Windsor

Derby Dead Pool 2007

Uk obit for Bruce Bennett

Guest TheUnknownMan

As canadian paul said, Ernest Gallo is dead.

congratulations to the following teams who selected him:

2 Days Older Than Grass

Banshees Scream

Checking Out By Christmas

Crusty Corpses

Dead Druids' Society

Better Off Dead

Deathlist.net

Finbarr Returns From The Dead (Again & Again)

Fly Me To The Moon

Heaven 17 (+3)

International House of Death

Rosebud! Zzzzzzz

The Morbid Postman

The Old G1ts

The Pale Horseman's Soft Shoe Mortal Coil Shufflers

The Time Is Nigh

Warren502

Wayne's Done And Dusted

Tammy Faye Messer is next, or maybe fidel castro. :birthday2:

Ernest Gallo now has a BBC obit

According to The Guardian, Gabriel Garcia Marquez has turned 80. But according to DDP and Wikipedia, he's 79...

Can anyone confirm one way or another what is age is?

Thanks

:lol:

According to The Guardian, Gabriel Garcia Marquez has turned 80. But according to DDP and Wikipedia, he's 79...

Thanks

:lol:

When I conducted my in-depth research in order to write his bio on the HDP, various sources cited his date of birth as March 6th 1928, which would have him turning 80 in 2008.

Thanks

:D

When I conducted my in-depth research in order to write his bio on the HDP, various sources cited his date of birth as March 6th 1928, which would have him turning 80 in 2008.

So basically, the Guardian have got it wrong..... :lol:

Thanks

:D

So basically, the Guardian have got it wrong..... :lol:

Far be it from me to criticise the Guardian, but this source, this source, and this source - to hyperlink but a few - seem quite convinced that he was born in 1928.

Edit: Stop press! According to the last of the three sources:

Gabriel José García Márquez was born on March 6, 1928 in Aracataca, although his father contends that it was really 1927.

So who knows. Given that he was thought dead not so long ago, he probably figures a year here-or-there is less than pressing. However (and assumedly why you raise the question in the first place), from a DDP point of view there is a potentially crucial 1 point's difference between the two contentious dates, should he wander into the beyond this year.

Edited by in eternum+

This could be a tax-dodging ruse,which is more common than you may think. My Grandfather was 3 weeks 'older' than his stated date of birth, as this carried his birthdate over into the next financial year, giving my great-grandfather an extra 49 weeks of tax relief. Apparently.

my friend, who has just turned 30, has his age registered with DVLA as 31.

when he was 20 he was planning a trip to the states, and as he knew alcohol was out of the question being under age, he wrote a cheeky letter to the DVLA simply saying they had got the date wrong on his driving licence and he was actually 21.

they sent him a new driving licence - no questions asked - and to this day he's still a year older on lots of forms of ID. he says he doesnt really know how to go about changing it, he cant really tell them what he did 9 years ago or he might get shot by the DVLA police or something.

rm.

Guest -TheUnknownMan-

As Canadian paul posted, Cruz Hernández is dead. wich means 3 points for A Bird In The Hand Is Worth At Least Three Points This Year and The Long-Awaited Return of the Dorset Jury.

As Canadian paul posted, Cruz Hernández is dead. wich means 3 points for A Bird In The Hand Is Worth At Least Three Points This Year and The Long-Awaited Return of the Dorset Jury.

Firstly, is there a UK Obit?

Secondly, shouldn's she lose a point as she was a decade older than mere youngsters del Toro & Bertrand?

Guest -TheUnknownMan-

Firstly, is there a UK Obit?

Secondly, shouldn's she lose a point as she was a decade older than mere youngsters del Toro & Bertrand?

I'll let you know if i find a BBC Obit for her.

Aside from the latest update, some good news for challengers for the DDP title.

No Noose is Good Noose's hopes of the title are ruined.

Carlos Granados, who got a UK "obit" in January? Well, his link is now dead. This was the only UK obit Granados got, so now it's a dead link and NNIGN failed to submit it, then no points. Same for the other fellow.

Meanwhile 3 more of the team have since been executed, with no UK obits. So, it doesn't look like the whitewash some feared will actually happen.

Bad luck to R I P It Up & Start Again as one of their team is long dead - although they still stand a good chance of winning.

Looks like being a much closer battle this year between a number of teams, which, I think, was the whole idea.

Hopefully now NNIGN is not going to win, maybe Tempus will stop his sulking? :crossbone:

Aside from the latest update, some good news for challengers for the DDP title.

