Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

Oh my squidness it's nearly ready!!!

The next step is restoring the now-deflated 495kg, 4.2m-long colossal squid to her former glory by inserting implants into the mantle.

What are they going to call this squid? Dolly Parton?

Whale beak! Squid preditors!

I thought whale beak was Vanessa Feltz in tight pants. :unsure:

How stuff works: Squid.

An award-winning short animation called, you guessed it; Squi... erm, Oktapodi.

Edit- Entry 19 JUN 2008, the life of a squid pirate. Unfortunately three months shy of international talk like a pirate day.

I'm guessing embedding is not allowed around these parts? Not the I have the foggiest idea how to embed, I tried following instructions, which is never a good idea and leads to my unmodified post...

<embed src="http://blip.tv/play/Ab2RG42HFQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="720" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

I've been slipping. :rolleyes:

Chinese Squid Balls

2 lb (0.907 kg) squid, cut into rings

1/2 lb (0.226 kg) cooked shrimp

4 cloves garlic, chopped

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup (49.683 g) water chestnuts, chopped

1 cup (0.236 l) Chicken stock

1 tb (1.040 Tablespoon [uK]; 0.985 Tablespoon [metric]) ginger, grated

6 tb (6.245 Tablespoon [uK]; 5.914 Tablespoon [metric]) peanut oil

Poach squid rings and tentacles in boiling water for 30 seconds (0.000024801587302 fortnight). Drain and set aside to cool. Saute garlic in frying pan over low heat in 1 Tb (1.040 Tablespoon [uK]; 0.985 Tablespoon [metric]) of oil until lightly browned. Combine squid, garlic, the egg yolk and the rest of the dry ingredients in a food processor. add 1 or 2 Tbs (1.040 Tablespoon [uK]; 0.985 Tablespoon [metric] or 2.081 Tablespoon [uK]; 1.971 Tablespoon [metric]) of oil as you go. Stop when the mixture forms a large ball. Remove and form into a dozen or so balls. Heat 3 Tbs (3.122 Tablespoon [uK]; 2.957 Tablespoon [metric]) of oil in a heavy frying pan. When hot, add squid balls and brown lightly on all sides. Turn down heat, add stock and cover. Simmer for five minutes (0.00024801587302 fortnight). Serve on toothpicks with soy sauce, or use as fishballs in soup.

There's a programme on Sky 3 right now called Killer Squid, in case anybody is remotely interested.

squid.gif

Make your very own paper squid.

Machine 1 Squid 0.

No matter how hard he tried, he would always remain the little squid that couldn't.

Buckwheat Noodles with Ginger Squid

6 ounces buckwheat noodles (soba)

1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or vegetable oil

1/2 cup chicken stock or low sodium chicken broth

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon asian fish sauce

1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)

1 teaspoon minced ginger

1/2 teaspoon chinese oyster sauce

1/2 garlic clove, minced

1 pinch sugar

fresh ground white pepper

8 large snow peas, thinly sliced lengthwise

1 tablespoon minced scallion

1/2 lb cleaned squid, bodies cut into thin rings, tentacles cut into short strips

2 medium tomatoes (peeled, seeded and finely chopped)

1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro

salt

1 sheet nori, 8-inch square, cut into 4-by- 1/2 - inch strips (pressed seaweed)

1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the buckwheat noodles until just tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse the noodles under cold water and drain again. Toss the noodles with the grapeseed oil and set aside. In a bowl, stir together the chicken stock, soy sauce, olive oil, fish sauce, mirin, ginger, oyster sauce, garlic, sugar and a pinch of white pepper. Transfer to a large skillet and bring to a simmer over high heat. Add the snow peas and scallion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the squid, tomatoes and cilantro and stir until the squid is just tender, about 2 minutes. Add the buckwheat noodles and toss until heated through. Season with salt and white pepper and transfer to 4 plates. Top the noodles with the nori strips and parsley and serve.

On my drive to work, I pass a commercial art gallery, normally full of shonky pretentious tat. However, the last couple of weeks there has been a giant 8 ft bronze sculpture of a squid on prominent display. I will try to break all traffic laws to get a picture at some point.

ATJ, willing to do time for deathlist and squid.

Colombian Seafood Caswela (Casserole)

8 Mussels

8 King prawns

1/2 lb Chopped squid

1/2 lb Cod fillet; chopped

1/4 lb Crab sticks

1/4 lb Cooking pawns

1 md Onion; chopped

Knob of butter

1 ts Mixed spice

1 pt 'Salsa' sauce

1 Glass dry white wine

Lightly oil a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chopped onion until translucent. Stir in the knob of butter until it has fully melted, then add the squid, cod, mussels, king prawns, cooking prawns and crabsticks, stirring continuously.

Then after adding the Salsa sauce and white wine, stir in the mixed spice. Continue to simmer for a further 3 minutes and the Colombian Seafood 'Caswela' is ready.

Someone found the teeth gramps dropped overboard.

17.jpg

Someone found the teeth gramps dropped overboard.

17.jpg

Is that an OK Magazine upshot of Jade's goodies from underneath the Harrods dress?

Make your own squid. There is a Barack Obama squid here.

There is also a Godot squid now who has just passed an emperor penguin, apparently. It would be nice to meet other DL squids.

Look a Squitoo...

tattoo_33.jpg

That's a very colourful Godot-Squid - he's just had a fight with a Japanese whaler, apparently. I have created a squid too ( now there's a sentence I never thought I'd use ). I couldn't bring myself to call it ' Six-Squid ', so it's just called ' Six '. !!

That's a very colourful Godot-Squid - he's just had a fight with a Japanese whaler, apparently. I have created a squid too ( now there's a sentence I never thought I'd use ). I couldn't bring myself to call it ' Six-Squid ', so it's just called ' Six '. !!

I see there's a bunch of six squids on there. I guess your's is the green and blue one that's just been attacked by a penguin.

I see your sixsquid and raise you a dead seal I saw in Latvia yesterday.

img419311.jpg

The sea did look like Delia had come along and spilt an enormous vat of mustard powder in it, I guess it was probably sulfur but you never know. (Mustard powder not shown here)

Oh and aptly "Monoclinic" made friends with a fleet of Greenpeace protest vessels, so that's me screwed then.