Sign in to follow this  
weatherman90

The Weatherman Death Pool

Respect, Dr Hack

You've got a 108 year old on board and still managed a lower average age than my team, which has a 12 year old.

Well here's my team....

themaninblack

APA = 75.0

1. Estelle Getty, 84

2. George Melly, 81

3. Lee Hazlewood, 78

4. Louis Farrakhan, 74

5. Tony Wilson, 58

6. I.J. Good, 91

7. Tammy Faye Messner, 66

8. Kevin White, 78

9. Francis Cardinal George, 71

10. Evel Knievel, 69

Here is my team

Football Fan

APA = 71.6

1. Irena Sendlerowa, 98

2. Tony Snow, 52

3. Mehmed Uzun, 55

4. Jesse Helms, 86

5. Lee Hazlewood, 78

6. Jeff Healey, 42

7. Tammy Faye Messner, 66

8. Yahweh Ben Yahweh, 72

9. Luciano Pavarotti, 72

10. Eddie Thompson, 68

Here's mine

Weatherman90

Theme Team - All picks born in 1918

APA = 89.0

* 1. Bobby Doerr, 89

* 2. Kurt Waldheim, 89

* 3. Mike Wallace, 89

* 4. Eddy Arnold, 89

* 5. Griffin Bell, 89

* 6. Joseph Wiseman, 89

* 7. Billy Graham, 89

* 8. Betty Ford, 89

* 9. Nelson Mandela, 89

* 10. Baby Peggy, 89

The APA was very difficult to calculate in this case.

If you want to know my team, go to the deadpool site.

I'm not going to insult you by posting it (which makes a change).

Just posting this for fun since the deadline for entries passed over 5 months ago for the WDP just to see if chosing the ten people (not chosen by any of the 19 official teams) at the top of my list might get a few unofficial points, even on a restricted time frame.

Fidel Castro

Freddy Fender

Dan Fogelberg

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlton Heston

Dr Jack Kevorkian

Evel Knievel

Jerry Lewis

Ron Santo

King Sihanouk

PS I've yet to factor into this list of ten names that would be most suitable to maximise the points/age groups - This I hope to do with an official honed entry in seven months time.

Well, getting in on the game late last year was a dullard act. I'll take on the points from Fender, but the rest were a complete let down. Naturally I hope I'll do better with this years team than the group above.

Hacky, I dimly recall you being based in the backwoods of Kent, do you have any inside news on the health of the inimitable Mr Knott?

Dr. Hackenslash

* 7. Alan Knott, 61

A hit!!! Lobby Loyde (link posted in the dead thread) :)

Hacky, I dimly recall you being based in the backwoods of Kent, do you have any inside news on the health of the inimitable Mr Knott?
Dr. Hackenslash

* 7. Alan Knott, 61

Sadly Knott.

Sorry for the delay - the weatherman was out of town. Indeed, Australian rocker Lobby Loyde brings the second hit of the pool in not a moment too late after a lengthy battle with lung cancer. Loyde, who played with Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs among other bands, died at 66, giving lone selector Canadian Paul the first place spot once again with 9 points - 8 for the age and one for the unique selection bonus. OMG still retains second place with 7 points.

So it seems Canadian Paul has quickly taken back 1st place - congratulations!

Grumble grumble grumble....

I hate 2007 - none of my teams are doing well anywhere. My only hit has been Josie Grove in the DDP, and John Inman as an 'any one of...' hit at Handrejka's deadpool.

My only success has been in my shadow Rotten Ali list (below) which counts for nothing.

By all accounts the DL isn't doing too well either.

Guest Guest
Grumble grumble grumble....

I hate 2007 - none of my teams are doing well anywhere. My only hit has been Josie Grove in the DDP, and John Inman as an 'any one of...' hit at Handrejka's deadpool.

My only success has been in my shadow Rotten Ali list (below) which counts for nothing.

By all accounts the DL isn't doing too well either.

