Sign in to follow this  
football_fan

Sheikh Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah

The Kuwaiti parliament has voted to oust the state's new emir, Emir Sheikh Saad Al-Abdullah Al-Salim Al-Sabah, because of his ill health. He is definitely one to keep an eye on.

Ailing Kuwait ruler ousted by MPs

The way things are going with Iran, etc, at the moment, shouldn't the entire Middle East be put on the list?

Or is that cheating? :)

He looked extremely frail at the funeral of Sheikh Jaber, the previous Kuwaiti Emir, and was in a wheelchair. That combined with colon cancer is not a good sign. I don't think he will last long.

They better start reading out his will now then. It'll take 'em till March to get through his name.

Certainly have, Jackie! Just collecting the last few celeb photos together, and then we're all straight, I think.

He looked extremely frail at the funeral of Sheikh Jaber, the previous Kuwaiti Emir, and was in a wheelchair. That combined with colon cancer is not a good sign. I don't think he will last long.

If he lasts until 2007, he'll be on my next DDP. I think he'd make at least a brief appearance in the BBC obits.

Probably won't last that long though methinks.

Can anyone confirm whether this loser is still breathing?

Definitely still alive, if he makes it to '07,

he'll be an excellent DDP pick.

I'm sorry, but why are you referring to him as a 'loser'? Though my knowledge of middle eastern politics is limited, the few links provided here do not indicate that he is particularly unsavoury. I hope you are not simply expressing racist sentiment. :P

Definitely still alive, if he makes it to '07,

he'll be an excellent DDP pick.

I agree. I have my doubts that he'll make it but, if he does, I'm sure he'll be the 2007 Lou Rawls.

Much concurring in February but how about now?

The last news I can find about him was just after his disposal as Emir.

He has dementia, has HAD (or has??) colon cancer, and is in a wheelchair. That was the state of play in January, and I've heard nothing since.

I'm tempted to leave him off my DDP list as he might do a Shamir & last for a fair few years in a rest home now he's out of sight, out of mind in Kuwait, as it were and has no Emir-like pressures.

Much concurring in February but how about now?

The last news I can find about him was just after his disposal as Emir.

He has dementia, has HAD (or has??) colon cancer, and is in a wheelchair. That was the state of play in January, and I've heard nothing since.

I'm tempted to leave him off my DDP list as he might do a Shamir & last for a fair few years in a rest home now he's out of sight, out of mind in Kuwait, as it were and has no Emir-like pressures.

I'm leaving him off... I really don't see it being worth the risk, especially since he's not exactly guaranteed a UK obit.

Probably put him on the WDP next year if he's still around then though.

What if he dies and get's a big (I mean HUGe) writeup in the papers? Won't you feel somewaht miffed that you left him off?

What if he dies and get's a big (I mean HUGe) writeup in the papers? Won't you feel somewaht miffed that you left him off?

Not really. Win some, lose some and all that.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if there were any changes to his Arabic wiki. Nothing since November, and nothing substantial for quite some time - it's worse than the English one.

Not really. Win some, lose some and all that.

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if there were any changes to his Arabic wiki. Nothing since November, and nothing substantial for quite some time - it's worse than the English one.

He's number one on my 'Men With Very Fine Names' theme team, closely followed by Bartholemew Ulufa'alu and Patriarch Maxim.

Not exactly a health update, but at least he is still alive.

He also seems to be going by the title of "Father Amir", which might be helpful when finding out further info on him.

Not exactly a health update, but at least he is still alive.

He also seems to be going by the title of "Father Amir", which might be helpful when finding out further info on him.

Gotta love a news story where 90%+ of the words are the names of the people involved.

Searching "Father Amir" gets me more Google news results than what I've been getting from his full name, but nothing health-related unfortunately.

Sheikh Saad attends Squash Open.

Picture included, but I'm not sure if he's in it or not.

Submitted for your consideration:

I can't link to the picture itself, but his picture is on the Arabic Wikipedia

The tall fellow 2nd from the right looks like him, but then they're all related so they may look very much alike and it may be the current Amir or someone else in the family.

Sheikh Saad attends Squash Open.

Picture included, but I'm not sure if he's in it or not.

Submitted for your consideration:

I can't link to the picture itself, but his picture is on the Arabic Wikipedia

The tall fellow 2nd from the right looks like him, but then they're all related so they may look very much alike and it may be the current Amir or someone else in the family.

It is him and he's looking fairly chipper, good for him but highly disappointing as far as my WDP is concerned.

but highly disappointing as far as my WDP is concerned.

And my DDP :crossbone:

Mebbe he looks so big and healthy because there's vital life saving equipment taped under his robes.

Well, we can dream eh?

I say put him back in charge, damn near killed him last time.