Carlisle lost at that level to Dagenham and Woking amongst others. It's strength in depth that gets you through a season and Oxford are a bigger club than any other down there. Don't bet against them being champions, with a a shitload of points.

The Curse of the Cup strikes again....

Alan Pardew sacked

Moral of the story: If you want to keep your job, DON'T take your team to the FA Cup final! :)

Alan Pardew sacked

Moral of the story: If you want to keep your job, DON'T take your team to the FA Cup final! :)

and don't allow dodgy foreigners to force their way onto your team after the start of the season, breaking up the team morale you'd fostered over the previous 3 seasons.

Aye, I predict a chairman of a more stable club will soon offer Pardew gainful employment. Either that or he'll fight Arsene Wenger for money on live tv.

Curbishley for the Hammers then?

Alan Pardew sacked

This year has been so brilliant for Reading.

A Championship, won in thumping style, record points, 7th in the Premier League - yes, 7th - 7 defeats in total this calendar year, Swindon relegated, Oxford now a non-league club and now to round off our year, ParJUDAS sacked.

Happy Happy day, happy happy happy days, Happy Happy Day, happy happy days!!!!

B)

Oh, MIB. Yes, Curbs in.

Alan Pardew sacked

This year has been so brilliant for Reading.

A Championship, won in thumping style, record points, 7th in the Premier League - yes, 7th - 7 defeats in total this calendar year, Swindon relegated, Oxford now a non-league club and now to round off our year, ParJUDAS sacked.

Happy Happy day, happy happy happy days, Happy Happy Day, happy happy days!!!!

:(

Oh, MIB. Yes, Curbs in.

I take it you are a Reading fan Octopus.... B)

But what gave you that impression?

Was it the fact that my avatar was briefly Coppell/Madejski or that I hate Oxford United/Leeds and the fact that I have mentioned Reading FC numerous times on this fora............

or was it a lucky guess? :)

679d0bafa0278c936e6b921e5474986e.gif

URZZZZZZZZ!

Right, that should dispel any future doubts...

Never spotted any of them signs OoO; that irrational hatred of Oxford mind..........

I had no idea when I started this thread it would become so successful. sad to say that Millwall are doing no better.

Dundee winger Andy McLaren has obviously got a short fuse. During Saturday's loss to the mighty Clyde he managed to get sent off three times in the same match - Once for striking an opposing player, once again for striking another opposing player after he had received his red card and then a final time when he told the referee in no uncertain terms what he thought of the first two decisions. Respect.

Dundee winger Andy McLaren has obviously got a short fuse. During Saturday's loss to the mighty Clyde he managed to get sent off three times in the same match - Once for striking an opposing player, once again for striking another opposing player after he had received his red card and then a final time when he told the referee in no uncertain terms what he thought of the first two decisions. Respect.

Had Graham Poll been the ref he'd still have made it through the 90 mins....

The guy is a numpty. He is now going to quit football rather than be disciplined, according to reports.

He's a recovering alcoholic who has demons, which isn't his fault, but he shouldn't be surprised if fans and opposing players use that to wind him up.

Admittedly, his son was beaten-up pretty badly a weekend or so ago and left in hospital, but the game will not miss what he has become. Another wasted Scottish talent, sadly.

Just give it a few weeks and his addiction battles will be all over the Record!

The guy is a total W**ker. :P

Used to "play" for us (Reading) (in other words he was paid to pass to the opposition & make no effort at all) and whilst he was earning mega bucks, spent it all on drugs & drink. Insulted the fans whilst he was here and never apologised for any of his mismeadeamours, before he was inevitably sacked by us for "gross misconduct" and taking performance-enhancing drugs as well as the recreational ones.

All I can say is he played under the influence of "performance-enhancing" drugs, I'd hate to see what he plays like without them. :D

I know Robin Friday was a bit of a bad 'un, but he had respect for the fans. Andy McLaren never did. I'm hardly surprised to see the latest mismeadmour from this fellow.

That must be some kind of record, I think.

I've more than once contemplated the introduction of a third card, I suppose black is the colour of choice. In addition to being sent off, the player who receives one is summarily shot.

regards,

Hein

That's a damn good idea - the card, not the gun-shot. In lower leagues where violent altercations between opposing players and players and officials are more common it could have the force of obliging the cautioned player to leave the ground and/or signal an automatic suspension twice that of a straight red.

Be a crowd pleaser would that Hein. Suggest it to the FA.

Dr Hack

Do you know much about this Gretna will play in Carlisle rumour? It's been gaining some ground on the unofficial message boards and despite the poster at the top of this thread being a serial wind up merchant he's also in the know on some crucial issues and has proven it in the past. So far as I can see it's against SPL rules but these can be bent in exceptional circumstances. In fact, two years back Gretna almost played at BP and would have done but for a weather induced cancellation.

Brunton Park isn't - strictly - up to standard. We have the piping for under-soil heating but haven't put the final heating system in. If Gretna chipped in to allow Celtic and Rangers to play that'd sort the under-soil problem. Brunton Park has some standing but also seats more than some SPL grounds. I dunno if we'd have to close the standing accomodation, but we would comply with the minimum capacity if we did. I think the exceptional circumstances that might prompt the SPL if this were true are the fact that Brunton Park is a 14 mile round trip from your ground whilst Motherwell - where you played in Europe - is 140.

Do you know much about this Gretna will play in Carlisle rumour?

I honestly can't see it happening. For many reasons. But to quote the Sunday Herald from recently:

"Yet there is an alternative which would make life extremely manageable for Gretna if they are promoted - but it cannot even by investigated because of football politics. Carlisle is a mere six miles away, Brunton Park has a 16,000 capacity, but both are in England.

