Death in Pixie Boots

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Poor Al. Still chugging along even though people have stopped reading his books. I propose that in order to speed up his heart rate (and hence his timely demise) we all purchase a carton of his novels.

Hey! I read one of his books only last year (The Gulag Archipelago). I think that having survived what he has, he won't go easily... as we say back at home "he will probably bury us all" :sicktherm:

Guest Guest
Hey! I read one of his books only last year (The Gulag Archipelago). I think that having survived what he has, he won't go easily... as we say back at home "he will probably bury us all" :sicktherm:

There is such a thing as font protocol around these parts, you know.

Posts like yours could see this forum descend into anarchy.

I quite like it. It's like a regional accent. Perhaps all our Scottish/American/Australian/Cuban contributors could all establish their own font-brogues.

There is such a thing as font protocol around these parts, you know.

Guest Arisma

It's really strange for me to see this man on here. As a sophomore taking Russian II I had the opportunity to meet with and talk with him during a local celebration. He was very kind, intelligent, funny enough to make me not nervous. I, for one, will be really sad when he does pass.

It's really strange for me to see this man on here. As a sophomore taking Russian II I had the opportunity to meet with and talk with him during a local celebration. He was very kind, intelligent, funny enough to make me not nervous. I, for one, will be really sad when he does pass.

Russian II? [meldrew]I don't believe it![/meldrew] I'd just got the hang of ordinary Russian, and now you're telling me they've updated it? I hope it's not like 'Poltergeist II', in which the whole premise of the plot just seemed passé in comparison with the original.

btw, Arisma, he's not on the list because we want him dead; he's on the list because it's deemed likely that he'll die this year. Also, when did you meet him? Was it recently? How was his health?

Guest Arisma
Russian II? [meldrew]I don't believe it![/meldrew] I'd just got the hang of ordinary Russian, and now you're telling me they've updated it? I hope it's not like 'Poltergeist II', in which the whole premise of the plot just seemed passé in comparison with the original.

btw, Arisma, he's not on the list because we want him dead; he's on the list because it's deemed likely that he'll die this year. Also, when did you meet him? Was it recently? How was his health?

I was taking the second year Russian language course, referred to in this area as Russian II. Do they call it different things elsewhere?

I know you weren't wishing him dead, I do get the concept of the site, I promise. :rolleyes:

I met him in, I think, 1993. I grew up in Cavendish, Vermont, and he lived there too. When the town was holding some big celebration he came into town and gave a little speech and hung out in the general store across the street from my parents house. Growing up in town I always vaguely knew who he was, he had a very real presence around. I had friends that lived on the same road he did, which was dirt, by the way. Driving out to their places there would be huge stretches of fenced in property and eventually a gate with a security call box. Members of my family were friends with his son Ignat, who went to the same school as I did but a couple years earlier. In all honesty, I didn't realize he was a "big deal" outside of this tiny town until about a year ago.

I was taking the second year Russian language course, referred to in this area as Russian II. Do they call it different things elsewhere?

I know you weren't wishing him dead, I do get the concept of the site, I promise. :rolleyes:

I met him in, I think, 1993. I grew up in Cavendish, Vermont, and he lived there too. When the town was holding some big celebration he came into town and gave a little speech and hung out in the general store across the street from my parents house. Growing up in town I always vaguely knew who he was, he had a very real presence around. I had friends that lived on the same road he did, which was dirt, by the way. Driving out to their places there would be huge stretches of fenced in property and eventually a gate with a security call box. Members of my family were friends with his son Ignat, who went to the same school as I did but a couple years earlier. In all honesty, I didn't realize he was a "big deal" outside of this tiny town until about a year ago.

Russian II - The Next Generation

Guest VAR

Solzhenitsyn have published an article about an attempts of Ukrainian nationalists to claim Holodomor was a genocide (in fact it wasn't). Although he is no longer a public person he remains in a Russian public life. And this, you know, is one of the longevity secrets - you don't like to die if you feel you're not alone and your thoughts are interesting for others.

Speaking about his books (although there're at least three generations of people who knows nothing about him as an author)... Well, first of all it's a fiction and it's a political fiction. Solzhenitsyn's conditions in Gulag would be better or worse then he described it (and we should take into account that he served his term in late 40s when the death rate in Gulag was at its minimum). We don't know exactly how it was and how it affected his phisical condition although it's clear that people don't get healthier after hard labor. What is also clear is that his active life position is prolonging his years. He is an ethernal dissident :flame:

Solzhenitsyn have published an article about an attempts of Ukrainian nationalists to claim Holodomor was a genocide (in fact it wasn't). Although he is no longer a public person he remains in a Russian public life. And this, you know, is one of the longevity secrets - you don't like to die if you feel you're not alone and your thoughts are interesting for others.

Speaking about his books (although there're at least three generations of people who knows nothing about him as an author)... Well, first of all it's a fiction and it's a political fiction. Solzhenitsyn's conditions in Gulag would be better or worse then he described it (and we should take into account that he served his term in late 40s when the death rate in Gulag was at its minimum). We don't know exactly how it was and how it affected his phisical condition although it's clear that people don't get healthier after hard labor. What is also clear is that his active life position is prolonging his years. He is an ethernal dissident :banghead:

Greetings VAR, I see your posting from the Kremlin, do you have any updates on his health?

