lospalmas7

Pope Benedict XVI

no i am far from being a fruit loop!considering i have had friends of friends and people i knew even though it would only be to say hello, to die at the hands( bombs) of islamic fanatics, so i am well aware how much some of these people hate christians and the west, obviously you have never been in this predicament, so you do not, nor wish to know.But if you are americans then i suggest you take a look at 911 and how many americans died because of these extremists!And for what?who did these people hurt?who did they insult?Absolutely no one!so as far as i am concerned the ones that pick soft targets (un armed civilians,) are cowards of the worst kind!

:)

What the hell are you talking about?!

I'm sorry for everyone that has lost someone in terrorist bombings , etc i know how it feels, and for anyone that has lost anyone in wars, unneccessary outright murder, and there is no other way to explain it, lets just hope and pray(for the ones with a religion) that it all stops and the peoples of the world finds a way to live in peace with one another, and it all stops!All of us have ot be tolerant of one another and accept each others beliefs and customs , unless ofcourse it is very wrong!Like going round murdering people!and all the greedy politicians stop their wars!Aworld of peace and harmony, what a lovely dream!but we can hope!

I'm sorry for everyone that has lost someone in terrorist bombings , etc i know how it feels, and for anyone that has lost anyone in wars, unneccessary outright murder, and there is no other way to explain it, lets just hope and pray(for the ones with a religion) that it all stops and the peoples of the world finds a way to live in peace with one another, and it all stops!All of us have ot be tolerant of one another and accept each others beliefs and customs , unless ofcourse it is very wrong!Like going round murdering people!and all the greedy politicians stop their wars!Aworld of peace and harmony, what a lovely dream!but we can hope!

...and the children! Think about all the children in Africa that suffer from starvation and AIDS! And don't forget the animals! It's not easy to be a chimpanzee or a sheep, these days, you know! It's so wrong to hurt an animal! Sexually abusing cattle might seem to be a great deal of fun, but it's wrong! Thank God they invented the Rear Gear to prevent your pet from harm...

Now, shall we get back on topic? Has the attack on the pope weakened his health, perhaps? It would make me a great first DDP-scalp...

lets just hope and pray(for the ones with a religion) that it all stops and the peoples of the world finds a way to live in peace with one another, and it all stops!

The sooner we all grow up and stop squabbling over who's imaginary friend is better than the other then we can all play nicely together.

Unless, of course, people are naturally xenophobic and warlike, and we find something else to fight over, like political ideals, or oil, or land or something. Not that that'd ever happen.

If there were no gods, people would invent them. That's the nature of human beings.

If there were no gods, people would invent them. That's the nature of human beings.

NAP, your comment seems to indicate that there are some gods. Well I'm sorry to break this to you, but you are wrong, there aren't any. Sorry.

NAP, your comment seems to indicate that there are some gods. Well I'm sorry to break this to you, but you are wrong, there aren't any. Sorry.

There are gods. I can tell you their names if you like. They have been invented by people, just like people invented cars and folk music.

You wouldn't say those things don't exist just because they were invented by people.

Nevertheless, thank you for the apology. It is much appreciated.

There are concepts. That's all.

Since I'm not afraid to die, I see no need to tell myself that I will live forever in some shangri-la land in the sky. I'm good with no gods. :)

Guest Toten

All of these pressures must be putting a lot of strain on the old sinner - and his elderly senior cardinals. He really might have "dug his own grave" with his dubious past starting to catch up with him.

Of course, if it were still the days in which the Medicis or Borgia ran the Church, they would simply cut their losses, slip him some poison and move on to a new Pope. Next please!

Can't see him resigning though despite those reports but his spin doctors will have their work cut out for them.

Guest Davey Jones' Locker

All of these pressures must be putting a lot of strain on the old sinner - and his elderly senior cardinals. He really might have "dug his own grave" with his dubious past starting to catch up with him.

Of course, if it were still the days in which the Medicis or Borgia ran the Church, they would simply cut their losses, slip him some poison and move on to a new Pope. Next please!

Can't see him resigning though despite those reports but his spin doctors will have their work cut out for them.

Don't know how much stress Pope Satan is actually under. They also say he is fairly sheltered in his ivory tower, so he might be somewhat protected from the full extent of the allegations. His chief advisors, Cardinal Schonborn, Cardinal Scola and "Gay Georg" Ganswein are probably doing a lot of the work for him. As head of the inquisition before he became pope, he definitely would know what is going on, though. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, because he and John Paul elected all of the current cardinals and greatly stacked the deck towards conservatives. The only really liberal reformer at present is Cardinal Daneels and he is very much on the outer. Don't expect too much change or reform even when the next Pope comes in. It might be a few generations unless the current backlash really wakes them up.

