7 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Good luck to Coventry this afternoon in the FA Cup semi. They should be the DL’s honorary team (okok, along with Fort William) as that’s where we invented the DL a mere 6 months before Cov won the 1987 FA Cup. Several of us, including Grim, went to both the qf and semi, the latter a raucous day in Sheffield. This qualified us for tickets to the final, which was scuppered by the local constabulary, who ordered the club to sell tickets early to avoid people camping out at Highfield Road for 48 hours. So we didn’t go to Wembley, but we did do the stagger into town to celebrate with complete strangers, which is a great, blurry memory. Ah nostalgia, beer mats for goalposts isn’t it …

Couldn't have done much better without winning it. Very unfortunate but a terrific performance by the Sky Blues.

• Like 1

You have to love a good Leeds United capitulation. 

Mighty Foxes back where they belong

44 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

On 01/10/2023 at 13:49, RoverAndOut said:

The 3 teams that have Enzo Maresca haven't got a chance of winning. Sat at Ewood Park and Leicester are going to walk the Championship this season.

As I predicted in October, albeit you had the good grace to make it interesting by threatening to collapse! :lol: Congratulations Biblio, now if you could see fit to throw 3 points our way next weekend, I'd be most grateful. ;)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

They should neve have got relegated last season IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

As I predicted in October, albeit you had the good grace to make it interesting by threatening to collapse! :lol: Congratulations Biblio, now if you could see fit to throw 3 points our way next weekend, I'd be most grateful. ;)

There is still the matter of the title

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

There is still the matter of the title

Ah, who cares you're up either way! :lol:

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 23:12, RoverAndOut said:

Well as we are Champions now Blackburn need the points more than we do but there is going to be a party atmosphere at King Power on Saturday.  Even if Blackburn lose they will still be very unlucky to be relegated. All three teams below will have to take points and some of their opponents still have unfinished business with the playoffs 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Well as we are Champions now Blackburn need the points more than we do but there is going to be a party atmosphere at King Power on Saturday.  Even if Blackburn lose they will still be very unlucky to be relegated. All three teams below will have to take points and some of their opponents still have unfinished business with the playoffs 

I suspect you are right, but given recent results I'm taking nothing for granted and it would be very Blackburn Rovers for the unlikely set of circumstances to happen and see us drop into the relegation zone just once in the season, on the final day. So I'm pleased you've got the title sewn up, and if you could chuck a point our way, we'll happily join in your victory party. :D

• Haha 1

Now that I can breathe easy can we just look at how exciting the last day of the Championship is going to be on Saturday

Ipswich need a point at home to relegated Huddersfield to secure second

Leeds need to beat fourth place Southampton and Ipswich lose to get the automatic promotion (Which could also be the play off final)

There are three teams vying for the other two playoff spots. 

Norwich need a point against Birmingham but can only lose out on a spot if WBA pick up points against Preston and Hull smash Plymouth by 4+ goals and Birmingham do the same to Norwich

However at the other end of the table it is even scrappier four teams are still in danger of ending up in the last relegation spot. Sheffield Wednesday have a terrible goal difference and if both Birmingham and Plymouth win and they lose it is they that make the drop. However if Birmingham and Plymouth win and Sheffield get a draw (at Sunderland) then Blackburn face the unfortunate prospect of League 1 next season if they lose at Mighty Champions Leicester who could reach 100 points with a win. A draw for Birmingham is only good enough if Plymouth are smashed around by Hull

Which means 7 of the 12 matches has something riding on it Rotherham vs Cardiff is just going to be a swan song but there is the possibility of three Yorkshire teams dropping out of the Championship depriving Sheffield of derby days next season but United will still get a Derby (County) day

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Leeds need to beat fourth place Southampton and Ipswich lose to get the automatic promotion (Which could also be the play off final)

There are three teams vying for the other two playoff spots. 

