16 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

West Ham won the Europa League Conference !

Any Hammers fans here ?

Here. Also an Inter Miami fan because of my connections to said city so hearing the Messi news is like an icing on the cake.

• Like 1

The weather for the Scotland game is terrible.  Its a complete joke that the game is even being played.  I understand that Georgia have travelled over but FFS. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to share with those who like football here the great goal that happened yesterday in the Brazilian Football Series B

Novorizontino 0x1 Botafogo SP

• Sad 1

England Women are through to their 1st World Cup final where they will play Spain. They beat co-hosts Australia 3-1 in the semi-final.

Any excuse to use this pun:

Sheila's take a bow

• Like 4

image.png.083c0ee5ea49a28b617cc6af9fd2cacc.png

This is fucking disgusting. For being a slightly above average player (1 Champions League, no World Cups) kicking a ball around half-heartedly in a sub-par league once a week. A mansion, a swimming pool, servants, 3 supercars, a driver, a private jet, a miilion euros for every 2 tweets licking his paymaster's arses and 100 million euros a year tax free (but don't worry,  he doesn't need to pay anything he visits anyway). The world is just wrecked.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

image.png.083c0ee5ea49a28b617cc6af9fd2cacc.png

This is fucking disgusting. For being a slightly above average player (1 Champions League, no World Cups) kicking a ball around half-heartedly in a sub-par league once a week. A mansion, a swimming pool, servants, 3 supercars, a driver, a private jet, a miilion euros for every 2 tweets licking his paymaster's arses and 100 million euros a year tax free (but don't worry,  he doesn't need to pay anything he visits anyway). The world is just wrecked.

Absolutely. You have to wonder how much is 'enough'? Especially when you have long-established football clubs in long-established football leagues struggling financially (OK some of that is bad management), But the rot started long before the Saudis came along.

I blame Jimmy Hill. 

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

image.png.083c0ee5ea49a28b617cc6af9fd2cacc.pngFor being a slightly above average player (1 Champions League, no World Cups)

Slightly above average ? The man is Brazil’s joint-top goalscorer along with Pelé. I’m not saying he is equal of Pelé, and I’m a PSG fan so he was mostly a disappointment, but saying he is « slightly above average » is exaggerated.

Just back, slightly stunned, after watching Exeter City manage to lose 0-9 at home to Reading. 

Feeling honoured to have witnessed the worst home defeat in 119 years. :facepalm:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

7 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Just back, slightly stunned, after watching Exeter City manage to lose 0-9 at home to Reading. 

Feeling honoured to have witnessed the worst home defeat in 119 years.

That's the Exeter team that's joint top of League One (which includes Reading, who would only be in mid-table even if they hadn't had a points deduction...)!

I guess/hope they had rested a few regulars.

I witnessed my lot's (Weymouth) record home defeat - also 9-0 - to Rushden & Diamonds about 10 years ago.

• Like 1

Yes, it was a young, inexperienced team and 5 or 6 nil might have been a fairer result. Things got very ragged in the last ten minutes.   

On 19/09/2023 at 22:03, DevonDeathTrip said:

Feeling honoured to have witnessed the worst home defeat in 119 years. :facepalm:

I was at Ewood a couple of years ago when our on-loan defender was sent off after half an hour and we lost 0-7 to Fulham. That was grim. Sometimes you've just got to suck it up. We beat Harrogate in the League Cup 8-0 a couple of weeks ago. That was a better experience!

• Like 1

On 19/09/2023 at 17:03, DevonDeathTrip said:

A serious question: Do you folks ever leave early when the match is no longer in doubt (and usually that means the home team is losing)?  There is also the ‘I need to beat the rush/traffic’ element that is the tipping point when this sort of outcome happens.

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

A serious question: Do you folks ever leave early when the match is no longer in doubt (and usually that means the home team is losing)?  There is also the ‘I need to beat the rush/traffic’ element that is the tipping point when this sort of outcome happens.

Based on experience getting out of Reading. You'd need half an hour head start anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always stay until the end.   Like to get my money's worth!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Never leave early. Anything can happen. (Although not at 0-7 to be fair!) But back the team, always stay to the end. Many folks don't though, so if you're looking from a "British culture" point of view, leaving early is fairly common, win, lose or draw. I walk to and from the ground anyway, so traffic isn't an issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Meanwhile the 2030 World Cup will be held in SIX countries! God preserve us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sly Ronnie said:

Meanwhile the 2030 World Cup will be held in SIX countries! God preserve us.

After Russia and Qatar, nothing FIFA do will surprise me.

I imagine they'll also claim it'll be a carbon-neutral tournament - in fact they'll probably claim it will somehow solve climate change and world hunger...

On 28/06/2023 at 11:42, diego said:

I just wanted to share with those who like football here the great goal that happened yesterday in the Brazilian Football Series B

Novorizontino 0x1 Botafogo SP

This same player who scored the goal that is competing for Puskas this year scored this goal against the same opponent who had scored the goal above

2034 World Cup set be hosted by Saudi Arabia.

Rumour has it that the 2038 World Cup will have a joint bid from Guernsey, Cook Island, Greenland, Hawaii, Madagascar and Belgium.

• Like 1

Just now, Sly Ronnie said:

2034 World Cup set be hosted by Saudi Arabia.

Rumour has it that the 2038 World Cup will have a joint bid from Guernsey, Cook Island, Greenland, Hawaii, Madagascar and Belgium.

Beat me to it. BuffaloPhil's comment re. a carbon-neutral tournament got that bit more pointed. All sorts of PR gymnastics will be required with that host nation :lol:

FIFA (maybe intentionally) painted themselves into a corner by having the 2026 tournament hosted in North America, and the 2030 tournament jointly held in South America, Africa and Europe, meaning all those continents were disqualified from the 2034 edition. That left only Asia and Oceania, and when Australia withdrew their bid (I wonder why :scratchhead:) the Saudis, who were backed by the AFC, had no competition.

• Like 1