Sign in to follow this  
Death Star

Bill Deedes

This thread is the place to discuss Bill Deedes.

• Like 2

Guest Four Donkeys of the Apocolypse

Conceited prat who thinks he is part of the establishment. Overtired and emotional scribbler of the mediocre kind. Will be remembered by....overtired and emotional journos.......but not for long.

Have read the Four Donkeys assessment several times and have tried to think why I disagree with his acerbic comments................... but I can't. Have read many of his articles over the years; they are rather dull.

Oops, not very good grammar! In my defence your honour, if I had meant to criticise the Four Donkeys I would have written ‘Have read many of their articles over the years; they are rather dull.'

And they are not.

Guest jimmybob

I think you are dull prats! W.F.Deedes writes many witty and interesting articles. Do not mock this man - he's fought in World War II, been a Cabinet Minister and edited a national newspaper!

So... a cross between Clive Dunn, Janet Street-Porter and Geoffrey Howe...and we aren't allowed to mock.

Rissoles Sir, Rissoles!

So... a cross between Clive Dunn, Janet Street-Porter and Geoffrey Howe
:lol:

Things are looking up (or down depending on your point of view) as Bill has had to cancel an engagement due to illness:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...1510172,00.html

As links have been known to die after a while, the bare bones of the story are as follows: He was meant to give a reading at a literary festival at Althorp but -

Earl Spencer, a bestselling author himself thanks to his history book Blenheim: Battle for Europe, was also among the featured speakers. He was called on to give his talk twice when Bill Deedes, a former editor of the Daily Telegraph, was forced to cancel because of illness.

This piece was dated June 20 2005 - hope for the DL.

DWB :old:

Things are looking up (or down depending on your point of view) as Bill has had to cancel an engagement due to illness:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,...1510172,00.html

As links have been known to die after a while, the bare bones of the story are as follows: He was meant to give a reading at a literary festival at Althorp but -

Earl Spencer, a bestselling author himself thanks to his history book Blenheim: Battle for Europe, was also among the featured speakers. He was called on to give his talk twice when Bill Deedes, a former editor of the Daily Telegraph, was forced to cancel because of illness.

This piece was dated June 20 2005 - hope for the DL.

DWB :dead:

You can take that smile off DWB "He hasen't died yet"

It's been 20 days since this illness and no news of death.

Perhaps he recovered. :referee:

Guest iain

I have info that the former newspaper editor and cabinet minister (and best friend of the late Dennis Thatcher) Lord Bill Deedes is tonight said to be 'fading away' and is very close to death and his demise may be announced any day now.So watch this space!

I have not been able to find any confirmation of this. Can you post a link to your news source?

Regards,

ff

I found this tribute to Ted Heath by Bill Deedes:

In his Daily Telegraph tribute, veteran scribe Bill Deedes refers to Heath's famous shyness/diffidence - call it what you will - describing him as "a man of countless kindnesses who would ignore his neighbour at (a dinner) table".

The quote came from here: http://www.megastar.co.uk/world/news/2005/...TY4MTM3ODg.html

DWB :huh:

Guest Guest

there will be confirmation when he dies

I have info that the former newspaper editor and cabinet minister (and best friend of the late Dennis Thatcher) Lord Bill Deedes is tonight said to be 'fading away' and is very close to death and his demise may be announced any day now.So watch this space!

Two things:

1) This sounds like the Ted Heath announcement with only the names changed.

2) I'm watching the space and nothings happening.

Some of us have been watching this space since July 18th when 'Iain' posted the above. In this time the said space fell to 50th place in this esteemed list and BD continued to breathe, albeit probably in a laboured fashion.

Anyone know how he's doing now?

Two things:

1) This sounds like the Ted Heath announcement with only the names changed.

2) I'm watching the space and nothings happening.

Agreed Windsor - It was a day back in July when they said Ted Heath

was fading quickly. Very shortly after, or even that day he did

croak.

Same thing with president Reagon..

It's hard to say how true this hinting message

could really be. Well it saids July 18 and now

it is what? November 15?

It's a complete hoax. ;)

It's hard to say how true this hinting message

could really be. Well it saids July 18 and now

it is what? November 15?

It's a complete hoax.

Or the man's resiliance is greater than Ted and Ronnie. Either way, he's old, infirm and likely to go sometime in the not too distant future.

Being a Canadian, I had no idea who this guy was, so I looked him up on google. Wikipedia comes up first, DL comes up second.

Does that speak lowly of Mr. Deedes or highly of DL? :lol:

Being a Canadian, I had no idea who this guy was, so I looked him up on google. Wikipedia comes up first, DL comes up second.

Does that speak lowly of Mr. Deedes or highly of DL?  :lol:

Bill deedes is a giant of British journalism,

so it speaks very highly of DeathtList.

The lead character in Evelyn Waughs novel "Scoop" is based on Bill Deedes.

Doing a bit of online research, he seems very underappreciated on this side of the pond. Then again I'm sure you've all never heard much about a lot of American media giants (nor should you care to).

What are we thinking of for next year? He'll be 93, supposedly frail and he lost his wife over a year ago. I'm trying to stir up some discussion in a lot of threads to see what we're all thinking.

If, for nothing else, than morbid curiosity. :lol:

Does that speak lowly of Mr. Deedes or highly of DL?  :P

It would be a huge Deed if he would croak in the

next few weeks. :lol: