Sign in to follow this  
weasel

Deathlist Average Scoring

365 days / 50 names = 1 death every 7.3 days to complete the list.

In 126 days we have 1 recorded.

We are averaging .345 for the year, which is not too good. We should be around 17.26 to complete the entire list for the year. Lots of catching up to do!

Even if we hit only 25% of the list, which is roughly 12 people, we still have 11 to go in 239 days, which means the average should be at 1 every 21.73 days.

In a slump? :lol:

365 days / 50 names = 1 death every 7.3 days to complete the list.

In 126 days we have 1 recorded.

We are averaging .345 for the year, which is not too good. We should be around 17.26 to complete the entire list for the year. Lots of catching up to do!

Even if we hit only 25% of the list, which is roughly 12 people, we still have 11 to go in 239 days, which means the average should be at 1 every 21.73 days.

In a slump? :lol:

I don't doubt that the list will improve its hits ratio, but your assumption that the list really looks to achieve 50 hits per year is just as wide of the mark. The admin staff are a law unto themselves. On a number of occasions I've put forward the idea that the members should take more of an active role in drawing up the list. All we seem to do is score points off each other in judging who's personal list is better and toss over the wall hints, tips and ideas as how to improve both the deathlist and our own picks and how they should be drawn up.

I can't see much changing without deeper involvement of the membership - correct me if I'm wrong but I'm not getting much in the way of acceptance from the admin staff of the idea of stageing a DL convention say between Christmas and New Year.

That's because you are nothing more than an ORDINARY MEMBER like the majority of us.

You make your suggestions in the thread, they are considered by the admin, they may or not be chosen.

Conventions now? Bloody hell.

Oh I know? The GR could be the president! Other Admins the Cabinet! The Mods could be the Senate and longer serving members could run for the House of Representatives! We could have our very on democratic institution to choose the lower institutions! Yay!

NOT!

I'm not getting much in the way of acceptance from the admin staff of the idea of stageing a DL convention say between Christmas and New Year.

Well, think about it rationally, RA.

Firstly, people are spread out too far & wide across the world.

Secondly, most people want to spend Christmas & New Year with their families than discuss soon-to-be dead people.

Thirdly, meeting some of the other admins/members here would scare the life out of other people.

Fourthly - does it REALLY matter if the DL gets 50 hits or 1? There's no prizes involved, it's just a bit of fun.

Fifthly, even if we discuss for hours on end whether Phil Hill or Ronnie Biggs or King Tut should be included, GR, CR & whoever else chooses the names can completely ignore us, making it a complete waste of time.

Sixthly, who's going to pay for flight & accomodation for everyone, especially around Christmas?

It's a non-starter.

What we DO need is a yawny smilie, as this is yet ANOTHER thread about how bad the DL is... Zzzzzzzzz

That's because you are nothing more than an ORDINARY MEMBER like the majority of us.

You make your suggestions in the thread, they are considered by the admin, they may or not be chosen.

Oh I know? The GR could be the president! Other Admins the Cabinet! The Mods could be the Senate and longer serving members could run for the House of Representatives! We could have our very on democratic institution to choose the lower institutions! Yay!

NOT!

Surely Windsor, the GR is the Monarch! :lol:

NOT!

Does the GR have a son ready to take the throne when he pops his cloggs?

If so, lets have a Monarchy!

NOT!

Does the GR have a son ready to take the throne when he pops his cloggs?

If so, lets have a Monarchy!

No progeny as yet, I'm afraid.

What we DO need is a yawny smilie, as this is yet ANOTHER thread about how bad the DL is... Zzzzzzzzz

No kidding. Face it, folks - unless you are GR, CR, etc.........

IT'S NOT YOUR LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a democracy. There is no "we" involved here.

You get what you pay for. Your "membership" is free. Go do the math.

IT'S NOT YOUR LIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more, CA. It's not like every Catholic on earth gets a vote for the next Pope, is it.

1 out of 50 would turn into a resounding victory. If you are French.

Damn - here I go ranting about that election again. I've banished it to Room 101 so I should let it lie.

I'm with you CA. If I understand this site correctly it was set up in an SU bar as a little private affair that's escalated over the years?

Now I'd get put out if someone was to come along and berate any of our stoopid stoodent games. Last thing you want is someone pissing on your alcohol impaired memories - best days of your life and all that.

Besides which, no one has yet to say that 68.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It's not like every Catholic on earth gets a vote for the next Pope, is it.

Now that would be fun.

But then I'm sure the great dictator (God, not Hitler) in the sky would not be amused.

If EVERY Catholic did get a vote, who - do you think - they would elect?

If EVERY Catholic did get a vote, who - do you think - they would elect?