Guest Davey Jones' Locker

Don't know how much stress Pope Satan is actually under. They also say he is fairly sheltered in his ivory tower, so he might be somewhat protected from the full extent of the allegations. His chief advisors, Cardinal Schonborn, Cardinal Scola and "Gay Georg" Ganswein are probably doing a lot of the work for him. As head of the inquisition before he became pope, he definitely would know what is going on, though. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, because he and John Paul elected all of the current cardinals and greatly stacked the deck towards conservatives. The only really liberal reformer at present is Cardinal Daneels and he is very much on the outer. Don't expect too much change or reform even when the next Pope comes in. It might be a few generations unless the current backlash really wakes them up.

Latest report:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1216752...sex-abuse-cases

"Pope Benedict was heckled in St Peter's Square..." :bat: - maybe it is reaching the point of no return and he will resign. :)

He has definitely dug his own grave. :grave:

"Pope Benedict was heckled in St Peter's Square..."

Isn't that exactly the sort of euphemism that landed them in this mess in the first place?

Do you suppose he might abdicate over this alleged connection? Or will he end up like Pope John Paul I? :D

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
Do you suppose he might abdicate over this alleged connection? Or will he end up like Pope John Paul I? :D

Well, I am not really a pope-watcher and I am definitely not a Roman Catholic, as I hail from honest Protestant stock but...

I am starting to think more and more that he will be gone within a month. The scandals are unabating and there is (ancient) precedent for a Pope to resign. His political cardinals will try to put as much positive spin on it as they can but, really, this is a new age through the likes of the internet so the secretive culture of the Vatican will not be able to stand up to scrutiny.

Of course, if this Pope goes, another cardinal, probably just as corrupt, will come in. There do seem to be a few honest reformers but they do not have the numbers. Both Ratzinger and JP2 in the latters final years, appointed all highly conservative cardinals, some of whom have very dubious records, linked to Pinochet in Chile, the Dirty War in Argentina and so on. There doesn't seem to be much hope.

I was reading a book about the great reforming Pope, John XXIII a while back. Apparently, when he was appointed, his elderly housekeeper exclaimed, "My goodness! The cardinals have made a terrible mistake! Do they realise what they have done?! They have actually appointed a Christian as Pope!"

Anyway, as stated above, my prediction is he will be abdicating within a month as the scandals continue unabated. As Ratzinger was head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (formerly known as the Inquisition) he would have to have known what was going on and he did nothing about it. Guillty.

Failing that, we know he has a weak heart and even gave his midnight mass early last year so the pressure might be too much for his ticker. If he drops suddenly because of that, people will start thinking poison! :P

Guest Davy Jones' Locker

Well, I was thinking about my bold prediction on the way to work just now and I realised there were a few factors I failed to take into account... :D

Firstly, Easter is coming up. Secondly, his trip to your Pommie shores is also very soon. I can imagine that the Vatican would be trying to avoid losing their Pontiff during these two major events at all costs. In fact, the spin doctors will be doing everything in their power to turn such major events to their advantage.

It makes it a lot harder to predict what will happen. Will the crisis go on after Easter? The Irish letter did little to abate the anger and things still seem to be snowballing but can that momentum be maintained for a month?

As I noted before, the Vatican is going to find it hard with the culture of openness that the Internet has helped to generate. They have been slow to embrace it and the Pope's PR machine and political advisors have all proven to be utterly inept. When Ratzinger was elected Pope, I remember in the media one Vatican official boasting that he was the most intelligent cardinal by far of the current lot. That says to me that his successor will be even more incompetent. :P They desperately need to change culture and embrace openess and I can't really see that happening. Instead, they will probably just become even more blinkered and introspective than they currently are.

If he does die from the pressure, the Vatican will no doubt portray him as a martyr, hounded by the media. If he resigns, it will take years for the Roman Catholic Church to recover. Either way, he is a lame duck at present, as far as moral authority is concerned.

Nevertheless, the Pope and his cardinals have ignored outside sentiment up until now. Leaving aside the child abuser cover-ups, all of the other scandals point to a very arrogant and inward looking Roman Catholicism, stubbornly ignoring the world and devoid of a moral compass.

I wonder who was the last Pope to resign?

Guest Davy Jones' Locker

Here comes the Vatican spin doctors' response statement:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1222752...inaction-claims

"A Vatican watcher mocked the statement, saying: "From the canonical point of view (Ratzinger) followed the procedures."

Speaking on condition of anonymity, he told AFP: "This Nuremberg-style defence is completely inappropriate and cannot mollify public opinion.""

More:

http://timescolumns.typepad.com/gledhill/2...cal-secret.html

"Subject to Papal Secrecy" - more corruption and cover-ups. :D

Guest Davy Jones' Locker
I wonder who was the last Pope to resign?

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_resignation

Last to go was Gregoy XII in that vintage year, 1417:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_XII

Dante famously wrote about Celestine, the most famous quitter, slamming him for his retirement in "Inferno:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Celestine_V

Nice Matt Smith avatar, by the way. :P I am more of an old, old, old school William Hartnell fan myself. Original and the best! :) We'll see how Matty goes, though.

All happening here this morning. Just found latest new article calling for Ratzinger to fall on his sword:

http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/...-abuse-scandal/

Good thing about this thread is that there are so many smilies we can use. Here is a rather appropriate one about the Ratzinger's fall into disgrace: :D