Guest Banshees Scream

Boris Yeltsin

Another bad miss for the DL Committee. I think we should sentence ourselves to 20 years hard labour in a Siberian salt mine as a punishment for missing, and tribute to, President Yeltsin.

Even as I'm having a hell of a great day, this just sinks this years list deeper into one hit misery.

There is a lesson in all of this.

He drank like a fish, lived a less than clean living life yet he hung on, despite being hospitalised umpteen times, until the ripe old age of 76.

As a contrast a 23yr old man died "peacefully" after completing the London Marathon, a feat Boris could never have achieved.

Ive decided to go back to the ciggies,and a bottle of Havana club a night which, I reckon, may see me into my 90s.

A quick check on previous years lists reveals that old Boris was a regular favourite up until the year 2000 ,consistently in the top 3 or 4 ,until jhe was dropped never to be seen again.In fact his death means that virtually all the names from the lists up until the year 2000 have now passed on!

I notice that Mikhail Gorbachev is exactly the same age as Yeltsin,and had a serious operation recently on a major artery.Maybe it would be fitting if they both went together...

I'm surprised he wasnt on the list. I logged in today expecting finally a second success. This is looking like the most dismal year yet. After finishing last year so well. Maybe a big last few months will happen again

Yeltsin dead at 76.Can't believe wasn't on the list.

Here we go, more and more people jumping on that old band wagon. I'd hazard a guess that having scoured every available source the committee were left with the assumption that there were much more fitting candidates this year, and I would also guess that they did analyse people like Yeltsin but figured they'd probably have a few more years left in the old tank. If Castro lasts into next year will he go down as a bad choice? I would agree with some of the sentiment echoed in here that the list might be a little bit old age heavy, but it may have escaped some people's attention but old people usually die first. Yeltsin dying at 76 would probably be statistically young for a Russian, Eastern Europeans seem to last a lot longer than Western ones. Is there any truth in the rumour that his vodka transfusion to save him contained Smirnoff when old Yeltsin was full of Absolut, thus complicating his troubles?

Spasiba Boris, moy angelochek!

He was my first hit on two deadpools and he was also dead last on each list.

It's my first year and Hartlepool and Derby, so I'm kinda disappointed that

it was Boris and not one of the usual suspects who are real stinkers,

or in comas, or just hanging in there like a rotten tooth.

Maybe his doctors are to blame, taking away both the Smirnoffs and the Absolute,

sending his system into shock and his soul into oblivion.

Do Svindanya, Boris.

Here we go, more and more people jumping on that old band wagon. I'd hazard a guess that having scoured every available source the committee were left with the assumption that there were much more fitting candidates this year, and I would also guess that they did analyse people like Yeltsin but figured they'd probably have a few more years left in the old tank. If Castro lasts into next year will he go down as a bad choice? I would agree with some of the sentiment echoed in here that the list might be a little bit old age heavy, but it may have escaped some people's attention but old people usually die first. Yeltsin dying at 76 would probably be statistically young for a Russian, Eastern Europeans seem to last a lot longer than Western ones. Is there any truth in the rumour that his vodka transfusion to save him contained Smirnoff when old Yeltsin was full of Absolut, thus complicating his troubles?

You taking the piss?Russians have among the lowest life expectancy in Europe.Point was, he'd been on the list several times before and has a history of heart problems.Maybe they should have tried Stoli.Also,how could Castro be a bad choice?At the start of the year he was odds on,so it would just be a case of bad luck for the committee were he to live.

[blank post removed - h]

Edited by honez

You taking the piss?Russians have among the lowest life expectancy in Europe.Point was, he'd been on the list several times before and has a history of heart problems.Maybe they should have tried Stoli.Also,how could Castro be a bad choice?At the start of the year he was odds on,so it would just be a case of bad luck for the committee were he to live.

Castro isn't a bad choice, but come 1st Jan 2008 there'll be some muppet saying he was. What I was basically trying to say is that whoever is chosen in the 50 there'll always be some member/ guest annoyed at their inclusion, or if someone's passed over for the 50 there'll be some one saying they should have been included. How many UK obits will there be in a single year? Thousands if not tens of thousands? I don't envy anyone the task of choosing 50 from a potential pool of hundreds of thousands. I take your point about the Russians not having the longest life expectancy, my error, I apologise. I can't hear anyone questioning Clive Dunn's inclusion when we all know 100% he's immortal, he's our talisman and he's taking up a good bed on the ward that is the Deathlist. I have to admit I was surprised by Roddy Piper's inclusion but on reflection at the time it did seem like a good choice. I think Senor Piper was just toying with us, then he delivered a deadly finishing move of "I'm much better thanks", leaving his spot on the list in some vicious Boston Crab like move.

Here we go, more and more people jumping on that old band wagon. I'd hazard a guess that having scoured every available source the committee were left with the assumption that there were much more fitting candidates this year

Success has many fathers, failure is a bastard

I think the accusations that Yeltsin is a huge miss is a bit unfair. After all, this is from Bridget Kendall at BBC News:

Bridget, as someone who was in Moscow for much of the time during the Yeltsin era, this news has taken everybody pretty much by surprise.

BK: Well he was known not to have been in good health. Throughout the 1990s there were constant rumours of heart attacks, of medication, of how long he would last.

But when he went into retirement at the end of 1999, perhaps getting rid of all the cares of government, he seemed to feel a bit better and he led a very quiet retirement. But the reports were that he was doing better than he had before. Even so, no-one was expecting his death now.

Whilst it IS fair to say Yeltsin wasn't going to make 90, it wasn't that certain when he would go. As it was, had he not picked up a viral infection on holiday, he may still be on the planet & perfectly fine.

Here we go, more and more people jumping on that old band wagon. I'd hazard a guess that having scoured every available source the committee were left with the assumption that there were much more fitting candidates this year

Success has many fathers, failure is a bastard

I like that quote!

:blink:

These ones like Yeltsin are the toughest to call IMO. We know they are unwell, but their not really old. If he was over 80, then perhaps he would be on the list, but he was still in his seventies and once you get to that age, even when ill, you can hang on a bit with the right care. Same with Ronnie Biggs...

These ones like Yeltsin are the toughest to call IMO. We know they are unwell, but their not really old. If he was over 80, then perhaps he would be on the list, but he was still in his seventies and once you get to that age, even when ill, you can hang on a bit with the right care. Same with Ronnie Biggs...

Perhaps therein lies the problem with this list. It is far too reliant on old age being the reason of death.

I guessed Yeltsin, but it I regarded him as an outside chance - much like John Inman.

Perhaps therein lies the problem with this list. It is far too reliant on old age being the reason of death.

I guessed Yeltsin, but it I regarded him as an outside chance - much like John Inman.

You have to pitch at the aged though, too many Holly Johnson like shots would ensure annual disasters. There are long shots out there to be had though; Putin, Chechen Sniper, Bush, Sniper from just about anywhere on the planet, Beckham, crazed stalker, but are they worth speculating over when there's so many oldies just sat there waiting for the Grim Reaper to ask them if they want to play.

In our Death League, Boris was a seven time veteran but died a free agent. After he retired and we didn't hear much about him, we all lost interest. I had him ranked at #50 in this year's draft, a good prospect but not good enough to get on my team.