Er, did someone just change the subtitle of this thread to "Deathlisters Hate Pets"? haha.........!

Yes, someone did change the subtitle, but not just; it's been like that for years. Oh, and it wasn't me who did it.

regards,

Hein

So I got to introduce myself to 3 terrified young men - yes I know those of you that have met me will know how terrifying that is for anyone who at least knows a bit about me, but these kids had never heard of me and I hoped my outward veneer of confidence would hold up, it was totally see through. I am sure they went away thinking 'I have just met the mad aunt from some old movie'.

Two weeks ago I had the interesting experience of doing job interviews with two applicants for the position of "software release manager" in the company I work for as a programmer. In other words, I got the chance to choose my own boss. The one I liked best (an elderly programmer who hoped to get a better paid job in a management position, as opposed to a youngish geezer, who works as a product development manager at a large Dutch electronics company, obviously competent and a bit of a prat) got hired and yesterday I had a talk with him about our future collaboration. It appeared that I scared the hell out of him in that interview by asking such nasty things as: "Suppose I made a mess of my job; how would you break the news to our customer?" and "Do you drink beer?"

Just read this back and I am indeed that old bag and loser, suffice to say we hope to take on 2 of them. I shall have my work cut out as a grammar nazi with them and also to convince them that I really have a softer side and I will be making them tea, coffee nipping out to get them their lunch etc and almost plumping their pillows .......as long as they remember to use capital letters :shoot:

I never met the Professional LG, but I have a hard time imaginaging you as a Grammar Nazi.

This bit should really be in the Room Lovely or a DLCON topic, but my last remark reminded me of this: last Tuesday I finally got to meet Tuber Mirum IRL. He's just as nice a bloke as I imagined.

regards,

Hein

They were actually great kids and fairly accurate at the data input but when did they stop teaching capitalisation at schools, if it is an address every word gets a capital letter, if your address is the funny farm every word gets a capital letter. They also learned postcodes can actually have 4 digits in the first part - all 3 of of them changed TD11 to TD1 and proceeded to tell me there can only be 3 digits in the first part of a postcode, no there can't 4 is the maximum, small beef but they were asked to type in what they were given, they were useless at putting capital letters in postcodes too.

They didn't stop teaching capitalisation at schools. They were just idiots.

Things that are pissing me off right now:

- MP3s that have really low fucking volumes so you have to turn the speakers or your headphones way up just to get a decent volume. If you can, that is. I'm not a 90 year old fucking granny, so why do you think I want to listen to Cryptopsy at 1 decibel?

- The word "seminal". Yeah, let's all talk about semen while we're discussing our favourite albums and movies, right? Makes total sense.

Guest David

While I was watching my DVD of a TV show called Lads Army last night, I saw the recruits and corporals bullying one of them because he wasn't fit and couldn't run very fast. If you've got to bully a weaker kid to show what a man you are, you're a lousy excuse for a man. You don't pick on a weaker kid.

While I was watching my DVD of a TV show called Lads Army last night, I saw the recruits and corporals bullying one of them because he wasn't fit and couldn't run very fast. If you've got to bully a weaker kid to show what a man you are, you're a lousy excuse for a man. You don't pick on a weaker kid.

You are pretty much marked out in Life as a w***er if you have anything to do with

A/ The Army

B/ Television.

Deserve what they get.....hope the Afghans have fun with them :)

You are pretty much marked out in Life as a w***er if you have anything to do with

A/ The Army

B/ Television.

Er..... I bet most guys in the army get more pussy (or the other thing, if they like it) than you.

A/ The Army

B/ Television.

Er..... I bet most guys in the army get more pussy (or the other thing, if they like it) than you.

They probably get more cock too...

Kitchener-Britons.jpg

• Like 1

Wasn't that the Navy?

regards,

Hein

Wasn't that the Navy?

regards,

Hein

Indeed. But Kitchener was also known for it...

Indeed. But Kitchener was also known for it...

Oh right. Wondered what you were talking about.

Trying to figure out how that's supposed to change my view of WW1 now...

Surely if Kitchener liked young men why would he send millions of them to die horrible trench-footy, lice-tastic deaths.....

History just gets more and more baffling.

