Tuber Mirum

British Science Fiction Series

Guest Guest

Speculation that Jenna Coleman to leave Doctor Who: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34266847

Heard that before! Champagne is still on ice.

I actually like Jenna Coleman. She's cute as a little button

She"s gone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34288721

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

her last episode will be on December 5 ,the last before the xmas special

Speculation that Jenna Coleman to leave Doctor Who: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34266847

She"s gone.

Quitting to play Queen Victoria, I wonder who will win.

• Like 1

She"s gone.http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34288721 :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Quitting to play Queen Victoria, I wonder who will win.

Pity. I was hoping she was quitting to emigrate to Australia to marry me.

I actually thought last weekend's episode was one of the best so far - great effects but old school story and necessary cliffhanger - maybe the new generation of fanboys and girls need to get their fingers out of their pants - this is not a show to masturbate to, no matter how "pretty" the stars should be in their opinion - and learn to concentrate on a story for a decent length of time.

But hey, what can you expect in a world where a six second vine is the epitome of good storytelling? Or a reality show presents half or a quarter of a song or act upon which your entire existence is judged?

I actually thought last weekend's episode was one of the best so far - great effects but old school story and necessary cliffhanger - maybe the new generation of fanboys and girls need to get their fingers out of their pants - this is not a show to masturbate to, no matter how "pretty" the stars should be in their opinion - and learn to concentrate on a story for a decent length of time.

But hey, what can you expect in a world where a six second vine is the epitome of good storytelling? Or a reality show presents half or a quarter of a song or act upon which your entire existence is judged?

I agree. I thought this was a story I could imagine any of the first seven Doctors being in.

The two part format allowed the characters to develop.

I hope the next episode delivers.

The Daily Mirror is the only left leaning tabloid. Can still be a bit trashy but is not Murdoch's mouthpiece.

More like using a probability to prove an indefinable. Doctor Who probably will get a split season or gap year again soon, because the BBC prefer it being on in the Spring, because Steven Moffat will probably hand over to a successor within the next three years, and because Peter Capaldi (sadly, as I think he's been fantastic) can't last forever in the role. There's been a lot of press lately - including from the BBC news site! - which suggests modern media either doesn't understand the changing face of TV consumption, or rather, ignores it in the face of "a good story".

In reality, Doctor Who is one of the BBC's biggest earners (it brings back something stupid like ten times its budget on overseas sales and merchandise), has lead the way for the Beeb moving towards online (the season opener had nearly two hundred thousand Iphone views within 24 hours, for example, getting it a place on the *weekly* charts that were released on the Sunday ahead of shows which had an entire week of downloads, and Iplayer gets around 1.3 million downloads of the show a month, not counting folk who stream online), etc.

They'd replace the show runner, the lead actor, the format (ala the Pertwee era), before cutting their noses off.

• Like 1

More like using a probability to prove an indefinable. Doctor Who probably will get a split season or gap year again soon, because the BBC prefer it being on in the Spring, because Steven Moffat will probably hand over to a successor within the next three years, and because Peter Capaldi (sadly, as I think he's been fantastic) can't last forever in the role. There's been a lot of press lately - including from the BBC news site! - which suggests modern media either doesn't understand the changing face of TV consumption, or rather, ignores it in the face of "a good story".

In reality, Doctor Who is one of the BBC's biggest earners (it brings back something stupid like ten times its budget on overseas sales and merchandise), has lead the way for the Beeb moving towards online (the season opener had nearly two hundred thousand Iphone views within 24 hours, for example, getting it a place on the *weekly* charts that were released on the Sunday ahead of shows which had an entire week of downloads, and Iplayer gets around 1.3 million downloads of the show a month, not counting folk who stream online), etc.

They'd replace the show runner, the lead actor, the format (ala the Pertwee era), before cutting their noses off.

Interesting analysis but I suspect this is a non story.

The fact that DW was pushed back to 8.20 this week to make way for the flagship family show Strictly means that the Autumn schedule might be too crowded but viewing figures are better in the winter with the darker nights.

The BBC should always be looking at how best to present their programmes, they would be criticized for resting on their laurels if they did not.

in 2016 there will be European Championships and Olympics they might want to clear the schedules for other things and then use DW to bring in viewers to another programme like The Voice in the winter run (jan-easter).

• Like 1

Last weekends episode was on at 8.25 and Mummy on the Orient Express around the same time because it was seen as "too scary" for kids. Pyramids of Mars was originally shown at 5.45 and the bloody Autons were on at quarter past five. Clearly Mary Whitehouse got the last laugh. It's on far too late.

