Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Geoff Duke

Cha nel Bruno. Nagh vel oo toiggel Gaelg AJB?

There was a little bit about him the local paper today. He's 83 and undergoing treatment for cateracts but is expected to recover an be over for TT next year. My nan always said cateracts where a sure sign the person with them would be dead in two years. Perhaps we should pencil him in for 2008?

I had no idea he was originally from St. Helens (near enough my home town)

I've known pets live two years after cataracts. Might I respectfully suggest - our Manx minx - that yer nan's knowledge was a little dated? I'll bet she said 'bless you' when someone sneezed as well.

This years TT death toll seems to be one: Japanese rider Jun Maeda died on June 6th due to injuries suffered in a practice crash.

DWB <_<

Guest Paul Tipler

Hi Kirsty,

Good to hear that Geoff Duke is well and just maybe the Duke family would be interested to hear that next year will be the 50th anniversary of the Late Bob McIntyres 100 mph lap of the TT circuit (on the Gilera 4 of course). Our Club will be organising a celebration at the Festival of a 1,000 bikes at Mallory Park Circuit and it would be great if a Duke or two turned up.

Paul

www.igottagilera.co.uk

Guest P Thomas

He's 82 and living in retirement in the Isle of Man where he made his name as a motorcycle racer from 1949 onwards.

If we put him on 2007 the DL could you - like - mebbe organise an oil spill on the start/finish line after he's done his lap?

Just askin' like.

Guest Guest
If we put him on 2007 the DL could you - like - mebbe organise an oil spill on the start/finish line after he's done his lap?

Just askin' like.

eh?

This comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Just askin' like.

eh?

This comment makes no sense whatsoever.

Guest is right. It used to be wet manhole covers that did for them. Geoff must have been good at dodging 'em. Not many TT racers die of old age on the Isle of Man. But, as MPFC says, there's still time. A veterans race perhaps?

Go back to the

Hi Kirsty post on page two of this thread and you'll see my post makes perfect sense.

Guest Guest

Sickheads. He's an old man who loves his family leave him alone

Never touched him, your honour.

Of course, being an old man who loves his family is no guarantee that he'll be left alone. After all, Gary Glitter is an old man who not only loves his own family but quite a few other families as well, particularly if they happen to be from the Far East and in need of some hush money............

the Ulster GP is this weekend and you get one or 2 riders checking out at it. The more well known names at this years even (this Saturday BTW) include:

Ryan Farquhar

Bruce Anstey

Adrian Archibald

John McGuinness

Cameron Donald

Ian Lougher

Jason Griffiths

Guy Martin

Ian Hutchinson

Carl Rennie

Raymond Porter

Ian Armstrong

Martin Finnegan

Robert Dunlop

Ryan Farquher has to be a contender, hes slightly mad and still recovering from injury. Ian Lougher is another one. cant do 190+mph on Ulster B roads & expect to last too long!! Robert Dunlop is a possibility - can harly walk any more never mind ride a bike (even if he is still a great talent & quick as you like with his special mods).

Never touched him, your honour.

Of course, being an old man who loves his family is no guarantee that he'll be left alone. After all, Gary Glitter is an old man who not only loves his own family but quite a few other families as well, particularly if they happen to be from the Far East and in need of some hush money............

Don't forget Charlie Manson. He had a very close family! :D

the Ulster GP is this weekend and you get one or 2 riders checking out at it. The more well known names at this years even (this Saturday BTW) include:

Ryan Farquhar

Bruce Anstey

Adrian Archibald

John McGuinness

Cameron Donald

Ian Lougher

Jason Griffiths

Guy Martin

Ian Hutchinson

Carl Rennie

Raymond Porter

Ian Armstrong

Martin Finnegan

Robert Dunlop

Ryan Farquher has to be a contender, hes slightly mad and still recovering from injury. Ian Lougher is another one. cant do 190+mph on Ulster B roads & expect to last too long!! Robert Dunlop is a possibility - can harly walk any more never mind ride a bike (even if he is still a great talent & quick as you like with his special mods).

I was wondering about Ryan myself. As yoy say he's mad and has had a few injuries. I'm not sure how well known he is outside his field. I only know him as I work with his brother.

true, true. I would love to see Rossi et al having a crack at the roads as part of the world title like back in the day. They wouldnt last a crack, seriously, stick any of the MotoGP on the TT, Ulster GP or North West 200 courses and check the mortailiy rate.

Take yer point Jono but that mortality rate was the whole reason they pulled out. It's a frustration for those of us tipping budding stiffs because famous - ie worthy of sponsors money and media coverage - motor sports racers wouldn't be allowed near those death traps any more given the tonnage of cash their backers stood to lose. The only way they'll race wheel to wheel with the local nutters/heroes is on a Play Station.

oh yeah, exactly. Remember a story about Barry Sheen going to the TT, done a couple of laps & parked the bike refusing to race any more because it was too dangerous. Real shame sponsorship et al gets in the way now, dunno about the rest, but I want my race heros to be staring death in the face & flipping him the bord every time they put the skid lid on.

Imagine Rossi comming through Quarry Bends flat out with the hump up :D

Am I right in thinking the late and sadly missed Barry was the last GP rider to even pretend to take the TT course seriously? If he said it was dangerous it certainly is, yer man Sheene wasn't known to shirk danger or the odd spill.

I know Wayne Gardner (87 500cc champ) did a bit of road racing over here in the early 80s. He was with Honda Britain alongside Joey Dunlop and Ron Haslam. I remember he went through a hedge at Dundrod!

Cheers OSP, obviously he didn't suffer greatly. Was he taking the corner slowly out of respect or were there a few of 'the boys' out on manoeuvers behind it who managed to catch him?

I'll get me coat.

I'll get me coat.

Not.

:skull::):D Shot down! I can feel the heat from here... :D

Cheers OSP, obviously he didn't suffer greatly. Was he taking the corner slowly out of respect or were there a few of 'the boys' out on manoeuvers behind it who managed to catch him?

I'll get me coat.

:D He was chasing Mr Dunlop and found a 100 MPH corner a bit sharper than he thought it was!

As of last night the Dundrod circut has become the fastest bike circut in the world with Guy Martin's lap of 130.5MPH! :)

OSP, is the Dunrod motorbike circuit the same route they use to race bicycles?