Sign in to follow this  
Gross Urnings

Lou Rawls

All I know aout Lou Rawls is that he is likely to die soon and I wonder how anybody could sustain a serious career with a name like Loo Rolls! :lol:

• Like 1

May be the world is passing me by, I've never heard of Lou Rawls.

(Nor Donna Reeve)

I'd never heard of them either... well admittedly I could take a guess at who Donna Reeve was since her story had been plastered across Americna news at the time of Superman's death... from what I've gathered though, Lou Rawls is the time of guy who appeals those of an older generation...

Her name is not Donna Reeve. It is Dana Reeve.

Check and mate I guess! :lol:

Mr Josco (and others), these are the lyrics of his biggest hit. It might jog a few memories, it was all over the radio in the mid-70s.

You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine

"Lady Love" was another of his, not a hit but played a lot on the radio. Still gets the odd spin from Terry Wogan and others.

Mr Josco (and others), these are the lyrics of his biggest hit. It might jog a few memories, it was all over the radio in the mid-70s.

"Lady Love" was another of his, not a hit but played a lot on the radio. Still gets the odd spin from Terry Wogan and others.

Terry Who? :lol:;);)

Terry Who? :D:D:D

Mr Josco, are you a high court judge by any chance?

"You'll Never Find" reached #2 on the Billboard Charts in 1976...I'd have to guess this guy would undoubtedly pass the 'famous' test in just about any 'civilized' region (and possibly in Scotland as well).

I think he'd pass DDP's test for famousness anyhow. Although he's not as well known amongst the younger gents, a lot of people working at the BBC would be familiar with him and, compounded with his illness, he'll most likely be considered famous enough.

I like Lou Rawls. I heard one of his Christmas songs on the radio the other day and it was pretty good. I think he'd be a great addition to the list.

I like Lou Rawls. I heard one of his Christmas songs on the radio the other day and it was pretty good. I think he'd be a great addition to the list.

I second that. B)

What an interesting way of showing your 'like' for someone! I'm sure he'd be honored!!

What an interesting way of showing your 'like' for someone! I'm sure he'd be honored!!

It does show that his death means something to you... in a way!

Grim Reaper: How thoughtful to place him on top of the heap and give him - almost certainly - the last number 1 of his life.

I think he's a cheap point. I'd never heard of him so didn't list him. Listing Rawls isn't big or clever. I wonder how many of the UK deathlisters had heard of him before his name popped up? If this sounds like sour grapes, well it probably is.

I'd heard of him Godot and will confess to a liking for some that the ol' sweet Philly soul. Fact is I was playin' Lou and a few others on a soul compilation only a few weeks back. He'll be duetting with big ol' Barry White soon.....orgasmic!

I think he's a cheap point. I'd never heard of him so didn't list him. Listing Rawls isn't big or clever. I wonder how many of the UK deathlisters had heard of him before his name popped up? If this sounds like sour grapes, well it probably is.

Sorry to disappoint Mr. G.

UK DeathLister and quite a fan of the chap and have no problem sticking him on any list, cheap point or not.

I'd heard of him Godot and will confess to a liking for some that the ol' sweet Philly soul. Fact is I was playin' Lou and a few others on a soul compilation only a few weeks back. He'll be duetting with big ol' Barry White soon.....orgasmic!

A bit like the recently deceased Willie Hutch; perhaps not the most famous artist in the world, but an excellent one all the same. You'll be saying you've never heard of Bobby Bland next. ;)

I certainly can see why several DLers have not heard of Lou Rawls, as most of his fame was from the 1960's and 1970's. Despite that, he still has a large following throughout the world, especially among those that listen to R&B. Many of his classical hits are still being played on R & B stations today, of which the most popular is "You'll Never find Another Love Like Mine"

He definitely deserves the #1 spot on this year's deathlist.

OK, I was wrong. Maybe a bit of sour grapes

I certainly can see why several DLers have not heard of Lou Rawls, as most of his fame was from the 1960's and 1970's. Despite that, he still has a large following throughout the world, especially among those that listen to R&B. Many of his classical hits are still being played on R & B stations today, of which the most popular is "You'll Never find Another Love Like Mine"

He definitely deserves the #1 spot on this year's deathlist.

Couldn't agree more.

Just before Christmas I bought the CD Yule Struttin': A BlueNote Christmas and a Lou Rawls track is included on it, along with tracks by notables such as Chet Baker, Count Basie, Dexter Gordon, Dianne Reeves, etc. Way famous enough... wwaaaayyyy famous.

I highly recommend the CD by the way, it's excellent Christmas jazz.

NEWSFLASH!

Just saw an advert for A Tribute to Stevie Wonder, scheduled to take place on the Fox network on January 7th (7 - 11pm). Amongst others, Lou Rawls is scheduled to perform.

It strikes me that this will be a good opportunity to see how well he looks. As there's a chance I won't be able to watch it, may I suggest other DLers try to watch this tribute in order to assess LR's current state of play.

NEWSFLASH!

Just saw an advert for A Tribute to Stevie Wonder, scheduled to take place on the Fox network on January 7th (7 - 11pm). Amongst others, Lou Rawls is scheduled to perform.

It strikes me that this will be a good opportunity to see how well he looks. As there's a chance I won't be able to watch it, may I suggest other DLers try to watch this tribute in order to assess LR's current state of play.

Stevie Wonder is like... 50... and in great health... shouldn't Stevie Wonder be doing a tribute to Lou Rawls???

I thought that he had cancelled all scheduled performances for this year, as per this article.

I thought that he had cancelled all scheduled performances for this year, as per this article.

Who knows. Maybe he won't perform, he'll simply give one of those recorded spoken tributes.

According to the TV Times, this tribute is being given in order to raise money for the United Negro College Fund. Perhaps LR is willing to chance it for such a cause.

Guest Smee

DEAD, according to CNN. 1st strike of the year! :D

From msnbc.msn.com

Singer Lou Rawls dies of cancer at 72

Grammy winner began as choir boy, sold 40 million albums

LOS ANGELES - Lou Rawls, the velvet-voiced singer who started as a church choir boy and went on to sell more than 40 million albums and win three Grammy Awards in a career that spanned nearly five decades and a range of genres, has died, his publicist said. He was 72.

Rawls died early Friday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where he was hospitalized last month for treatment of lung and brain cancer, his publicist Paul Shefrin said. His wife Nina was at his bedside when he died, Shefrin said.

The family and Shefrin said Rawls was 72, although other records indicate he was 70.