Norwich need a point against Birmingham but can only lose out on a spot if WBA pick up points against Preston and Hull smash Plymouth by 4+ goals and Birmingham do the same to Norwich

However at the other end of the table it is even scrappier four teams are still in danger of ending up in the last relegation spot. Sheffield Wednesday have a terrible goal difference and if both Birmingham and Plymouth win and they lose it is they that make the drop. However if Birmingham and Plymouth win and Sheffield get a draw (at Sunderland) then Blackburn face the unfortunate prospect of League 1 next season if they lose at Mighty Champions Leicester who could reach 100 points with a win. A draw for Birmingham is only good enough if Plymouth are smashed around by Hull

I'd like Plymouth to stay up (west country solidarity) so that means they'll get stuffed by Hull and go down, while Birmingham and Norwich play out a draw that will ultimately suit both of them.

Don't think Leeds or Southampton will go up, both are in poor form and have the disappointment of losing out in a season long chase for automatic promotion. If they make the play offs think Hull will do it, failing them then Norwich.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

I'd like Plymouth to stay up (west country solidarity) so that means they'll get stuffed by Hull and go down, while Birmingham and Norwich play out a draw that will ultimately suit both of them.

Don't think Leeds or Southampton will go up, both are in poor form and have the disappointment of losing out in a season long chase for automatic promotion. If they make the play offs think Hull will do it, failing them then Norwich.

West Brom have also had a run of poor form as they were sat in fifth place for months and now there is a possibility they may not make the playoffs

Norwich are the only in form team in those places

On 29/04/2024 at 22:51, Bibliogryphon said:

Cheers Biblio! I'll go and change my underwear now, not quite as comfortable as you thought we might be! :lol:  But happy to see the end of scummy Birmingham. Two more for Super Sammie!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Cheers Biblio! I'll go and change my underwear now, not quite as comfortable as you thought we might be! :lol:  But happy to see the end of scummy Birmingham. Two more for Super Sammie!

I was thinking of you watching those goals go in across the league.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

It also brings to an the end the worst bet in recorded history. I wagered a small sum on Birmingham finishing in the top three - each way bet, back in August. Don't judge me.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

It also brings to an the end the worst bet in recorded history. I wagered a small sum on Birmingham finishing in the top three - each way bet, back in August. Don't judge me.

Looked a decent shout when John Eustace had them in the top 6 in October. Then they appointed Rooney for his "winning mentality" and sunk without a trace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Amazing that 7 of the bottom 8 won on the last day (the exception being Huddersfield who were all but down anyway and were away to Ipswich who needed a result for automatic promotion).

Makes you wonder how, if all these clubs can suddenly win (mostly against top half teams, including the champions and play off contenders) when their lives depend on it, how come they can't win a bit more frequently before the last day.

Anyway, glad Plymouth stayed up, although their form over the second half of the season and the quality of their squad (mostly L1 standard) suggests they'll be favourites to go down next year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Amazing that 7 of the bottom 8 won on the last day (the exception being Huddersfield who were all but down anyway and were away to Ipswich who needed a result for automatic promotion).

Makes you wonder how, if all these clubs can suddenly win (mostly against top half teams, including the champions and play off contenders) when their lives depend on it, how come they can't win a bit more frequently before the last day.

Anyway, glad Plymouth stayed up, although their form over the second half of the season and the quality of their squad (mostly L1 standard) suggests they'll be favourites to go down next year.

Probably a lot will depend on whether they keep hold of Morgan Whittaker in the summer - third highest scorer in the Championship in a struggling team is very impressive.

14 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Probably a lot will depend on whether they keep hold of Morgan Whittaker in the summer - third highest scorer in the Championship in a struggling team is very impressive.

Try top scorer by 6 goals for a team 2 places higher. ;)

GMwEbQrW0AAsK_y.thumb.jpeg.2afd49dafa53ebcaed15bd58ba676ac9.jpeg

But, re: Whittaker, agreed. We won't hold on to Sammie.

• Like 1

Premier League manager granted anonymity in civil trial over alleged rape of 15 year-old girl 2 decades ago. Previously been investigated for an alleged rape of a different 15-year-old girl. That offence happened in the 1990s.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68985701

Obviously possible it happened elsewhere, but if we assume it's a British case and a British manager, given the dates I make it Dyche, Wilder or Moyes?

I've heard it's not a manager, but someone 'upstairs'.