure about anyone else but what I see is only three lines down of teams and 4 teams across.

Looks like this...

livingbygrace vs therewillbedeaths7        Gooseberry Crumble vs Famous6leva

Dying Probably  vs  max bassetti        wormfarmer  vs Thatcher

GreatUncleBulgeria  vs MontalCaso          the old lady   vs  Baby Blue

It's no big deal get to it when you can if there is a problem with the layout.  I know we have lives and are busy.

I am able to see all team line-ups on laptop by using right arrow key to scroll across.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, justonecornetto said:

I am able to see all team line-ups on laptop by using right arrow key to scroll across.

Sure enough I am able to as well.. It was strange it did not work for me last night but I am able to scroll this morning..  Thanks justonecornetto...  Sorry for the trouble gcreptile, looks like everything is just fine.

• Like 1

I looked at my opponent's @CalebH  team and we have no overlap (though they did include one of my subs in their team)

My only hope is for one hit each and me to go through on age of hit. My team is relatively younger (if you exempt June Spencer)

Am I going to be scuppered by not including Jimmy Carter?

• Like 1

TV famous home renovator Jonnie Irwin has died and is a hit for three teams - so yes, Mike Martin was a more popular hit this round than Irwin. But then, even though Irwin was almost universally picked for 2024 deadpools, he wasn't expected to die in February. His final instagram post was on January 26th in which he still had plans for working on his home. But the clock runs down and eventually his time ran out, it must have been an emergency situation. Bibliogryphon scores joker points.

Max Bossetti scores the first unique hit of the year with Spanish politician Lorenzo Olarte. The former less-than-one-term president of the Canary Islands seems more suited for the "Not gone yet, but still forgotten" team on the DDP, but news of his hospitalization in late January made him a target here, being already 91 years old. And yes, El Mundo is a QO here.

livingbygrace 0-3 Therewillbedeaths7

Gooseberry Crumble 0-6 Famous6eva

Caleb H 0-6 Bibliogryphon

Dying Probably 0-7 max bossetti

Wormfarmer 3-0 Thatcher

theoldlady 0-0 Baby Blue

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.bf601dcdf63c26745e8d8ada7cacbd79.png

The bracket has been drawn..... proof above.

Seeds were determined by the order on the first page of this thread, and the ten current games were seeded in order of the scoreboard in the previous post.

Some matchups were too long for the fields I guess.

So the next round will be:

AltObitsGuy vs. theoldlady or BabyBlue

Perhaps vs. The Killing Time

Spade_Cooley vs. GuyFromFuture or LizLemon

Hell vs. Gooseberry Crumble or Famous6eva

Grim Up North vs. Yorkshire Banker or Death By Arsenic

Captain Chorizo vs. arghton

wannamaker vs. Wormfarmer or Thatcher

MariNisia vs. JoeMoneypenny

Banana vs. GreatUncleBulgaria or Mortal Caso

Annami vs. Sideik

deadsox vs. CalebH or Bibliogryphon

msc vs. livingbygrace or Therewillbedeaths7

DevonDeathTrip vs. The Immortal or justonecornetto

Sir Creep vs. diego

An Fear Beag vs. Dying Probably or max bossetti

Captain Hemlock vs. The Old Crem

And future rounds will go from there...

Edit: Well, I just noticed that the brackets aren't really random. It's simply 1vs32, 2vs31, 3vs 30 and so on.... It ensures that the top-seeded numbers 1 and 2 are on different halves of the board etc.... However, I will keep it as it is, lest it turns into an order that I "feel" is right. I'll try to go for something more random next year, I guess. And I am not mad with what it turned out to be.

• Like 12

It’s always fun seeing the newbies February entries on DL Cup; won’t they be astonished to see the prospective names that appear next round.  

Hamrin is a hit here.

• Like 1

Heh, Cup and DeathByNumbers.... full-time job...

