Sign in to follow this  
maryportfuncity

Sir Ian Blair

I'm not suggesting he's about to die but is there life left in his career?

He got the dreaded vote of confidence from Charles Clark today. Given that his men shot dead an unarmed Brazilian whose only crime was outstaying a visa and the impressive media savvy of the bereaved Brazilian camp there's going to have to be some serious face saving sacrifice made.

Can the man survive in his job? I say he has weeks at most.

Well just look at the evidence: Eyewitnesses recall a man in a heavy coat jumping over the barrier.

Others say they saw "wires" coming out of his jacket.

Sounds like they are describing the armed police..

"For 24 hours I believed we'd killed a suicide bomber." The Met Police Commissioner stands firm on the De Menezes shooting.

He didn't know his officers had shot the wrong man until nearly 24 hours later. In an interview with tomorrow's News of the World the Metropolitan Police commissioner Sir Ian Blair describes his horror as he discovered the Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes had been killed by mistake.

Does that sound like a man whose in charge of his officers!

It sounds like a scenario from a 'Carry On' movie, but ultimately this victim couldn't get up or walk away, after the event ;)

I don't think this is the end of Sir Ian Blair. He has already got the support of Clarke and Prescott and I would imagine the PM as well.

It was just a bit of bad luck really. OK perhaps being shot 8 times close range is a bit far but you can't be too careful.

The moral of the story is that you should never trust a man called Blair.

Or alternatively, don't start legging it when told to "stop" by armed police. ;)

Let's not be too hard on the police, they have an awful job in London at the moment. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

Or alternatively, don't start legging it when told to "stop" by armed police. ;)

Let's not be too hard on the police, they have an awful job in London at the moment. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

I agree with that one Cerberus. If you are innocent, why run?

It is beginning to look more like incompetence at the highest level and a police cover-up. ;) Lets see what we have been told by Sir Ian Blair and the police regarding the shooting of Mr. Jean Charles de Menezes:

1. Mr. de Menezes was wearing a heavy bulky jacket.

Truth: He was wearing a light denim jacket.

2. Mr. de Menezes jumped over the padded ticket barrier in the subway station.

Truth:This was proven false by security cameras and witnesses denied it. CCTV pictures show Mr de Menezes using a travelcard to pass through the barrier.

3. Mr. de Menezes ran from the police when ordered to stop, jumped over a padded ticket barrier and then ran into a subway car where he tripped, as the police were in hot pursuit. At that moment, he was shot.

Truth: He walked calmly into the station, picked up a newspaper and only started running when a train approached the station. He was not approached by police until he had actually sat down in his seat.

CCTV footage is said to show Mr de Menezes pausing, looking left and right, and sitting on a seat facing the platform. A police witness says Mr de Menezes stood up when the police arrived. The policeman then pinned his arms to his sides and pushed him back in the seat. Mr de Menezes was then shot 10 times - three of the bullets missed.

In addition, Sir Ian Blair has tried to stall the killing probe. This sounds like a man who has lost control of his police force and who deliberately tried to mislead the British public. For that reason he should lose his job.

Questions for Sir Blair

Sir Ian tried to stall killing probe

Guest UderLord

I liked the cartoon in Private Eye...

One armed copper another "Why did you shoot him 8 times ?"

Answer "Because I ran out of bullets"

(Sorry couldn't find a link to th cartoon)

Or alternatively, don't start legging it when told to "stop" by armed police.  ;)

I see it's blame the victim time again.

There's no evidence that police told him to stop, just that he was running to catch a train.

Anyway they weren't in uniform, so how the hell is he supposed to know they were police (execept for when they started punping bullets into him?)

No I don't blame the victim. As you say he probably didn't know what was going on (although, coming from Brazil, where the police apparently shoot dead about 600 people a year, he might have had an idea).

I blame the maniacs who set off the bombs on July 7th, without whom Londoners would be going about their business feeling relatively safe.

Firstly why should we not be hard on the police?

We pay their wages and clearly from the fact that they shot an innocent man they, or at least a section of high ranking police officers, do not know how to do their job.

Also there is no evidence to suggest that he "legged it". He did not "leg it" out of his block of flats (and incidentally how did the police not know which man from the block they should have been going after) , he did nopt leg it onto the bus (the bus for goodness sake. If they suspected that he was a suicide bomber why was he not picked up before he got onto a bus ), and he clearly was not legging it when he stopped to pick up a Metro and went through the ticket barrier.

And as for Blair (insert christian name of your choice) .Why are the Met giving out conflicting messages about the shoot-to-kill policy.

There is an obvious cover up. There were obviously a series of lies told in the first 72 hours after the shooting. The police obviously assumed that a Brazillian ( a Brazillian by the way. Not a country noted for its large number of Al-Quaeda cells) was a suicide bomber because he was the wrong shade of light brown.

I would suggest that particularly given the fact that London is under threat at the moment, we have every reason to be hard on the police. Would you be hard on those who kill the innocent because of their incompetence?

End of rant. Nothing personal.

Guest Charlie_Rools
:P What a complete an utter tw*t! Institutional racism my arse. This man has a serious problem with the fact that his own institution have been subject to this claim for so long now! Incidentally, did they ever discount the possibility that Institutional Racism did not exist within their ranks? Ian Blair, get a life you PC (not Police Constable!) idiot!!!!!

So what was that in aid of? :P

Guest john utting

the cops who were following the suspect had orders not to let him go down the tube or get in a train.they let him do both ,obviously they were sh*t scared to challenge him or approach him.then they called in an armed response team [whos normal response is not to go anywhere near an armed person for at least 2 days after he has left the scene]who immediately rushed in and shot the poor guy with no attempt to identify him being made at any stage.the useless politically correct and blundering ian blair should be thrown out of the police service pronto and replaced by a real cop.yours true,john utting

Guest Martin

Sir Ian Blair, is a liar a cheat and a murderer and so is this government led by a power crazed idiot, people who come to this country like Jean Charles who work legally like he did and then be shot 8 TIMES! By the Stupid Ass hole Police that we tax payers pay for, I'd say who did it in the police force and Sir Ian Blair should either be put in jail for life see how they like that, or like in Texas U.S.A be exicuted for murder. The Police and the sh*t head government have too much power we seem to be living in a Adolf Hittler country called the UK or as I now call sh*t UK, I think it would be better to move to another country so we can get away from the depressing way of life here, and the murdering of an innocent man. This Country SUCKS! BIG TIME!

interesting if a little incomprehensible - but what's this about them shooting the woman who impersonates the queen? have i missed something, or is his typing just worse than mine...

Yeah, it certainly seems to stink when you look at it on the surface. Notable that they picked a busy news-day; aftermath of 9/11 and Tony Blair's final speech to the TUC, to announce it. A month earlier with Blair on holiday it'd have got ten times the press coverage it warranted yesterday.

Jean Charles De Menezes was not killed by the Police, he

was killed by Special Forces...