May have been mentioned before, but:

Parents who give their children ridiculous names:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/22/Worldand...says_a_nu.shtml

Are they 4real?!!! :D Why don't they just call the poor sod "Albert". They could always register him here on the DL if they want to give him a daft name!

There was a girl in my daughter's nursery called Treacle. Parents like this need a slap.

One of my cousins called her new son 'Noah'.

I had to laugh, for Noah's parents will not be married until next month.

Anyway, my new entry to Room 101 is the Microfilm machine at my library.

It rather old an noisy which sort of contradicts the whole idea of being quiet in a Library. The machine is upstairs in a small computer room with about 10 computers. So you have people, usually foreigners, on these computers quietly typing away. Then I come along and piss about with that noisy bugger.

You get some strange looks aswell as a bit of mutterings in Polish.

It's annoying.

One of my cousins called her new son 'Noah'.

I had to laugh, for Noah's parents will not be married until next month.

The Ark got shaking before the wedding ring. Everybody does that today. Except Rev. Keith O'Brian and the catholic church.

You get some strange looks as well as a bit of mutterings in Polish.

If you hear the word "kurva" it's a grievous insult against your mother and you are obliged to go and kick the offender's heid in.

Just so that you know.

:)

Scottish Shires!

Where, oh where, did all those obscurely named shires come from? Are they all legitimate or do people make them up? It would seem that any Scottish town has a fair chance of being within it's own shire. Can someone (Windsor?) actually post up a list of the legit. shires of Scotland.

Examples are Clackmannanshire and Kinross-shire

John-O'Groatshire anyone?

DWB :) (who isn't welcome north of the border any more)

I'll keep that in mind, NAP. I'll cave his heid in. :)

DWB, Wikipedia says this:

Inverness-shire

Nairnshire

Banffshire

Aberdeenshire

Kincardineshire

Angus (Forfarshire until 1928)

Perthshire

Ayrshire

Renfrewshire

Dunbartonshire

Stirlingshire

Clackmannanshire

Kinross-shire

East Lothian (Haddingtonshire until 1921)

West Lothian (Linlithgowshire until 1921)

Lanarkshire

Peeblesshire

Selkirkshire

Berwickshire

Roxburghshire

Dumfriesshire

Kirkcudbrightshire

Wigtownshire

Some of these are not in existence now.

There are other which can be included. Some of my family were born down in Sutherland in the 1820s. On the census, they list their birthplace as Sutherlandshire.

regards

Windsor (from Aberdeenshire)

Scottish Shires!

Where, oh where, did all those obscurely named shires come from? Are they all legitimate or do people make them up? It would seem that any Scottish town has a fair chance of being within it's own shire. Can someone (Windsor?) actually post up a list of the legit. shires of Scotland.

Examples are Clackmannanshire and Kinross-shire

John-O'Groatshire anyone?

DWB :) (who isn't welcome north of the border anymore)

There aren't that many Scottish Shires DWB, the only other ones I can think of are Dumfriesshire, Berwickshire, Ross-shire and Morayshire. It's more common to refer to regions:

Strathclyde

Dumfries and Galloway

Borders

Lothian

Central

Fife

Tayside

Grampian

Highland

Western Isles

Perhaps you could wear a disguise should you ever come up here for a visit :P .

I'll keep that in mind, NAP. I'll cave his heid in. :)

DWB, Wikipedia says this:

Inverness-shire

Nairnshire

Banffshire

Aberdeenshire

Kincardineshire

Angus (Forfarshire until 1928)

Perthshire

Ayrshire

Renfrewshire

Dunbartonshire

Stirlingshire

Clackmannanshire

Kinross-shire

East Lothian (Haddingtonshire until 1921)

West Lothian (Linlithgowshire until 1921)

Lanarkshire

Peeblesshire

Selkirkshire

Berwickshire

Roxburghshire

Dumfriesshire

Kirkcudbrightshire

Wigtownshire

Some of these are not in existence now.

There are other which can be included. Some of my family were born down in Sutherland in the 1820s. On the census, they list their birthplace as Sutherlandshire.

regards

Windsor (from Aberdeenshire)

I stand corrected Windsor, I never realised there were so many, now I come to think of it I live in West Dunbartonshire :P .

Thank you both for your input. It just strengthens my argument when one posts a definitive list and another then adds two more - and you have to admit there are some pretty obscure ones in there!

Also my poor geography tells me Berwick is in England (only English team to play in Scottish league?) So how does Berwickshire come to be?

DWB :)

Thank you both for your input. It just strengthens my argument when one posts a definitive list and another then adds two more - and you have to admit there are some pretty obscure ones in there!

Also my poor geography tells me Berwick is in England (only English team to play in Scottish league?) So how does Berwickshire come to be?

The article did say it needed expert input. lol

Then again, some nationalist nobody probably stuck it in for cheap giggles because it used to be part of Scotland.

