Sign in to follow this  
MadMac

Freddy Fender

I'd imagine he's good enough for DDP fame but not DL fame.

I'd imagine he's good enough for DDP fame but not DL fame.

He's around the same level of fame as Lou Rawls... I wouldn't be surprised whether or not he got a full-on BBC obit.

Years back I had the biggest man-crush on this guy. He just seemed so cuddly and cute (cute as a button-eye on a teddy bear) I had an album or two of his and played them endlessly late into the evening as I sipped upon my vodka and gin.

Well the point here is that on the back of one of the albums (maybe it was the Are You Ready For Freddy one) there is an image on the back cover of the record sleeve and it shows him peering out between the metal posts of a brass bed and in his hand is a cigarette. I guess he may well have had a few too many of those over the years and that has lead to the lung cancer. Sad really. A very talented gentleman and it will be a great loss to the music world when he leaves us.

I have no idea who this man is, but he's in my DDP top 20 straight out. I have the same feelings towards him as Godot does to Ross Davidson, I guess.

I was under the impression that Freddy Fender was the name behind the Fender Stratocaster guitar - but now find out it was by a Leo Fender - was he a relative? looks unlikely and Freddy is somewhat famous in his own right.

I was under the impression that Freddy Fender was the name behind the Fender Stratocaster guitar - but now find out it was by a Leo Fender - was he a relative? looks unlikely and Freddy is somewhat famous in his own right.

Actually our dear Freddy was most likely in no way related to Leo Fender. Freddy was born as Baldemar Huerta.

"He was born to a poor but romantic family who lived in San Benito, Texas, a tiny town in the Rio Grande Valley. Freddy was given the birth name of Baldemar Huerta but at various stages in his early musical development, he was known as El Be- Bop Kid (1957), Freddy Fender (1958), Eddie Medina (1961), and Scotty Wayne (1%2) before he settled on the stage name, Freddy Fender."

Thanks for the update CP. Not looking good for him. I would guess about 2 months maximum. But with so many of these new radiation therapies coming on stream it could be a bit longer (say 12 months) if he finds the right medical team. Tammy Faye looked a good bet but.... Lets have Freddy on the 2007 deathlist team (if he gets that far).

Fender to chemo: stuff it.

He's doomed. :D

Only question is, will he last 93 more days?

If so, he's surely got to be on everybody's DDP list, probably as their joker.

Fender has "days, not weeks".

If he goes on a drinking binge to ease the pain would that be a "Fender bender"?

Looks like a strong candidate for '07 if he can hang on 'til then.

Ailing Fender transferred to a different hospital. Now he's got a blod infection as well and, if you choose to believe Wikipedia, his body is rejecting his new liver as well.

You'd think at this point it'd be better for the family to get past the "denial" phase of his death and make their lives a whole lot easier when he does go by moving into the "acceptance" phase...

I agree. His chances of hanging on until 2007 do not look good :banghead:

I agree. His chances of hanging on until 2007 do not look good :banghead:

Yes, I think it would be a good idea for everyone to try and find a replacement for him.

Shouldn't be too difficult. I'm finding it difficult to limit it down to 20, too many people dying at the minute...

He just got out of the hospital but I don't think he'll last long. Just until the next teardrop falls.

He just got out of the hospital but I don't think he'll last long. Just until the next teardrop falls.

Relevant article.

The lingo the family uses sort of reminds me of Haughey's last days...

Relevant article.

The lingo the family uses sort of reminds me of Haughey's last days...

I'm hoping he'll survive the year out, I've only got him listed on the CPDP

Baldemar isn't going to die until at least the next full moon.

Fender, who has had problems with diabetes and hepatitis C, received a kidney from his daughter in 2002 and a liver transplant in 2004.

Dunno about the rest of you but there's time when the statistical probability of kidney problems, cancer and/or diabetes troubles me. Then you find someone who suffers from the damn lot and think; 'Aye well, that lowers the odds for the rest of us a l'al bit!'

Can anyone with more medical knowledge than me comment on the chances of giving the lassie her kidney back before her dad carks it?

Freddy Fender dies

Oh goody some CPDP points, shame Freddy couldn't hang on for 2007 though, I was hoping for those dead cert DDP points.

Guest stan the man

singer Freddy Fender has died at 69

Edited by football_fan

Indeed, TF, he was my joker for the 2007 DDP but my DDP woe is forgotten by taking points in both the Rotten Dead Pool & the Canadian Paul Dead Pool. :huh:

So Fender out, my secret candidate in. :)