Sign in to follow this  
Death Watch Beatle

Geoff Duke

Since this is the actual Deathlist Forum, I'll preface the following comments by saying that my forthcoming inquiries are not meant in a suggestive fashion, but rather as a byproduct of curiosity. Hopefully this warning shall be sufficient.

Having said that, after finding out about old cricketer Horace Wass, I wondered if there was any other sport that might have an old timer still alive and undiscovered. Admittedly, it's been a slow couple of days. Anyhow, maybe someone with a little more background in the subject can tell me if centenarian candidate H G Tyrell Smith is still with us? A one time Isle of Man TT champion and frequent competitor, it would surprise me to here that he died without making any notice. I'm not interested in putting him on any list or anything, just plain old curiosity here.

I wondered if there was any other sport that might have an old timer still alive and undiscovered. Admittedly, it's been a slow couple of days. Anyhow, maybe someone with a little more background in the subject can tell me if centenarian candidate H G Tyrell Smith is still with us? A one time Isle of Man TT champion and frequent competitor, it would surprise me to here that he died without making any notice.

It wouldn't surprise me. A number of Grand Prix drivers died aeons ago, but we're only just finding out - ie Roberto Bonomi (found out 2005, died 1992 ish), Ernst Klodwig (found out 1993, died 1973!!). There are still numerous high profile racers that are dead but no-one knows when. I suspect HGTS died years ago, don't know for certain, motorcycling isn't my thing unless it crosses over to 4 wheels.

I wonder if Rudolf Rominger the ski-ier is still alive? He would be 100 next year...

It wouldn't surprise me. A number of Grand Prix drivers died aeons ago, but we're only just finding out - ie Roberto Bonomi (found out 2005, died 1992 ish), Ernst Klodwig (found out 1993, died 1973!!). There are still numerous high profile racers that are dead but no-one knows when. I suspect HGTS died years ago, don't know for certain, motorcycling isn't my thing unless it crosses over to 4 wheels.

Call me surprised then. Point taken, he's probably dead then.

I wonder if Rudolf Rominger the ski-ier is still alive? He would be 100 next year...

If you trust the Polish wikipedia (which, as my Polish friends and relatives have proven, is far more accurate than you might think) then he died on November 8, 1979.

If you trust the Polish wikipedia (which, as my Polish friends and relatives have proven, is far more accurate than you might think) then he died on November 8, 1979.

How interesting... Maybe I will check via Polish wiki before I go for any obscure ex-sportsmen. Strange they would have it & not German Wiki, but seems a reliable date - they even have a birthplace for one....

Beryl Swain, the first woman solo motorcyclist to finish in a TT race, has died at the age of 71. Times obit

"After the end of her racing career she went to work for Sainbury’s, and was for many years a departmental manager at branches around the London area"

Also, Jack Findlay who was mentioned earlier in this thread, has been remembered with an entertaining Daily Telegraph obit. He managed to fracture his skull on two seperate occasions during his racing career.

We can all share in the thrills with a virtual lap of the famous death trap.

Following up on the earlier post, the dead guy was a 34 year old first timer. Not a species greatly associated with the other - more regulated - forms of motor sport.

How interesting... Maybe I will check via Polish wiki before I go for any obscure ex-sportsmen. Strange they would have it & not German Wiki, but seems a reliable date - they even have a birthplace for one....

Maybe we should start a new thread for this, but I've got one that's even older: Thoralf Strømstad. No Polish wikipedia on this one. Granted, he'd be among the world's oldest men if he were still alive, but it's not quite past the realm of impossibility... thought I'd imagine someone who's even slightly famous would apply for the title of one of the world's oldest if he had the chance.

TT racer and Manx Grand Prix winner Martin Finnegan, has been killed in a crash at the age of 27. :angry:

TT racer and Manx Grand Prix winner Martin Finnegan, has been killed in a crash at the age of 27. :angry:

Another competitor from my clubmans days gone, thank f**k I quit when I did! :angry:

Another competitor from my clubmans days gone, thank f**k I quit when I did! :angry:

Indeed OSP, stay here and stay alive.

I passed a two wheeled accident today, bloke came off his pushbike. Not famous and only broke his leg. 'Bloody amateur' I shouted as I trickled past the scene.

Well done to Moto GP rider Jorge Lorenzo, who finished in fourth place in the Chinese Grand Prix on Sunday, riding with two broken ankles sustained in a crash the previous weekend. Respect.

He's now safely back in his wheelchair.

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has been killed in a crash in Northern Ireland. :skull: He was the younger brother of the legendary Joey Dunlop, who was killed in a crash eight years ago.

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has been killed in a crash in Northern Ireland. :flame: He was the younger brother of the legendary Joey Dunlop, who was killed in a crash eight years ago.

Yet another funeral to attend :skull:

For goodness sake, take public transport or walk OSP.

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has been killed in a crash in Northern Ireland. :flame: He was the younger brother of the legendary Joey Dunlop, who was killed in a crash eight years ago.

Yet another funeral to attend :skull:

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has been killed in a crash in Northern Ireland. :referee: He was the younger brother of the legendary Joey Dunlop, who was killed in a crash eight years ago.

His son has won a race at the meeting where Robert Dunlop died during qualification. Let's hope these things don't come in threes.

Geoff was being interviewed by Charley Boorman in his new series, By Any Means. He looks hale and hearty (Duke, not Boorman, who's a bit bonkers), good to see.

First (I believe) casualty of this year's TT is local man John Crellin in the Seniors race. He managed to survive six of the world's seven highest mountains, but not the Mountain Box.

Paul Dobbs, first fatality of the 2010 TT races.

This article reporting the death of grasstrack and general off-road expert Vincent Kinchin, survived a few shunts including one that claimed most of one of his fingers. Died in Germany when another rider dropped his bike right in Vincent's path.

This article reporting the detah of grasstrack and general off-road expert Vincent Kinchin, survived a few shunts including one that claimed most of one of his fingers. Died in Germany when another rider dropped his bike right in Vincent's path.

Now he can ride around on one of these

33170Untitled-10.jpg

Paul Dobbs, first fatality of the 2010 TT races.

A second rider Martin Loicht, killed in the same race yesterday.