No Noose is Good Noose's hopes of the title are ruined.

Carlos Granados, who got a UK "obit" in January? Well, his link is now dead. This was the only UK obit Granados got, so now it's a dead link and NNIGN failed to submit it, then no points. Same for the other fellow.

Meanwhile 3 more of the team have since been executed, with no UK obits. So, it doesn't look like the whitewash some feared will actually happen.

Bad luck to R I P It Up & Start Again as one of their team is long dead - although they still stand a good chance of winning.

Looks like being a much closer battle this year between a number of teams, which, I think, was the whole idea.

Hopefully now NNIGN is not going to win, maybe Tempus will stop his sulking? :crossbone:

If only someone would come up with an obit for John Smyth, I'd be up to joint 72nd!!

I'm going to have to dig around (as it were) newspaper copies in libraries...yes it's getting desperate!

Well done OoO for filling in the gaps in the DDP with biogs and so forth...sterling work!

If only someone would come up with an obit for John Smyth, I'd be up to joint 72nd!!

I'm going to have to dig around (as it were) newspaper copies in libraries...yes it's getting desperate!

I still expect this might still happen in a "Deaths in Brief".

I'm not sure if it's worth trawling through the papers as most of them are online now, so if nothing's appeared online it'll be unlikely that it'll be in print. :crossbone:

The obit rules are there for a reason.

If you are going to all this length to get one, what does that tell you?

MIB, the lack of an obit is nowt but a lesson in the harsh realities of picking cultish long-shots, been learnin' them self-same lessons with my hopelessly ambitious CPDP line up, two dead, nobody saw fit to inform the world.

Got me thinking mind, an interesting 2008 deadpool might involve trying to pick 10 who get reported deaths and NO BBC or broadsheet obits. That'd open the floodgates for people to nominate local gangsters, other potential stab targets or simply the likes of my gal Wendy Ainscow.

You'd score 5 points per reported death plus another 10 if the dead 'un culled no obits from the respectable sources, or summat.

MIB, the lack of an obit is nowt but a lesson in the harsh realities of picking cultish long-shots, been learnin' them self-same lessons with my hopelessly ambitious CPDP line up, two dead, nobody saw fit to inform the world.

Got me thinking mind, an interesting 2008 deadpool might involve trying to pick 10 who get reported deaths and NO BBC or broadsheet obits. That'd open the floodgates for people to nominate local gangsters, other potential stab targets or simply the likes of my gal Wendy Ainscow.

You'd score 5 points per reported death plus another 10 if the dead 'un culled no obits from the respectable sources, or summat.

Good point Maryport. I mean I was right: I picked him for my DDP and he died. It's verifiable.

I think I was being too clever my own good. I just caught a remark by Willie Thorne during commentary during the UK Championship and thought that he'd get an obit no probs...But who gets reported or gets an obit is down to the whims of obit writers..

Bonus points for proper BBC/Broadsheet obits and some points for an actual hit, wherever it's reported... :)

Rude Kid -

Not sure if you check this thread but with regard to David Burke, I did email you as requested but it would appear that perhaps you did not receive it.

In case you didn't, this is the David Burke on my team.

DOB: 25th May 1934

POB: Liverpool, England

Likelihood he's still alive: quite high

Likelihood of getting a UK obit: extremely high

Rude Kid -

Not sure if you check this thread but with regard to David Burke, I did email you as requested but it would appear that perhaps you did not receive it.

Funnily enough I saw that while scanning the celebs in DDP earlier tonight.

I recognised the name straight way..

He played Dr Watson in 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' in 1984 with the incomparable Jeremy Brett...

:)

Rude Kid -

He played Dr Watson in 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' in 1984 with the incomparable Jeremy Brett...

Thank you.

I was just scanning the DDP site and noticed, for the first time, the inane analysis section. I was devastated to see that my team was not named in the "theme teams" section. Apparently "in eternum+'s wrinkly dicks" - a team consisting entirely of people who played TV/film detectives and/or who wrote murder mystery novels - is too "subtle". :)

Rude Kid -

Thank you.

I was just scanning the DDP site and noticed, for the first time, the inane analysis section. I was devastated to see that my team was not named in the "theme teams" section. Apparently "in eternum+'s wrinkly dicks" - a team consisting entirely of people who played TV/film detectives and/or who wrote murder mystery novels - is too "subtle". :)

DDP might have had a better idea if like last year, we added a breif description of the DDP candidates.

But I suppose because the expected numbers, it wasn't possible.

I'm going to have a look at your team and guess the 'tecs..