millwall32

Alex Higgins (And Snooker)

I was looking at some older snooker players for the main list.

My pick would be Rex Williams (b.1933)

I didn't realise he had some Father Ted style "financial irregularities" later in life.

Rex Williams - Wikipedia

47 minutes ago, millwall32 said:

60% "He was a genius" and 40% "I've met him and I hated him."

Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I've always considered him one of the most gifted natural players but never bought into the 'peoples champion' bullshit, I always thought he was a selfish arsehole - at least as much as one can tell from what's available publicly.

1 hour ago, En Passant said:

Of course the two aren't mutually exclusive.

I've always considered him one of the most gifted natural players but never bought into the 'peoples champion' bullshit, I always thought he was a selfish arsehole - at least as much as one can tell from what's available publicly.

That'd be the booze & drugs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, time said:

That'd be the booze & drugs. 

Entirely possible, though again, I've known a bunch of people did too much of both and were perfectly pleasant throughout.

Still I guess it doesn't help if you have a mean streak underneath that shines* through.

*Yeah, I know, I chose the word anyway.

4 hours ago, millwall32 said:

I was scrolling through Twitter earlier and there was a lot of stuff about how Alex Higgins would've been 75 today.

Interestingly, the comments were about 60% "He was a genius" and 40% "I've met him and I hated him."

I'd imagine the 60% never met him.

My Dad went to see him play an exhibition game against Tony Knowles at a club in the 80s at the height of his fame. He turned up two hours late and on arrival and obviously pissed he then went to the toilet to powder his nose for half an hour before the organisers managed to get him out to play. He barely potted a ball and then fucked off without signing any autographs or even attempting to engage with the punters.

On 05/05/2019 at 00:33, Deathray said:

So tomorrow and Monday the snooker World Championship will be between a man who did nothing wrong and certainly never tried to throw matches (4:41)

or a man who thinks he's god gift to mankind, but is just a tool.

Yep, I agree, From 4:41 on it certainly looks like he's trying to throw that frame.

1 hour ago, Arsewipe said:

I'd imagine the 60% never met him.

My Dad went to see him play an exhibition game against Tony Knowles at a club in the 80s at the height of his fame. He turned up two hours late and on arrival and obviously pissed he then went to the toilet to powder his nose for half an hour before the organisers managed to get him out to play. He barely potted a ball and then fucked off without signing any autographs or even attempting to engage with the punters.

Yep, that's the gist of a lot of the stories against.

Not a nice man.

Jeanette Lee shares some photos on social media and reports she is in ICU after a heart attack. She describes herself as “weak”, but seemingly on the mend.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

She was doing well recently. Still think she has some more years to live.

1 hour ago, drol said:

She was doing well recently. Still think she has some more years to live.

While a heart attack is serious for anyone, perhaps more so for a cancer patient, I tend to agree with you.

Not health related but worth noting that 2010 World Champion Neil Robertson has failed to qualify for The Crucible for the first time in 20 years.

7 hours ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Not health related but worth noting that 2010 World Champion Neil Robertson has failed to qualify for The Crucible for the first time in 20 years.

It got mentioned on Sportsday this evening, didn't get a full segment but did get a mention.