Alexander Solzhenitsyn, is working feverishly to complete his collected works and is writing every day despite failing health, a missing vertebra and being unable to walk, his wife, Natalia, revealed yesterday.

Solzhenitsyn battles illness to complete final volumes

Guest VAR
I see your posting from the Kremlin

I appreciate your irony but should notice that sometimes your opinion could be the same as an official one. If this never happens - you're an ethernal dissident :banghead: Like Solzhenitsyn.

Do you have any updates on his health?

It was announced last summer that he had to skip an official ceremony (he was granted some state's decoration) because of extremely poor health condition. Inspite of his age it made a sort of confidency that he is correctly placed in the upper part of DeathList. But as we can see now he resumed his public life with some publications. (And not undisputed ones as it was an outcry with Ukrainian nationalists when Solzhenitsyn claimed Holodomor was not a genocide but part of wider famine provoked by Soviet officials and that splitting its victims by ethnicity is immoral. Solzhenitsyn is known as a fierce criticist of Soviet regime so this was a stroke for them). As Solzhenitsyn would like to speake his mind and to have polemics with his opponents it seems he is not going to die. The only strange thing is his former refusal of the official ceremony but I wouldn't say it was really because of his phisical problems. In 90s he claimed that he would take no decorations from the regime . It's unlikely his opinion strongly changed since that time, but because of changing the regime itself he decided that in present terms it would be better to invent "diplomatic illness" for not to present on the ceremony but either to take the decoration for to go on speaking his mind in central media. Thus his health condition is much better then he presented it officially.

Guest Leo Tolstoy
I see your posting from the Kremlin

I appreciate your irony but should notice that sometimes your opinion could be the same as an official one. If this never happens - you're an ethernal dissident :banghead: Like Solzhenitsyn.

Do you have any updates on his health?

It was announced last summer that he had to skip an official ceremony (he was granted some state's decoration) because of extremely poor health condition. Inspite of his age it made a sort of confidency that he is correctly placed in the upper part of DeathList. But as we can see now he resumed his public life with some publications. (And not undisputed ones as it was an outcry with Ukrainian nationalists when Solzhenitsyn claimed Holodomor was not a genocide but part of wider famine provoked by Soviet officials and that splitting its victims by ethnicity is immoral. Solzhenitsyn is known as a fierce criticist of Soviet regime so this was a stroke for them). As Solzhenitsyn would like to speake his mind and to have polemics with his opponents it seems he is not going to die. The only strange thing is his former refusal of the official ceremony but I wouldn't say it was really because of his phisical problems. In 90s he claimed that he would take no decorations from the regime . It's unlikely his opinion strongly changed since that time, but because of changing the regime itself he decided that in present terms it would be better to invent "diplomatic illness" for not to present on the ceremony but either to take the decoration for to go on speaking his mind in central media. Thus his health condition is much better then he presented it officially.

Mr. Solzhenitsyn has seriously ill. According many sources, Mr. Solzhenitsyn must die next days or weeks. I like in particular the novels "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" and "Gulag Archipelago".

Guest Guest
According many sources, Mr. Solzhenitsyn must die

Yeah, I know many sources of that sort: Communists, Liberals, KGB-related officials and so on - all of them share this opinion.

... die next days or weeks

It reminds an old anecdote about oil reserves:

"We should change our energy policy, oil production will last for 15 years only." An old expert replies: "It would last for 15 years only for all the years of my career".

Guest VAR

It was me

Guest Leo Tolstoy
It was me

But Mr. Var, I have a real admiration for the life and the literary career of Mr. Solzhenistyn. I only guess the life of this eminent Russian writer is finishing. The weak health of Mr. Solzhenitsyn is evident.

Guest VAR
It was me

But Mr. Var, I have a real admiration for the life and the literary career of Mr. Solzhenistyn.

After 89 it's the right time to think about literary career...

I only guess the life of this eminent Russian writer is finishing.

The question is will it be "in time" or not. And this is the essential question for DeathList :banghead:

No link as yet, but radio reports are saying he's died today...

Stop press! "Monsters and Critics" get the prize for the first link

No link as yet, but radio reports are saying he's died today...

Stop press! "Monsters and Critics" get the prize for the first link

Yes, he's gone to the great salt mine in the sky

It's on the BBC now, not as a news story, just a "more later" scroll

Congrats to all those who picked this guy.

You guys are on a roll this year.

Wow, the DL front page has been updated already.

We never sleep.

Guest Guest

a great man passed away...

Guest Not so sure about that
a great man passed away...

I'm not so sure a great man has passed, he was a reactionary, an anti-Semite who believed in "Russia for the Russians" and he didn't treat his first couple of wives very well, however he did differ from Banshees Scream in that he was a great writer whose work demands our respect.

(That's Mono down another tenner :rip: )