So there was a commercial during the Super Bowl yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7L5QByvXOQ

Soldier comes home from the Middle East, gets a heroes welcome including a ride on the Anheuser Busch Wagon with the Clydesdales, etc.... Quite nice.

Today some military families are hating all over the commercial claiming that the American public is trying to be part of something they aren't, don't have any place to do that, blah blah. While I empathize with the reality that the US government is not exactly stepping up to the plate to deal with the PTSD and physical problems of some veterans, I would like to make something perfectly clear.

My father fought five tours of combat when you had to look in the eye of the man you shot dead. Two of those tours were in Vietnam. When he came home, he was spit on, had feces thrown on him, called a baby killer, rapist and murderer. He had been sprayed with Agent Orange. He had PTSD - there was absolutely no recognition of it then. No one in the US wanted anything to do with him or his men, most of whom were draftees, not volunteer forces. He saw his men leave the military and spiral into drug addiction and death themselves. There was no one at the Veteran's Administration to help him at all.

An entire generation of people - mine - grew up thinking the military wasn't an honorable profession because of Vietnam.

Familes today should be damn grateful that the populace of the US honor their veterans. Does Congress need to do more? Absolutely. But take that fight where it belongs and stop acting like you're offended because people want to honor your soldier.

And I also hate how this damn forum resets you back to like 2012 if you don't show up more than once a quarter. Sheesh.

A small thing, but it pisses me off when people tell me my hair's too long, too long for what exactly? It's only just past my shoulders anyway.

• Like 3

A small thing, but it pisses me off when people tell me my hair's too long, too long for what exactly? It's only just past my shoulders anyway.

Just got ''peer pressured'' into my first cut since 2012 the other week :(

Fair enough, I'm a bloke, almost 47 and it was a fucking mess , but still.........

Always had a hatred for the barbers, even as a kiddie, and its damn close call as to that chair or the dentists one I hate more.

Think I was around 20 when I started figuring out ''how many more hair cuts 'till I die'' sort of outlook.........two a year, say I make 70.....equals 100 haircuts.

By not getting it cut we prolong our lives :D

• Like 1

Just got ''peer pressured'' into my first cut since 2012 the other week :(

Fair enough, I'm a bloke, almost 47 and it was a fucking mess , but still.........

Always had a hatred for the barbers, even as a kiddie, and its damn close call as to that chair or the dentists one I hate more.

Think I was around 20 when I started figuring out ''how many more hair cuts 'till I die'' sort of outlook.........two a year, say I make 70.....equals 100 haircuts.

By not getting it cut we prolong our lives :D

Following a meeting I attended one of the other people there asked which one I was and the secretary replied accidently copying me in. He was the one you sat next to with the shaggy greying hair. Nice to know how people see you.

''Ex-secretary'' I hope...........

''Ex-secretary'' I hope...........

No she does too good a job, but now she owes me!!!

So this place is populated by long-haired hippie civil servants....

• Like 2

Nah to all three I am afraid :(

< Sorry, but I can only take you as far as... a bit of (Mercenary) Rocket Designing Contractor... with an Eco friendly left leaning bent with a tendency towards future balding unhappiness.

Long hair... FFS, time you got it cut...

Hippies... Leave them in the field to grow-up...

Civil Servants... GOOD GOD, oh no, I MARRIED ONE... WHAT WAS I THINKING.?

Oh Shit, I'm now going to put myself in room 101...

Ali, it's just a jokey reference to something I said in another thread. I think it's a bit of a running joke now. It comes from an observation I made in the Wilko Johnson thread in response to a guest having a go at DL. Have a look.

So this place is populated by long-haired hippie civil servants....

I am not a civil servant but I must admit to tendancies in the other two.

I will often get my haircut and nobody will notice and my job title is Environment & Sustainability Consultant.

I liked RA's Eco friendly left leaning bent that fits for me too.

I will often get my haircut and nobody will notice and my job title is Environment & Sustainability Consultant.

Oh, you are such a cunt.

I liked RA's Eco friendly left leaning bent that fits for me too.

Correction, you are a mega-cunt.

Whoever removed it previously, go fuck yourself you self-righteous cunt.