Nicked from Popbitch...

Three American boys see a woman's

obituary photo, buy condoms and go and dig her up

Lovely

You know, it's actually annoying that they didn't print the picture that drove them to that act. I for one would like to know exactly what they thought were digging for...

It is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of my homepage website...

headstoneln6.png

I didn't even realise it had died! So sad... the Internet is the lesser for its demise.

:P

sad to seeiit goo.

Nicked from Popbitch...

Lovely

You know, it's actually annoying that they didn't print the picture that drove them to that act. I for one would like to know exactly what they thought were digging for...

Yoiur Braain?Lperhaps ? Maye they twerere looking for gokle orr silvere.

Nicked from Popbitch...

Lovely

Here's the picture of the literally frigid young lady, Laura J Tennessen,

just underneath her picture is a link to the news story with pictures of the young deviants concerned.

Here's the picture of the literally frigid young lady, Laura J Tennessen,

just underneath her picture is a link to the news story with pictures of the young deviants concerned.

Obit-Ruth-Cole.jpg

Well, I certainly wouldn't. Or is my computer playing up?

Absolute class this one; final statements from those about to depart Death Row.

I remember reading those about a year ago when someone posted a link on a BBC forum.

Makes for rather depressing reading, not least because of all the religious references.

To make it a truly personal experience, make sure you read the link "Offender Information" next to where it says "Last Statement."

Call me old fashioned but the ones that trouble me are those professing innocence over and over. By this point they've got nothing to lose so maybe - like - they are innocent.

Call me old fashioned but the ones that trouble me are those professing innocence over and over. By this point they've got nothing to lose so maybe - like - they are innocent.

There are no guilty people on death row in Texas. Didn't you know that?

Sad reading.

I'm against the death penalty [for a whole number of reasons, ranging from the fact that it's an extraordinary expensive process (except for by kangaroo court (BTW, you know in China the executed person's family get invoiced the $5 or however much for the bullet...)) to the fact that it's just such a damn cop-out by society] but anyhow, regardless... for societies where they insist on executing people, they should consider having a second "jury" at the death chamber who listen to the person's last words and (perhaps aided by some kind of polygraph) decide whether to spare the person. Not on the basis of innocence, necessarily [in fact, I expect that few of the people who protested their innocence would have much luck with the jurors], but just a kind of "aw, okay, the guy's sorry. really sorry -- let's just keep him banged up." It would make pretty good TV, as well.

I came across a similar site [perhaps it was the same one, I didn't explore] where you had listed the last meal requests of the condemned. (Chicken wings were very popular, I remember.) Sort of sad that even to the end [and okay, the health implications of a greasy burger hardly matter at this point] these people still ate the same disgusting crap." C'mon, you've never tried avocado wrapped in Parma ham? Give it a go."

But really, there's something screwy about the whole thing of keeping as a matter of record that the guy ordered a litre of raspberry ripple ice cream and making that available for the public to know. So sort of that , no, society isn't failing in how it deals with its problems.

"Remember, citizens, we gave the man his ice-cream and it's all nicely logged".

Hmm, I think I'm headed for a bit of stream of consciousness rambling, so will pull up in a moment. But some of those quotes where the text just goes "[spanish]" and isn't translated. That would piss you off, wouldn't it? (Except that you'd be dead). You've got the opportunity to say a couple of hundred words for posterity and they wipe a bit out. Heck, the Spanish bit is probably the important stuff. Particularly if you're *not actually Spanish* and you've decided to quote some weighty maxim from the language. "Si, se puede!" you say as the culmination to some great mini-oration. And the man with the clipboard justs puts "[spanish]" in the words' place. Bummer...

And now, like students who've mistimed their exam essays, I'll put one or two note pointers, because I can't be bothered to ramble much further. (Or because I don't really know how I'd flesh them out anyway and they're utterly stupid).

-- Death row speeches and advertising. Surely some marketeers have considered this. "We'll give your kids a million bucks if your last words are "Gee, I wish I'd stayed at home that night and ordered a Domino's!" etc.

-- Last meals and advertising. Same as above really. "The condemned ordered medium rare steak, chips, peas and I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Really-Fattening-Relish."

-- How long is allowed? I'd certainly be pushing for a lengthy Q and A session at the end of my speech. Or try something along the lines of "To quote Pushkin... heck, I've forgotten the quote... can I just go back to my cell for a bit and look for the relevant passage".

-- Why do they always say "stay strong"? There's clearly at least an undergrad dissertation up for grabs on death-row linguistics... how certain phrases become obligatory -- like on internet forum profiles where everybody has to "be described by friends as easygoing" and "enjoy going out but equally enjoy flopping in front of a film at home with a bottle of red".

Enough, enough...

I'm not going to get into a philosophical battle on the rightness or wrongness of the death penalty - mainly because I am a Texan - but I will try to comment on your pointers here.

And now, like students who've mistimed their exam essays, I'll put one or two note pointers, because I can't be bothered to ramble much further. (Or because I don't really know how I'd flesh them out anyway and they're utterly stupid).

-- Death row speeches and advertising. Surely some marketeers have considered this. "We'll give your kids a million bucks if your last words are "Gee, I wish I'd stayed at home that night and ordered a Domino's!" etc.

News outlets don't publish or broadcast the offenders last words, as a rule. They just report the execution.

-- Last meals and advertising. Same as above really. "The condemned ordered medium rare steak, chips, peas and I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Really-Fattening-Relish."

See above. I, for one, am not sure I'd buy something endorsed by someone who was just executed for bashing his girlfriend to death with a statue, cutting her up and throwing her body parts in the Trinity River.

-- How long is allowed? I'd certainly be pushing for a lengthy Q and A session at the end of my speech. Or try something along the lines of "To quote Pushkin... heck, I've forgotten the quote... can I just go back to my cell for a bit and look for the relevant passage".

I don't think there is a statute that covers the length of last statements, but I believe the warden has the right to shut the offender up. I also don't think a last statement is a legal right - I could be wrong about that, though.

-- Why do they always say "stay strong"? There's clearly at least an undergrad dissertation up for grabs on death-row linguistics... how certain phrases become obligatory -- like on internet forum profiles where everybody has to "be described by friends as easygoing" and "enjoy going out but equally enjoy flopping in front of a film at home with a bottle of red".

I think "stay strong" is a common phrase in Texas - both of my sons use it.

According to the state, it costs a little under $62.00 a day to house death row inmates. As of today, there are 391 offenders on Texas' death row. That comes out to $24K and change a day, so call it $9M a year.

Here's a nice ABC Primer for any younglings you might have who are interested in a bedtime story.

Church of Fudge , a video so sick even hardened West Cumbrians struggle with it, no kidding. If anyone can stomach the lot and speaks German, what - roughly - are they saying to each other?