"It would be ideal" agreed (Gretna chief exec) Muir, "but I'm not even tempted to look at it because I would imagine it's a non-starter as it's in another country. I've never asked the question because I think I know the answer.

"At the time of the Derry game we were told not to go to Carlisle by the SFA. Then ironically we drew Derry, who are in Northern Ireland but play in the Republic."

Muir is correct in his assumption. For all that Berwick Rangers are permitted to play in Scotland for historical reasons, an SFA spokesman said: "Each member club must register its ground with us. No such club can move to another ground, even to share temporarily, without first obtaining the consent of the board. Registering grounds outside Scotland does not come within our jurisdiction."

Aye but read between the lines, registering grounds outside Scotland isn't just down to them, but in this case the other authority - the FA - would probably agree. The SPL are fairly conscious of the fiasco caused when Inverness Cally had to travel miles to a more suitable ground a while back. TBH I doubted this would happen but if it's a season long problem the SPL know they'll look complete tossers if Gretna fans have to travel 140 miles in January to a game that gets called off at half an hour's notice in Motherwell.

See, those in the know down here were saying 'never' a few weeks back, now they're not so sure.

YES!

Second from bottom, I wish I could say the only way is up.... but my mate Yazz was always much better at it.

Got in late, only found out Charlton were even playing tonight when I put the TV on to see what happened in the Champion's League. The mighty Les Reed takes us to a new level i.e. he'd not won a game before.

He might not need a very big scrapbook to keep a record of the rest of our victories this season though.

What happened last night, TLC? Charlton's best chance of silverware since the FA Cup win in black & white days and they blow it........ again.

YES!

Second from bottom, I wish I could say the only way is up.... but my mate Yazz was always much better at it.

Got in late, only found out Charlton were even playing tonight when I put the TV on to see what happened in the Champion's League. The mighty Les Reed takes us to a new level i.e. he'd not won a game before.

He might not need a very big scrapbook to keep a record of the rest of our victories this season though.

What happened last night, TLC? Charlton's best chance of silverware since the FA Cup win in black & white days and they blow it........ again.

Shouldn't this belong in the Charlton Heston Theater of the Dead?

I think it's in our constitution that we're not allowed past quarter finals in anything since the glory of the FA cup triumph of 1947, (even I can't include a losing final appearance in the Full Members' Cup) even when we are given a succession of easy ties. Can't ask for much more than home to Wycombe in a league cup quarter final, can you? Except to win it, that is. The year we regained promotion to the Premier league after our initial 1 year visit we got Bolton in the FA cup quarters when they were also in our league. We beat them twice in the league, including I think the week before or after the FA cup match, but we lost that 1-0. Just to rub it in, Claus Jensen scored it, who we then signed that summer.

I hope we get rid of Les Reed, he's admitted that he'll be 'cherry picking' what games to try and get points from for the rest of the season! But we can't win with our best team out, does that mean when we play Chelsea he'll put the reserves out? It'll end up an Aussie Ashes batting score!

I wasn't thrilled at us getting Dowie, but once we'd decided we should have stuck with him until xmas at the very least, if not the whole season. That's as close as I've ever come to agreeing with Simon Jordan about anything!

Curbs must be pissing himself, and not through old age or infirmity. One game in charge of West Ham and he beats Man U, which he never did in 15 years at Charlton. We still revel in the glory of a 3-3 draw with them due to being 3-1 down at one point.....

Unless there's some corruption scandals waiting to hit English Football then we're down. We can barely stay above Watford, and everyone else keeps winning at least the odd game here and there. It seems our recent mid-table mediocrity lasted just long enough for us to be able to buy players who are good when it's going well, replacing many of the less talented battlers we had for so many years who'd be putting up a better fight than this. As would my nan (deceased).

I hope we get rid of Les Reed, he's admitted that he'll be 'cherry picking' what games to try and get points from for the rest of the season! But we can't win with our best team out, does that mean when we play Chelsea he'll put the reserves out? It'll end up an Aussie Ashes batting score!

Really? Now that is stupid.

Totally the wrong mentality. I think that's the reason we have 25 points, and you have 11 or 12 - take every game as it comes etc.

If that's really Reed's philosophy, then I can tell him Watford (H), Watford (A), Middlesbrough (H) and there'll always be one like, I don't know Manchester City or Fulham (H). That's 12 points. Ah well, Les, me son, best get your route map for Scunthorpe.

Getting rid of Dowie might well have been the right thing to do, but replace him with an even bigger idiot most certainly wasn't. At least it wasn't Sven... -_-

What? Like Sven on about ten squillion a year from the FA until he finds a job would have - like - considered Charlton and the tempting prospect of the away trips to Scunthorpe and Colchester next year?

Somewhere foreign, warm and well-paid only. Be interesting to see how well his tactical masterplans succeed in the Champions League when he finally signs a contract.

What? Like Sven on about ten squillion a year from the FA until he finds a job would have - like - considered Charlton and the tempting prospect of the away trips to Scunthorpe and Colchester next year?

Somewhere foreign, warm and well-paid only. Be interesting to see how well his tactical masterplans succeed in the Champions League when he finally signs a contract.

Colchester will be in the Premiership 2007-2008 yet, you mark my words.

Sven is bored & constantly being nagged by wifey/girlfriend (whatever she is) Nancy dell Ollollieooo. No club in the entire world wants him thus far, so if Charlton, or even Northampton Town come calling, I expect him to sign double quick. ;)