The article did say it needed expert input. lol

Then again, some nationalist nobody probably stuck it in for cheap giggles because it used to be part of Scotland.

Sorry Windsor, you can't blame the SNP for that one as Berwickshire covers both sides of the border, Borders Council has control of East and Mid Berwickshire.

LG (whose parents live in Roxburghshire, right next door to Berwickshire!)

Sorry Windsor, you can't blame the SNP for that one as Berwickshire covers both sides of the border, Borders Council has control of East and Mid Berwickshire.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll find something to blame Salmond and his party for by the end of the day.

He eats babies, you know.

In case anyone has forgotten, today was Tony Blair's last full day in office.

Is anybody else getting bored of channel 4's none stop Blair-a-thon? I believe they have something called 'Blaired Vision' on tonight. I did watch the Rory Bremner one last night - that was pretty funny.

Are some of the Scottish counties that don't end in shire (the Lothians?, Moray? Lack of Scottish Geography compels me to stop) still effectively shire counties? i.e. Those which aren't metropolitan counties. Say for instance Cornwall and Devon are still shire counties (in fact didn't Devon used to be called Devonshire?)

Politicians who change parties while in office, like that MP today. They are elected in large part because of their party, their voting is heavily influenced by what the rest of the party wants. You shouldn't be allowed to change teams because you didn't like your captain's first half performance.

Politicians who change parties while in office, like that MP today. They are elected in large part because of their party, their voting is heavily influenced by what the rest of the party wants. You shouldn't be allowed to change teams because you didn't like your captain's first half performance.

Never trust a Politician with the Christian name of Quentin.

He is clearly a traitor and somebody should shoot the bastard.

Are some of the Scottish counties that don't end in shire (the Lothians?, Moray? Lack of Scottish Geography compels me to stop) still effectively shire counties? i.e. Those which aren't metropolitan counties. Say for instance Cornwall and Devon are still shire counties (in fact didn't Devon used to be called Devonshire?)

LG previous quoted Moray as being Morayshire. I'm telling you, nobody knows what goes on with these areas, especially the Scots.

LG previous quoted Moray as being Morayshire. I'm telling you, nobody knows what goes on with these areas, especially the Scots.

Well, you could also go with a Moray eel.

If you want to eat one, follow this medieval advice: scald the moray eel just like the conger eel; and if it is alive flog it vigorously because all the fish bones will descend to the tail, and if you want to deceive your companion give him the tail to eat.

Well, you could also go with a Moray eel.

If you want to eat one, follow this medieval advice: scald the moray eel just like the conger eel; and if it is alive flog it vigorously because all the fish bones will descend to the tail, and if you want to deceive your companion give him the tail to eat.

I went to a fish restaurant in Messina, Sicily a few years ago. The meals that ended up on the table were incredibly fresh, I saw an eel skinned alive and thrown in to the frying pan, still writhing. On the same night I saw the chef pick a live octopus out of a fish tank, chop off two of it's legs for his fish soup and then put it back in the tank for the next time it was needed. The food was delicious.

I went to a fish restaurant in Messina, Sicily a few years ago. The meals that ended up on the table were incredibly fresh, I saw an eel skinned alive and thrown in to the frying pan, still writhing. On the same night I saw the chef pick a live octopus out of a fish tank, chop off two of it's legs for his fish soup and then put it back in the tank for the next time it was needed. The food was delicious.

I feel that with all this animal welfare shite circulating, fish get a raw deal.

I was watching a television programme called 'Trawlermen' (don't know if it local television or what) and it showed the fish being gutted whilst still alive. Nothing is said. sh*t happens. Imagine if someone skinned a rabbit alive? At least they get killed first.

Also - lobsters. Thrown into a pan of boiling water. Some people do take a compasionate viewpoint with lobsters. Instead of throwing them into the boiling water, they shove them in the freezer for a couple of hours and then throw them into boiling water - alive.

Even rod fishing is a bit brutal. I can remember the few days I was encouraged to go fishing on the pier/rockside. First, the poor fish gets a hook stuck in its mouth and is dragged out of the water by that hook. Were that not enough torture, I was always encouraged to 'stun' the fish by battering it off the head. I'd take the line and swing the fish to the wall/ground so that the impact would stun it. I don't think many were still alive when they were thrown back.

Perhaps I could be the founding member of the RSPCF? :)

Guest Guest
Perhaps I could be the founding member of the RSPCF?

I'd support you, Win. In fact, I'd be your biggest fin. :)

Cheers,

BHB

Damn! Possibly the finest post of my DL career and I forgot to sign in.

Life sucks...

Fat people whose clothes are too small.

Have you been peering through my windows? :)

Have you been peering through my windows? :)

No, looking in the mirror :P My clothes seem to shrink while they're in the wardrobe.