The Reading FC Machine rolls on... also nice to take 4 points from Liverpool this season... ;) EFC

Aye, it's wonderful, truly, truly wonderful, but tinged with incredulity.

6th in the Premier League? 40 points by Feb 3rd? What IS going on?!?!? :P;):o

Wigan were going great guns last season and then.... :D

Either way I hope Steve Coppell remembers what happened 17 years ago when they roll

up at Old Trafford in a few weeks time.... ;)

The Cambodian Football Federation has banned foreign players from playing in the country's Hun Sen Cup competition because they are "too good"

Sao Sokha, chairman of the Cambodian Football Federation says:

"They're taller, stronger and more experienced, so it's unfair if we let them play. They're too good compared with Cambodian players."

Cambodia are placed 176th in the FIFA world rankings.

didn't Scotland accuse England of cheating once - for 'passing the ball too much' ?

i just LOVE it when Everton win, and Liverpool lose. life is sweet...

Despite the 1-4 home defeat Carlisle held Yeovil fairly well for most of the 90, pushed out towards the end and both their final goals are credited in the 90th minute. Off to Orient next Saturday, who leaked 5 yesterday against relegation threatened Bournemouth.

Wonder if I'll get the chance to give any DL regulars a cheery wave at Brisbane Road?

I don't normally wish death on anyone, only guess...

I'll make an exception with Alex Ferguson..

I sincerely hope he dies of cancer.... :referee:

Manchester United 1 Liverpool 0

:referee:

The New England Patriots just landed free agent linebacker Adalius Thomas! What? This isn't about football? It's about soccer??? Sorry all you chaps and blokes.

The New England Patriots just landed free agent linebacker Adalius Thomas! What? This isn't about football? It's about soccer??? Sorry all you chaps and blokes.

No need to apologise.

It is about a game, played for the most part, with the feet, and a ball, given the most logical and beautiful name, 'football'. (A bit like how marine biologists call a blue fish, a 'blue fish', a shark that looks like it has a hammer for a head, a 'Hammer Head', a fish that can fly, a 'flying fish', etc.,) It's full name is association football, from which, somehow, the abbreviation, 'soccer', comes from. This was sometimes used to distinguish it from Rugby football, (named after the school in England it supposedly began in). Even the French are happy to use the 'Anglo' term, Rugby, to describe what is considered the national team game, since after all it was the original name.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the very popular in America, American sport, called football, where contact with the foot is very rare.

No need to apologise.

It is about a game, played for the most part, with the feet, and a ball, given the most logical and beautiful name, 'football'. (A bit like how marine biologists call a blue fish, a 'blue fish', a shark that looks like it has a hammer for a head, a 'Hammer Head', a fish that can fly, a 'flying fish', etc.,) It's full name is association football, from which, somehow, the abbreviation, 'soccer', comes from. This was sometimes used to distinguish it from Rugby football, (named after the school in England it supposedly began in). Even the French are happy to use the 'Anglo' term, Rugby, to describe what is considered the national team game, since after all it was the original name.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the very popular in America, American sport, called football, where contact with the foot is very rare.

We kick it sometimes.

No need to apologise.

We kick it sometimes.

Very true.

It is the lack of imagination that America seems to have applied to naming this game that is so amazing. A new adapted version of the English game of Rugby football is developed. What do they call it? Did they name it after the college it was first played at? Did they name it after the place it was first played. No, they gave it the same name as another, possibly the most popular, game in the world.

I think America did a great job of adopting, adapting and renaming the English game of rounders, a game with a ball and bases became, 'baseball'. Brilliant.

No need to apologise.

We kick it sometimes.

Very true.

It is the lack of imagination that America seems to have applied to naming this game that is so amazing. A new adapted version of the English game of Rugby football is developed. What do they call it? Did they name it after the college it was first played at? Did they name it after the place it was first played. No, they gave it the same name as another, possibly the most popular, game in the world.

I think America did a great job of adopting, adapting and renaming the English game of rounders, a game with a ball and bases became, 'baseball'. Brilliant.

Dave- Are you really such a smug sanctimonious twit or is this just a role you're playing?

He has a point, mind. I mean, he's having a rant at The United States but years before the USA came into being Switzerland never thought of calling itself the 'United Cantons' and Great Britain never considered 'United Counties.'

I'm not knocking their many achievements; jazz, wonders of engineering and archictecture and the invention of napalm but there is a facility in the US psyche for re-discovering the blantantly obvious and hyping it beyond all reason.

He has a point, mind. I mean, he's having a rant at The United States but years before the USA came into being Switzerland never thought of calling itself the 'United Cantons' and Great Britain never considered 'United Counties.'

I'm not knocking their many achievements; jazz, wonders of engineering and archictecture and the invention of napalm but there is a facility in the US psyche for re-discovering the blantantly obvious and hyping it beyond all reason.

MPFC- I was just having a little joke about the fact that two different sports are called by the same name. No American with any sense believes the twaddle that we're the best at everything but it gets a bit tiresome when some individuals think that we're responsible for all the world's troubles and that we're all a bunch of jingoistic idiots. We 're just like everyone else in that we have some virtues and some faults. I can take criticism or a joke as well as anyone but Dave's tone is just a bit snotty for my taste. There, I feel better.

I can take criticism or a joke as well as anyone but Dave's tone is just a bit snotty for my taste. There, I feel better.

I glad you feel better deadsox. I feel terrible. I've never been so insulted in my life. I even left the bit out about rounders being a girls' game for fear of being called childish and sexist.

I can take criticism or a joke as well as anyone but Dave's tone is just a bit snotty for my taste. There, I feel better.

I glad you feel better deadsox. I feel terrible. I've never been so insulted in my life. I even left the bit out about rounders being a girls' game for fear of being called childish and sexist.

Dave- If that was the biggest insult of your life, you've been very sheltered. You don't seem childish or sexist, just one of a species of European who for some reason (inferiority complex?) likes to take gratuitous shots at the US. It's quite all right, though, we can take it.

It's quite all right, though, we can take it.

Of course you can. That's why we all love you.

It's quite all right, though, we can take it.

Of course you can. That's why we all love you.

Thanks Dave. We love y'all too.

Aye, I was just joshing myself, like. I mean the notion of an individual born and raised in West Cumbria accusing others of lacking class.........

You get my drift I'm sure.

Aye, I was just joshing myself, like. I mean the notion of an individual born and raised in West Cumbria accusing others of lacking class.........

You get my drift I'm sure.

I get your drift MPFC.

It's alright for you, but this, I think (with due respect to those taking part) rather dull exchange, has caused much hilarity in the 'ttG' household. Agreement on the 'smug, santimonious twit' bit apparently, although it was felt by SttG that I was sounding more like a 'pompous arse'.

Seeing yourself as others see you :D . Tough stuff :D .

Talking of which, I have taken the time to look at some of my previous posts. There would appear to be quite an 'anti-American foreign policy' thread running through a few of them. I am not anti-American, in the same way I am not anti-Arab. I don't apologise for my views, I do however apologise for cluttering up this rather splendid forum with them.

Dave. (Who can still remember the excitement of getting his first pair of Bass Weejun loafers)

Bit hard on yourself there, I mean, if we all had to apologise for cluttering up the forums with irrelvent shite......

I'd type more but hands just started shaking!

OK i'm bored.. here we go for this weekends FA Cup Predictions predictions:

Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Man Utd

Chelsea 2 - 0 Spurs

Blackburn 3 - 1 Man City

Plymouth 2 - 0 Watford

OK i'm bored.. here we go for this weekends FA Cup Predictions predictions:

Middlesbrough 2 - 1 Man Utd

Chelsea 2 - 0 Spurs

Blackburn 3 - 1 Man City

Plymouth 2 - 0 Watford

oh well... :banghead: