millwall32

Mad about Moderators

My problem has always been with the basis on which someone is made a moderator. I used to think that it was to do with the number of posts made. That was until I saw recently a newly-made mod with only 53 posts. How is it decided that someone is moderator material?

Aside from that I don't think I would vote to strip them of their powers. On the whole they moderate/edit/delete in an appropriate way. I say that as someone who has hed a few disagreements with them in the past.

My problem has always been with the basis on which someone is made a moderator. I used to think that it was to do with the number of posts made. That was until I saw recently a newly-made mod with only 53 posts. How is it decided that someone is moderator material?

Aside from that I don't think I would vote to strip them of their powers. On the whole they moderate/edit/delete in an appropriate way. I say that as someone who has hed a few disagreements with them in the past.

Millwall's right, the mod appointment system is a bit random (and it has nothing to do with quantity of posts. If anything, it's about the quality of the posts and the presumed quality of the person making them). In theory nominations should be made according to the candidate's likely ability to do what the name suggests - act as a moderator for the DL website. This means deleting spam and on rare occasions posts or threads if they are particularly unsavoury (like stating where Ma><ine Carr lives), and generally keeping an eye on the site to make sure everything's working and our members are having a wildly fabulous time.

There was some discussion a few months back about adding some new moderators, but as I recall the notion pretty much died on the vine. To be honest, I'm not too sure who all the mods are, how (in computer terms) one is given moderator power, or if everyone who's a mod should be. My guess is the current crop will remain until some incredibly good reason to make any changes comes along.

My guess is the current crop will remain until some incredibly good reason to make any changes comes along.

What reason other than my demands do you possibly need?

Perhaps the title of this thread should now be changed, as the Moderaters no longer exist and the discussion has moved over to the role and selection of the Moderators.

Look at me trying to stay on topic!

Erm...

I thought it was interesting that IYG was a moderator that got banned, then was reinstated with a new account straight away as a moderator again, posted from about 3 different logins (and guest names) with each one claiming to be the real Spartacus IYG. And, none of them claimed they would be back for any length of time, so how was that decision made?

I don't really want an answer, I was just trying to stay on topic.

2007, vote TLC for Moderator! :D

Perhaps the title of this thread should now be changed, as the Moderaters no longer exist and the discussion has moved over to the role and selection of the Moderators.

Erm...

I thought it was interesting that IYG was a moderator that got banned, then was reinstated with a new account straight away as a moderator again, posted from about 3 different logins (and guest names) with each one claiming to be the real Spartacus IYG. And, none of them claimed they would be back for any length of time, so how was that decision made?

You didn't really want an answer, but an answer you shall have...

We should close this thread, which was about the Moderaters, and open a fresh one about the Moderators, if neccessary.

It has long irked me that some of you think I tried to strip the Moderators of their powers (and I know that some of you conniving little sh*ts members tried to make it seem that way, didn't you?) with this thread. That was clearly not the case.

Close this thread, and open another one if you all want to have a bitch about the real Moderators, with whom I have no beef.

I recommend that the split happen here, on page 5, where millwall32 resurrected the wrong end of the stick about the intentions of this thread, possibly opening discussions about the proper Mods.

Erm...

We should close this thread, which was about the Moderaters, and open a fresh one about the Moderators, if neccessary.

It has long irked me that some of you think I tried to strip the Moderators of their powers (and I know that some of you conniving little sh*ts members tried to make it seem that way, didn't you?) with this thread. That was clearly not the case.

Close this thread, and open another one if you all want to have a bitch about the real Moderators, with whom I have no beef.

I recommend that the split happen here, on page 5, where millwall32 resurrected the wrong end of the stick about the intentions of this thread, possibly opening discussions about the proper Mods.

Sorry SC. Just read your first post on this thread and now have a clearer idea on where you are coming from.Maybe I should state my position in order to keep the thread on task. I personally would not "strip the moderators of their meagre powers". I think that, on the whole, they do a useful and non-contentious job.

My interest is more on how and why certain people are selected for the task. My interest was particularly excited, as I said a few posts back, by the individual who was made a moderator and who has (to date) only made 53 posts under their (current?) name.