Alright, let's do this while we're at it. All purposes QO for Kurt Hamrin: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/25709016/kurt-hamrin-dead-world-cup-pele/

Occasionally, Sweden becomes a surprise title contender at the Football World Cup, though admittedly, they only did so once in the past 60 years. Their biggest achievement was the 2nd place in 1958 though and Hamrin seems to have been the most prominent name of that team only stopped by the Brazilian team that began to shape itself around a young Pelé. Famous6eva was the only one to pick Hamrin and gets richly rewarded with a double-digit lead.

livingbygrace 0-3 Therewillbedeaths7

Gooseberry Crumble 0-10 Famous6eva

Caleb H 0-6 Bibliogryphon

Wormfarmer 3-0 Thatcher

theoldlady 0-0 Baby Blue

• Like 6

20 hours ago, gcreptile said:

An Fear Beag vs. Dying Probably or max bossetti

20 hours ago, gcreptile said:

And I am not mad with what it turned out to be.

I am hopping mad - that is an absolute stinker of a draw :angry:

Looking at the teams in the last round, @max_bossettilooks to be a very strong player. Definitely not the sort you want to be running into in your first match.

(Sorry @Dying Probably - I'n not giving you much chance of a comeback - in fact I reckon a squonking could be on the cards:()

• Like 1

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Looking at the teams in the last round, @max_bossettilooks to be a very strong player. Definitely not the sort you want to be running into in your first match.

(Sorry @Dying Probably - I'n not giving you much chance of a comeback - in fact I reckon a squonking could be on the cards:()

Well you have a month to pick a perfect team for yourself to get ready for what might be a hard match.  Don't have the feelings of defeat when it hasn't even started for you yet.

3 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

I think your game will be the highlight of round two, it's evenly matched - if I may say so. It's very rare that a new player already shows a team that could be worthy of a title contender.

But it can happen in football tournaments, too. If a sheikh buys some fifth-league team and gets a couple of world class players, any Cup draw that is supposed to avoid top matchups in the first round will have such a game.

I suspect that a different kind of random draw would have led to more such imbalances.

Looks like Toby Keith was a miss by all of us.  I thought for sure he was in no danger for the month.. He was on tour and I saw a recent interview where he did look thin and a bit gaunt but he did not look like he was at death's door either.  Figured maybe later this year he would have popped up on someones list but definitely looked like he was going to make it through this month at the very least.

• Like 3

On 05/02/2024 at 11:39, livingbygrace said:

Well you have a month to pick a perfect team for yourself to get ready for what might be a hard match.  Don't have the feelings of defeat when it hasn't even started for you yet.

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no feelings of defeat. I am fully confident of victory - I am just going to have to spend a lot more effort than I had hoped for to achieve it :D

And I will definitely not be spending a month picking a team. Given that my picks have a habit of dying the day before the match starts, I shall start putting a team together around teatime on deadline day. 

• Like 1

Seiji Ozawa has passed the baton for good at the age of 88. The japanese conductor had been suffering from Alzheimer's for a while now and looked very diminished in some final pictures a couple of months ago. He was an eminent conductor after a rugby iinjury to his finger destroyed his dreams of becoming a pianist. He was a lover of 20th century classical music, you know, the weird, difficult kind. Three teams score but the lead changes nowhere (after accounting for tie-breakers).

livingbygrace 0-6 Therewillbedeaths7

Gooseberry Crumble 0-10 Famous6eva

Caleb H 3-6 Bibliogryphon

Wormfarmer 3-0 Thatcher

Yorkshire Banker 3-3 DeathByArsenic

theoldlady 0-0 Baby Blue

• Like 5

Tomorrow morning, I will be leaving for a holiday. So there may not be any updates until I'm back. I return late on the 18th, so there should be an update on the 19th at the latest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Tomorrow morning, I will be leaving for a holiday. So there may not be any updates until I'm back. I return late on the 18th, so there should be an update on the 19th at the latest.

Well I am just arriving in Germany this evening.  Work not holiday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well I am just arriving in Germany this evening.  Work not holiday.

Well, hello and goodbye then ;). Somehow I bet you're not going to Berlin this time, but if you're ever here, we can have a beer.

• Like 3