Godot

Munchkins/midgets/dwarves/oompa-Loompas/pygmies/shortarses

At risk of appearing flippant I wanted to discuss this in all seriousness. Is a First World War veteran or Titanic Survivor more worthy of deathlist inclusion than a Munchkin?

I would argue that each Munchkin originally had a greater claim to fame than most WWI survivors and most Titanic survivors. With only seven survivors (out of 124) left, with the passing of time the remaining Munchkins will grow more famous because of their rarity. So at what stage might a Munchkin make the deathlist?

With referance to TF's comment about Ross Davidson I notice there is no shortage of DDP entries that have included him. But TF (see lock 2006 possibilities) has a point. I just think it worth debating.

Is Margaret Pellegrini, for example, a worthy candidate? Do little people last as long as bigger people?

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2005-03-...os-munchkinland

• Like 1

That link doesn't work, it works now.

A Munchkinn on the DeathList,

when Hell freezes over I say.

Meinhardt Raabe is perhaps the most famous living Munchkin,

He has his own DL thread here

We've ruled out WW1 survivors and Titanic survivors on the grounds that that's all they are. Fate and good genes is all they offer. The munchkin's are a more troublesome problem, fate, good genes (after a fashion) and a smattering of talent. I'm tellin' ya, you need nerves of steel and the judgement of a demi-god to be a moderator. Me, I'd say 'yes' on the spot.

I was tempted to enter a dead pool witha list entirely of midgets. Might be an idea for the furure.

Might be an idea for the furure.

Eh, you mean might be an idea for the future or might cause a furore? Either way, I think you're right.

I was tempted to enter a dead pool witha list entirely of midgets. Might be an idea for the furure.

Would that be a short-list then...

Yep, I've already got my coat.

Well bugger me. A munchkin there already. Eighty Eight is a good old age for a dwarf. If the munchkins had been in any old film I would have been as dismissive as TF but the Wizard of Oz was one of the most iconic films of the 20th century. The problem was that I don't think there was principal munchkin, so to speak.

Oh my god, i think i need glasses. When i first looked here i saw

'Munchkins - Edible or not?'

Looking at Margaret Pellegrini, I'd say not.

Meinhardt Raabe was a spokesman for Oscar Mayer for 30 years, so you never know...

:D Me too.

Guest ozaeng

OzMunchkinland.com is the Exclusive Agent for THREE of the surviving Original Munchkins from the "Wizard of Oz" 1939 movie. Munchkin Jerry Maren (aka "The Lollipop Kid"), Karl Slover (Munchkin Trumpeter), and Mickey Carroll (Munchkin Violinist and Fiddler) are available to your organization to help you promote your business or specific activity. Their specific biographical sketches may be found at our website.

For appearance fees and specific information, please feel free to contact us and or visit our website.

Thanks for your consideration in advance.

Ralph

Agent for The Munchkins

ozagent@aol.com

www.ozmunchkinland.com

OzMunchkinland.com is the Exclusive Agent for THREE of the surviving Original Munchkins from the "Wizard of Oz" 1939 movie. Munchkin Jerry Maren (aka "The Lollipop Kid"), Karl Slover (Munchkin Trumpeter), and Mickey Carroll (Munchkin Violinist and Fiddler) are available to your organization to help you promote your business or specific activity. Their specific biographical sketches may be found at our website.

For appearance fees and specific information, please feel free to contact us and or visit our website.

Ralph

Agent for The Munchkins

ozagent@aol.com

www.ozmunchkinland.com

And with my 30th birthday party coming up, this couldn't have come at a better time...

Everyone always talks about how little people have shorter lifespans than people of normal height, but so many of them outlived the main cast.

Included here are a list of most of the ones who were still alive in 2001... and many are still around...

Ralph

Agent for The Munchkins

ozagent@aol.com

www.ozmunchkinland.com

I must have been half asleep when looking at this after not seeing the thread for a while. My first thought was: how come so many munchkins have ended up in Australia?

Hey, who changed the heading?

We've ruled out WW1 survivors and Titanic survivors on the grounds that that's all they are. Fate and good genes is all they offer. The munchkin's are a more troublesome problem, fate, good genes (after a fashion) and a smattering of talent. I'm tellin' ya, you need nerves of steel and the judgement of a demi-god to be a moderator. Me, I'd say 'yes' on the spot.

But munchkins didn't choose to be munchkins.

WWI survivors chose to survive, if they wanted to they could have got shot.

Also, the Titanic crowd could have chosen to go down with the boat.

Hey, who changed the heading?

The change would have been funnier if it hadn't been mentioned in the forum already. :)

Well I think they did. Not any old little person could be a munchkin. It had to be a little person who could sing "follow the yellow brick road" while looking for part of the time like a plant.

Re-change, I hadn't noticed it, thought the posting was a

joke.

I've been trying to find some deeper meaning in munchkins. I assume they are in the original Frank Baum books, never read 'em. Maybe he was trying to say something but not sure what. I mean a road sign saying "Oz, this way" would have done the job just as well.

Well I think they did. Not any old little person could be a munchkin. It had to be a little person who could sing "follow the yellow brick road" while looking for part of the time like a plant.

Re-change, I hadn't noticed it, thought the posting was a

joke.

I've been trying to find some deeper meaning in munchkins. I assume they are in the original Frank Baum books, never read 'em. Maybe he was trying to say something but not sure what. I mean a road sign saying "Oz, this way" would have done the job just as well.

Perhaps they took all the road signs down, just in case the Germans invaded?

In which case, I'm sure you'll agree, the Munchkins came in bloody handy for Dorothy- coz quite frankly, the film would've been crap if she'd had to rely on an A-Z of Oz.

Not sure I agree with that one.

A lot of WWI people didn't want to get shot and tried to dessert and ended up being shot because they didn't want to get killed in the trenches.

No one really wanted to die in any war, but they had no choice really but to go and they were put where they wanted.

The munchkins on the other had simply auditioned for the role in the movie. The same with those that appeared as Oompa-Loompas for Willy Wonka and also as Ewoks in "Return of the Jedi"

Oh and of course those that took the lead roles in The Time Bandits

Guest Himler

Tell that to Ghandi/Jesus/George Bush ;)

Jerry Maren is currently alive & well, looking good for someone who is 86.

He was at Mall of America today signing autographs

Jerry Maren is currently alive & well, looking good for someone who is 86.

He was at Mall of America today signing autographs

Well did you get one?

not a chance, he was charging $30 for a signed photo

• Like 1