Sign in to follow this  
morbidillo

Nervous Breakdowns- Who's Had One And How??

What about celebrity nervous breakdowns? Its tough enough when your just an average joe and you loose your marbles let alone when your a well-known celebrity..

I read here somewhere about Tony Blackburns famous public breakdown on radio. Did anyone hear the broadcast or know exactly what happened ? Was there a slow disintergration or a rapid explosion?

What other celebrities have "lost it" either privatley or publically, that is indeed if they even had it in the first place and how have they actually done it?

David Icke springs to mind. Although his seems to have been going on unchecked for too long to be merely a nervous breakdown.

American singer, Mariah Carey, had a nervous breakdown a couple years ago.

Spike Milligan, quite famously, after which he joked he was the only comedian with a certificate to say he was sane.

Vanessa Feltz's breakdown was quite a public one when she was in Celebrity Big Brother in 2001

The former England footballer, Terry Cooper had a nervous breakdown when he was the manager of Exeter City. He stopped his car at the side of the road, decided he couldn't go on anymore and waited for someone to come and rescue him.

Is he still there DDT? Haven't heard much about him recently.

Re public breakdowns Oliver McCall suffered one big style fighting Lennox Lewis in 1997.

The former England footballer, Terry Cooper had a nervous breakdown when he was the manager of Exeter City. He stopped his car at the side of the road, decided he couldn't go on anymore and waited for someone to come and rescue him.

I think I might try that one tommorow!

Do most people just grind to a halt or do they completely freak? I saw someone go off once when I was at school. This girl literally started screaming and tried climbing up the class room wall!

I trust that after about ten minutes of enjoying the spectacle somebody phoned for an ambulance. These days people normally get it on the phone camera, get help and then load the footage on YouTube.

Rocket Ronnie O'Sullivan was comin' close to a breakdown, walking away from a game with Stephen Hendry yesterday.

Hasn't exactly impressed the snooker authorities.

I was considering having one between Xmas and the New Year but I just found out my son has to have surgery that week. I'm rescheduling. Get back to you later. :rip:

The late Jeremy Brett (one of the best Sherlocks) was very cruelly sent up by the Sun because he'd dared to have a mental illness.

Definitely the BEST Sherlock there ever was, agreed.....poor man suffered from manic-depression (now called "bi-polar") - it was too sad to watch him decline after his wife passed away....his will to live died when she did....isn't that the most romantic thing ever?

Definitely the BEST Sherlock there ever was, agreed.....poor man suffered from manic-depression (now called "bi-polar") - it was too sad to watch him decline after his wife passed away....his will to live died when she did....isn't that the most romantic thing ever?

That's about as romantic as a turd that refuses to flush.

Ummm.....no. As most people with manic depression will tell you, me included, that's letting the enemy win. Nothing romantic about that - unless you consider suicide romantic. Most people don't.

Jeremy Brett was a very talented and very sick man who didn't get the care he needed to survive a vicious illness. There was nothing noble about what happened to him - it was a terrible waste of a human being.

Ummm.....no. As most people with manic depression will tell you, me included, that's letting the enemy win. Nothing romantic about that - unless you consider suicide romantic. Most people don't.

Jeremy Brett was a very talented and very sick man who didn't get the care he needed to survive a vicious illness. There was nothing noble about what happened to him - it was a terrible waste of a human being.

He refused treatment for his other health problems - that is everyone's option in life. His illness (md) did not render him incapable of making that decision. A waste? Sure - his talent was phenomenal to say the least, and I for one was looking forward to more great things from him, but it was not to be.

It was the "idea" of someone dying for love that I was referring to, since he apparently did not exhibit the signs of the disease (md) until after his wife died.

Your cynicism is again apparent, CA - yes, I think dying for love is a romantic idea, while the reality of it may not be.

Tony Slattery and Paul Merton have both had quite public breakdowns.

Tony Slattery and Paul Merton have both had quite public breakdowns.

Tony Slattery has all of the oily characteristics of Bob Monkhouse with none of the redeeming wit. If he had a breakdown my only question is: how could they tell?

That's a bigger question than you're making out there Godot. There are those - like sci-fi writer Philip K Dick - who arguably based their careers on a permanent breakdown and would have been nothing without their ongoing struggles for sanity. I used to love PKD's books until I read the definitive biography and realised he was never in line with the rest of us. What looks like insight and imagination is in some cases simple autobiography. His so called 'mainstream' novels are dodgy at best and all five of his ex-wives said he was hard work!

His so called 'mainstream' novels are dodgy at best and all five of his ex-wives said he was hard work!

My wife says that about me. :P

His so called 'mainstream' novels are dodgy at best and all five of his ex-wives said he was hard work!

My wife says that about me. :huh:

So, how are the 'mainstream' novels coming along, Godot? Or should I ask yer wife?

My wife says that about me. :huh:

So, how are the 'mainstream' novels coming along, Godot? Or should I ask yer wife?

Not mainstream enough, she says. It's about this funny little cyber world where everyone has a bizarre name and tries to predict when people are going to die. My agent says it's far fetched and ridiculous.