... a moderator and who has (to date) only made 53 posts under their (current?) name.

Whatever happened to Captain Scarlet?

... a moderator and who has (to date) only made 53 posts under their (current?) name.

Whatever happened to Captain Scarlet?

Why do you ask?

Yep, I made a bit of a mess of that, my 'logic' came up with the cunning plan of changing the name of a topic to suit the deviation rather than starting a new one by splitting the current one...

At least I realised the Moderator/Moderater difference I suppose, do I get some points for that? And as the whole raison d'etre of this topic has been resolved, I agree that this thread should indeed get locked as soon as a new 'moderator' topic has been set up, if one is required.

It has long irked me that I tried to strip the Moderators of their powers and I know that some of you conniving little sh*ts members.

I recommend the wrong end of the stick about the intentions of this thread, possibly opening discussions about the proper Mods.

Clearly you have a beef StarTossed....Even dead people can see that........as can I.......

Although I'm not fond of Backseat Moderation, I've split this topic from the Moderaters topic, and closed the latter one as suggested by SC.

regards,

Hein

Although I'm not fond of Backseat Moderation, I've split this topic from the Moderaters topic, and closed the latter one as suggested by SC.

regards,

Hein

Now we're all going to suffer....this sort of respect will go to Starry's head......we'll not hear the end of it, you mark my woids.

regards,

Hein

I really don't mind your doing that MH, despite the fact that I am definetly not mad (in the positive or negative sense) about mods.

So can anyone tell me- what are the criteria for selecting moderators?

I don't want to criticise, I would just like to know.

regards,

Hein

I really don't mind your doing that MH, despite the fact that I am definetly not mad (in the positive or negative sense) about mods.

I have it on good authority that at the DeathList Annual Gathering, the names of members are scattered on seperate bits of paper across the floor. A bull (or a sheep in bad years) then has it's throat slit and whichever member's name the blood splatters on will then be put forward for the position of moderator. :P

I have it on good authority that at the DeathList Annual Gathering, the names of members are scattered on seperate bits of paper across the floor. A bull (or a sheep in bad years) then has it's throat slit and whichever member's name the blood splatters on will then be put forward for the position of moderator. :P

Oh goody! I have a chance at becoming the new anihilator.

Damn, if only we'd asked Ken Bigley's kidknappers to help us, we could have had a double-whammy...

Could I suggest that any future moderator selection is made against this useful template.

Fess up, who spilled the beans?

regards,

Hein

I have it on good authority that at the DeathList Annual Gathering, the names of members are scattered on seperate bits of paper across the floor. A bull (or a sheep in bad years) then has it's throat slit and whichever member's name the blood splatters on will then be put forward for the position of moderator. -_-

Fess up, who spilled the beans?

regards,

Hein

OK, let me refine the question. Who selects those made into deathlist moderators?

My guess is the current crop will remain until some incredibly good reason to make any changes comes along.

What reason other than my demands do you possibly need?

Bruno, I enjoyed that comment, simply brilliant!

If a moderators are selected from the general membership based on the quality of their posts then how has anyone made it at all?

You have to admit the forums have been very sh*t for a very long time. :banghead:

If a moderators are selected from the general membership based on the quality of their posts then how has anyone made it at all?

You have to admit the forums have been very sh*t for a very long time. :banghead:

...........and yet you keep coming back here......

People, people, people. Money makes the world go around, does it not?

I myself made sure that Grim Reaper received his "consideration" early on in the life of the DL. A good move it would seem, as the the price does seem to have become somewhat inflated with more recent promotions.

HTH

DWB :banghead:

People, people, people. Money makes the world go around, does it not?

I myself made sure that Grim Reaper received his "consideration" early on in the life of the DL. A good move it would seem, as the the price does seem to have become somewhat inflated with more recent promotions.

HTH

DWB :banghead:

Don't talk about it, Adminship is even worse, nowadays. Did you also have to deposit a little brown bag with unmarked 5 pound notes, at 11:15am in the left men's toilet in the White Horse at Parson's Green?

regards,

Hein