Godot

Fascinating Creatures - Squids

Awww, ain't he pretty?

The blue-ringed octopus is 12 to 20 cm (5 to 8 inches), but its venom is powerful enough to kill humans. There is no blue-ringed octopus antivenom available.

The octopus produces venom that contains tetrodotoxin, 5-hydroxytryptamine, hyaluronidase, tyramine, histamine, tryptamine, octopamine, taurine, acetylcholine, and dopamine. The major neurotoxin component of blue-ringed octopus venom was originally known as maculotoxin but was later found to be identical to tetrodotoxin, a neurotoxin which is also found in pufferfish and cone snails. Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium channels, causing motor paralysis and respiratory arrest within minutes of exposure, leading to cardiac arrest due to a lack of oxygen. The toxin is created by bacteria in the salivary glands of the octopus.

Let's eat one of his cousins.

Prawn and Chicken Stuffed Calimari - Thai Style

1 calamari, tube cleaned

1/2 cup minced prawns

1/2 cup minced chicken

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional)

frypowder (available from Asian groceries)

1/4 cup oil, enough to shallow fry

1/2 red capsicum, finely diced

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

2 tablespoons fish sauce

2 tablespoons vinegar

6 tablespoons sugar

2 fresh chili peppers, finely sliced to taste

1/4 cup coriander leaves (to garnish)

Prep Time: 1 hr

Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs

Mix the prawn chicken and garlic together. Stuff the calamari with the mixture until full, but taking care not to over-stuff as the calamari will expand when cooked. Secure the open end of the calamari with toothpick/s. In a steamer, steam the calamari for about 25- 30 minutes ( note: if using the baby calamari tubes, 10 minutes is sufficient). Use this opportunity to make sauce. When the steaming is completed, roll the calamari tube in a shallow dish containing the fry powder. Once coated, remove the calamari tube and add water to the fry powder to make a paste as per the packets instructions.

Heat oil is a wok so that it is just starting to smoke. Add calamari tube and fry quickly on all sides.

Remove calamari from oil, and cut into slices/discs. Place the discs on a plate, pour/drizzle sauce over the top and sprinkle coriander leaves over the dish.

Sauce:

Add oil to small saucepan and sauté capsicum, garlic and chili until the capsicum is soft. Add the fish sauce, vinegar and sugar to the saucepan. Cook until sauce starts to thicken, being careful not to burn.

, but I think their squid friends would approve.

Guest Just passing

I read the streamer of that story as: "Remote-controlled squid lift the lid on the indiscriminate sex life of deep-sea subs", which sounded like a really interesting story. It turned out the actual story isn't bad either.

regards,

Hein

I read the streamer of that story as: "Remote-controlled squid lift the lid on the indiscriminate sex life of deep-sea subs", which sounded like a really interesting story. It turned out the actual story isn't bad either.

regards,

Hein

We haven't had a squid sex scandal shocker in a while, so here's something on the frankly insatiable dumpling squid (Euprymna tasmanica). No wonder they're "short-lived".

We haven't had a squid sex scandal shocker in a while, so here's something on the frankly insatiable dumpling squid (Euprymna tasmanica). No wonder they're "short-lived".

Strayan, eh?

regards,

Hein

For just a second I thought the video would have some sort of explanation regarding the fascinating bluefire squid but instead came Roseann Barr. Would TM have one of those as an appetizer?

I am so overdue for a squid recipe.

Squid Spread

3 lbs. whole squid mantles, cleaned

1/2 cup sour cream

1 /2 cup mayonnaise

2 oz. chopped pimiento

1 Tbs. lemon juice

1 tsp. dried dill weed

Salt to taste

Cook mantles in boiling, salted water for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Chop into small pieces. Mix squid, sour cream, mayonnaise, and pimentos. Add lemon juice, dill weed and salt. Serve chilled with crackers and assorted vegees.

Personally, I think I would whiz mine in a food processor, but to each his own.

Blanche-Vaughans-black-ri-008.jpg

This is Black Risotto with Squid. Recipe here.

Just for the record a piece of unique giant squid action, only three months llate.

Is that still alive?

Is that still alive?

It actually looked to me like it was riddled with maggots. If so, its probably dead.

Either way, its the least appetising food I've ever seen.

with same ridiculous commentary. How American can an accent get? Some of the footage looks suspiciously familiar.

New Zealand giant squid autopsy streamed on-line.

and we missed it.

• Like 1

Radio Four are broadcasting an entire programme about the giant squid next Tuesday mornin. Obviously, all activity hereabouts will cease as we check it you, right?

• Like 1

I 'was' meant to be going after squid after the prawn season has never really started.

But, the skipper has been on the shot, and I ain't seen him in 3 weeks.

He's 58 ffs. Cunt.

• Like 1