• Like 1

Last weekends episode was on at 8.25 and Mummy on the Orient Express around the same time because it was seen as "too scary" for kids. Pyramids of Mars was originally shown at 5.45 and the bloody Autons were on at quarter past five. Clearly Mary Whitehouse got the last laugh. It's on far too late.

But surely the problem of i-player makes a mockery of this. Kids can have laptops in their rooms and watch it without any Parental input. Yes it was scary when we were kids but we would always watch in a family environment and the scare could be put into context. Doctor Who is meant to be the flagship family drama.

I loved Saturday's episode but Mrs B who works with preschool children knows that the kids will see it whether on Saturday night or at another time.

• Like 1

But surely the problem of i-player makes a mockery of this. Kids can have laptops in their rooms and watch it without any Parental input. Yes it was scary when we were kids but we would always watch in a family environment and the scare could be put into context. Doctor Who is meant to be the flagship family drama.

No sofas there to hide behind.

• Like 1

I loved Saturday's episode but Mrs B who works with preschool children knows that the kids will see it whether on Saturday night or at another time.

That's two points. The overnights are lower in part due to people leaving the show, in part due to the opposition of the world cup, and in part due to the later time slot.

My earlier, more pertinent point, was that due to on demand viewing (as you mention above), none of that really matters a toss these days.

That's two points. The overnights are lower in part due to people leaving the show, in part due to the opposition of the world cup, and in part due to the later time slot.

My earlier, more pertinent point, was that due to on demand viewing (as you mention above), none of that really matters a toss these days.

I agree this is more about trying to spin an anti-BBC story from data available rather than a genuine discussion on the future of Doctor Who. I am also not sure about the number I thought the viewing figures has dropped by 4million rather than below 4 million.

Just read a statistic that 1/3 of preschool children have thier own i-pad.

I agree this is more about trying to spin an anti-BBC story from data available rather than a genuine discussion on the future of Doctor Who. I am also not sure about the number I thought the viewing figures has dropped by 4million rather than below 4 million.

Okay but would a left-leaning tabloid necessarily run an anti-BBC story? Does the Mirror have a history of doing that? I know Murdoch has long had a vendetta against them but would the Mirror be in the same boat?

Okay but would a left-leaning tabloid necessarily run an anti-BBC story? Does the Mirror have a history of doing that? I know Murdoch has long had a vendetta against them but would the Mirror be in the same boat?

The agenda for the Mirror would be more "Shock. Tory victimisation of BBC will cancel Doctor Who (insert any popular programme here)"

It is still lazy journalism with very little substance.

• Like 1

She"s gone.

Details of Clara's departure (and the following episode after she's gone) here: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/doctor-who-spoiler-alert-jenna-10081588

"Spoilers, sweetie".

Veteran stuntman Derek Ware (Doctor Who et al) has died aged 77...

Guest Guest

I was sorry to hear about his death.he was more than just a stuntman.he founded and led HAVOC, the team of stunt men who appeared in most of the Jon Pertwee stories He was therefore a massive part of that era. He also played numerous small acting parts in the series

RIP Pigbin Josh.

• Like 1

Neville Jason, who played Prince Reynart in the 1978 Doctor Who story The Androids of Tara, has died at 81. http://tobyhadoke.com/doctor-who/neville-jason-rip-androids-of-tara-actor-dies/

Other well known roles include Kerim's chauffeur in From Russia With Love, Lapointe in the 1960s TV show Maigret, and Bob Turner in Emergency Ward 10.

• Like 1

Neville Jason, who played Prince Reynart in the 1978 Doctor Who story The Androids of Tara, has died at 81. http://tobyhadoke.com/doctor-who/neville-jason-rip-androids-of-tara-actor-dies/

Other well known roles include Kerim's chauffeur in From Russia With Love, Lapointe in the 1960s TV show Maigret, and Bob Turner in Emergency Ward 10.

That only leaves Lois Baxter, Tom Baker and John Leeson from that serial. It is one that I really enjoy and watch repeatedly.

• Like 2

That only leaves Lois Baxter, Tom Baker and John Leeson from that serial. It is one that I really enjoy and watch repeatedly.

"A hamster with a blunt penknife could do it quicker!"

It is a good one, possessing the greatest last line for any villain. Peter Jeffrey, seeing he is defeated, jumps into the moat and swims off, yelling behind him: "Next time, Doctor, I shall not be so lenient!" Always raises a good cheer.

• Like 1

It's the City of Death for hipsters...

• Like 2