Well, I'm not one for betting. I would, however, put a tenner on the Pope.

im really surprised we are in may and only have one hit i mean with all the post 100+ people we got on there i thought at least 4 or so by now. Oh well no matter what happens we will not have 0 deaths this year cause of ernest gallo! but still a long way to go

We tried to address this last year, when in early December I started a specific thread for proper 2007 candidates (it was more specific and up to date than the "ideas and possibilities" thread, which just became a place for listing everyone in the world who had ever had a cold or was over 75). The response was pretty underwhelming, and it subsequently appeared lots of people were "hoarding" good candidates for their own lists, rather than sharing them with the DL community. I even asked people to PM me their lists if they were scared of their brilliance being copied by other dead pool participants.

As an example (of a good list, not a hoarder), I prefer Rotten Ali's shadow 2007 list to the official DL list, and think the DL would benefit if we had access to everyone's suggestions for the following year. If people prefer to hoard, then please don't complain that it's "our" list and not "yours".

So, any good nominees for 2008, please let us know and a rationale. And we're talking truly famous people, people that the average Sun reader would have heard of. Not the 17th cousin of the king of freakin' Tonga.

As an example (of a good list, not a hoarder), I prefer Rotten Ali's shadow 2007 list to the official DL list, and think the DL would benefit if we had access to everyone's suggestions for the following year.

Lindsay Hughes and the hanging Iraqis?

I much prefer my list getting both Magnus Magnusson and John Inman....

We tried to address this last year, when in early December I started a specific thread for proper 2007 candidates (it was more specific and up to date than the "ideas and possibilities" thread, which just became a place for listing everyone in the world who had ever had a cold or was over 75). The response was pretty underwhelming, and it subsequently appeared lots of people were "hoarding" good candidates for their own lists, rather than sharing them with the DL community.

That's why there was (and still is) the Ideas & Possibilites - the Names thread, CR.

Most of the nobodies, and unlikely to die were removed and reasons put as to why the remaining 200 or so were good candidates. However it was seemingly utterly ignored & it seemed pointless to post the names all over again in the other thread and as the admin response was equally pretty underwhelming, it seems pointless to bother spending time & effort on it again/

Considering Poston, Laine, Papon, Magnusson, Inman, Yeltsin, Carlise Hart, Vonnegut, Eagleton, Forte, Bennett, Buchwald, Sheldon AND Del Toro were all on that list, I'd say it was a pretty useful resource, and FYI, Wallach was removed for being too damn healthy.

So, you can't say we didn't make some suggestions.

Perhaps the problem is that you lot make too many suggestions. Honestly, if there was a medal for going too far it would be a stiff competition (no pun intended).

Of the names suggested, it's nice to see how many of them were considered for your own DDP's. Taking Rotten Ali for example (because I don't like him), his four hits are the two hanging Iraqis, Lindsay Hughes and Josie Grove. None of these choices could be put on the DL (I'll admit to having Grove on my DDP).

How many opted for these in your top 50:

Laine, Papon, Magnusson, Inman, Yeltsin

With Papon being the exception, most of you wouldn't have given the rest any time of day. Too busy digging up a bunch of nobodies.

The only reason Inman and Yeltsin made my top 50 was because a) I knew they were ill 2)My database of possibilities doesn't exceed 50.

Now if you don't mind - I'm bored being a complaining hypocrite, I'm going to walk the dog (weather permitting).

Lynch mobs at dawn! In house fighting would lead me to suggest the old stalwarts on this site might end up as prime candidates for the top 50 in 2008. If they last that long. Being a DL whippersnapper I would not like to hazard a guess as to which members would be in for a visit from the mob though...

Perhaps the problem is that you lot make too many suggestions. Honestly, if there was a medal for going too far it would be a stiff competition (no pun intended).

Of the names suggested, it's nice to see how many of them were considered for your own DDP's. Taking Rotten Ali for example (because I don't like him), his four hits are the two hanging Iraqis, Lindsay Hughes and Josie Grove. None of these choices could be put on the DL (I'll admit to having Grove on my DDP).

How many opted for these in your top 50:

Laine, Papon, Magnusson, Inman, Yeltsin

With Papon being the exception, most of you wouldn't have given the rest any time of day. Too busy digging up a bunch of nobodies.

The only reason Inman and Yeltsin made my top 50 was because a) I knew they were ill 2)My database of possibilities doesn't exceed 50.

Now if you don't mind - I'm bored being a complaining hypocrite, I'm going to walk the dog (weather permitting).

I don't know about my data base but 50 exceeds my attention span...I think Yeltsin was my only suggestion. I put him in the #20 spot on my DDP and no one else on it has popped their clogs yet ........ #19 is Margaret Thatcher. :D

Fair comments CR, OoO & Windsor. Thing is we have so much choice that without your ear being glued to the ground 24/7 these guys tend to slip through net. OK Windsor - by all means tell me I've not worked 100% within the DL criteria but I think you will find I omitted Josie from my top 50 list for these very reasons. Still time will tell and I must rush.

OK Windsor - by all means tell me I've not worked 100% within the DL criteria but I think you will find I omitted Josie from my top 50 list for these very reasons.

Not that I understand why.

Lindsay Hughes and the hanging Iraqis are not allowed under DL rules. If you were going for then, you may as well have put on Grove.