Magere Hein

Ideas and possibilities for 2008

Re Willie Nelson; he's booked tour wise up to May 13th in London

Doesn't mean anything - Gene Pitney was on midway through a tour when something got a hold of his heart, and Les Rita Mitsouko cancelled dates just days before mainman Fred Chinchin died. But yeah, Nelson seems in pretty good nick.

Take yer point VT but the post above suggested some advance warning of Nelson's demise and it - kind of - got my juices flowing. What strikes me is that insuring a big tour is impossible if the star is already known to be in serious health danger. Willie's dates are still on as far as I can see.

Anyone - like the person tipping him - want to show us some evidence for this hunch?

I think it's called a hunch for a reason. No evidence... just a feeling...

Had the same kind of feeling about Dutch author Jan Wolkers.... and look where he is now... pushing up daisies.

Someone's tipped Bob Seger for 2008, that he's got some sort of cancer, but I can't find anything on the web to back this up. Anyone heard anything about this?

Someone's tipped Bob Seger for 2008, that he's got some sort of cancer, but I can't find anything on the web to back this up. Anyone heard anything about this?

I have not seen any report of this on any of the main news sources. I did see a mention of it here, but in the same story Bob Seger denies having cancer.

I am quite literally, in a very real sense, unable to contain my excitement at the prospect of seeing the 2008 list. I firmly believe there will be no place for Roddy Piper.

Professor Colin Pillinger - you know, the bloke who developed "Beagle 2", the little Mars probe/buggy thing that never actually made it to Mars (or if it did, in basic component form only) - has Multiple Sclerosis. Now, as has been said many times on this forum before, MS is not an instant death sentence, but I post the article here for your information. Colin himself says "I've been diagnosed as having primary progressive MS, which means that there's likely to be a steady decline." He has had trouble walking for the past two years - now this press release is dated July 2005 so I can only assume things are the same if not worse for the unfortunate Professor.

DWB :unsure:

Professor Colin Pillinger - you know, the bloke who developed "Beagle 2", the little Mars probe/buggy thing that never actually made it to Mars (or if it did, in basic component form only) - has Multiple Sclerosis. Now, as has been said many times on this forum before, MS is not an instant death sentence, but I post the article here for your information. Colin himself says "I've been diagnosed as having primary progressive MS, which means that there's likely to be a steady decline." He has had trouble walking for the past two years - now this press release is dated July 2005 so I can only assume things are the same if not worse for the unfortunate Professor.

DWB :unsure:

judging by the success of the Beagle should we conclude Prof Pilinger's MS was already well set in during the project's development?

Norman Wisdom has to be in with a shout for 2008 - he was described on Teletext yesterday as "ailing"...

I suggested Betty Ford for 2007 and even though it seems she will live to see the new year (although you never know, her husband died in one the last few days of 2006!) she should be on the 2008 list. She has not been seen in public since her husband's funeral a year ago, was hospitalized for an unknown ailment in April and was absent from every presidential event whether it be related to her husband (aircraft carrier naming, commemorative postage stamp unveiling) or being the only absent former first lady at Lady Bird Johnson's funeral. She will turn 90 in 2008 and is already the third longest living first lady in history after Bess Truman and Lady Bird Johnson. She should also be kept on so we have at least one member of a former first family (US President or First Lady), a tradition here at death list as far back as before Richard Nixon's death in 1994. My point is that I strongly believe that Betty Ford will die before any other president or first lady.

I don't see any other former president or first lady dying in 2008; Nancy Reagan is 86 but still very active and seemingly healthy; George H.W. Bush is 83 and sky-dived just a month ago and I don't think he will die while his son is still president so I predict we will have the first father and son pair of ex-president's come January 20, 2009.

Betty Ford has to be a good bet. She's already a high profile deadpool pick and I'm guessing she'll get more popular in 2008. I'll cop for having sent her name with 19 others for the DDP yesterday. Missed her off the HPDP simply because I think she's an easy death to call but a hard one to call in a likely sequence with others.

Norman Wisdom has to be in with a shout for 2008 - he was described on Teletext yesterday as "ailing"...

Full news story here about his appearance in a short movie.

I read an interview regarding it and it was said that Sir Norman wasn't given any long lines to learn from the script as he had difficulty remembering any lines at all.

Betty Ford has to be a good bet. She's already a high profile deadpool pick and I'm guessing she'll get more popular in 2008. I'll cop for having sent her name with 19 others for the DDP yesterday. Missed her off the HPDP simply because I think she's an easy death to call but a hard one to call in a likely sequence with others.

Put her on the HDP, perhaps because she was one of the best candidates from among the dream deaths. Left her off the DDP because she'll likely be a nonagenarian by the time she goes, and the risk isn't worth the points given the caliber of other candidates.

I'll miss this thread... I've made 150 posts in it this year ;)