Not if Fidel Castro dies! :P

Motion Picture Association President Jack Valenti has died at the age of 85, becoming the third hit of the year for the WDP. Valenti died after suffering a stroke just one day after leaving the hospital after being treated for a previous stroke. A bad stroke of luck indeed. Two teams selected Valenti - Canadian Paul and OMG. Coincidentally, both said teams have already had a hit in the pool, so the game remains with only two players having scored so far. Both teams will receive 7 points on account of his age. Canadian Paul still retains 1st place, now with a score of 16 points.

April has been quite fruitful - 3 hits already.

King of Uvea, Tomasi Kulimoetoke II, has died aged 88 after several years of poor health. Kulimoetoke II was the pick of Devon Death Trip's Finely Named Fellows, and that team will receive 6 points for his age, 1 point for being a unique pick, and the one-time bonus of 5 points for the creation of a theme team. Totaling 12 points, Devon Death Trip is in 3rd place.

Another hit, still on May 7: Yahweh ben Yahweh, the leader of the "Nation of Yahweh", a religious sect, has died aged 71. Yahweh had been suffering from prostate cancer, and even though the news first came yesterday, Yahweh actually died on the same day as the previous hit, Tomasi Kulimoetoke II, King of Uvea, giving the WDP its first "double death" in one day. Yahweh was a unique pick, having been only selected by Football Fan, who scores a total of 8 points and lands in the newly created 4th place. Canadian Paul still leads the scoreboard with 16 points.

Let me guess - in the event of a 'double death' the relevant teams get 10 points each?

I have scored my first hit in the WDP in the form of Kurt Waldheim. Hopefully the activity will pick up for the rest of the participants later this month.

Aye well it wound have done, if I'd seen sense and put Cuba's acting first lady on my WDP picks, dropped her in favour of UFOlogist John A Keel figuring I didn't want too many stiffs in one coffin - so to speak. Keel was improving last I heard.

Good old Liz, my first ever hit on my first ever team! Didn't think I'd ever get one as I didn't actually focus on whether they we're ill. Then again much like the Spanish inquisition, I like the element of surprise!

Congratulations Monoclinic! Sorry for the delay in the update, but the 4th of July has been keeping me busy!

Congratulations Monoclinic! Sorry for the delay in the update, but the 4th of July has been keeping me busy!

No worries. Thank-you! Though I am confused as to how I got a whopping 14 points for it! How does that break down - isn't it just 7 for her age and 5 for the theme part, i.e 12. Though if the unique conditions apply it would be 13 or maybe 16 if my whole team is unique. I can't seem to arrive at 14 though! Can anyone tell me why so I can get to grips with this whole deadpool malarkey! Thanks.

Scoring for the WDP is mostly age based:

Aged 1-30 - 10 Points

Aged 31-55 - 9 Points

Aged 56-70 - 8 Points

Aged 71-85 - 7 Points

Aged 86-122 - 6 Points

In addition, there are the following point bonuses:

If a pick is unique, meaning that they were selected by no other team, the team will receive one additional point (1 point) upon the death of that pick.

Teams in which all picks are unique receive an additional 3 points upon the death of the first pick.

Theme teams, or teams in which all ten picks have something significant in common, receive an additional 5 points upon the death of the first pick.

In addition, add 3 points if the pick's death is ruled as suicide.

No picks on death row are permitted.

No worries. Thank-you! Though I am confused as to how I got a whopping 14 points for it! How does that break down - isn't it just 7 for her age and 5 for the theme part, i.e 12. Though if the unique conditions apply it would be 13 or maybe 16 if my whole team is unique. I can't seem to arrive at 14 though! Can anyone tell me why so I can get to grips with this whole deadpool malarkey! Thanks.

I thnk you should be at 16 points - 7 for the hit, 1 for the unique, 3 for the all-team unique and 5 for the theme team. Maybe 15 if you don't get the individual unique pick on the same hit that you get all-team, but since that isn't stated, I think it should be 16.

Sorry for the confusion. Monoclinic receives 7 points for the hit, 1 point for unique, and the 1-time bonus of 6 points for both a theme team and an all-unique pick team. It was clarified earlier in this posting that teams that are both theme and all-unique will receive 6 points, instead of 8, since it is rather easy to have a theme team that also has all unique picks. Hopefully that made sense. :dead:

Meanwhile, Melly has died - I will get to the update.