I love Yeti's new avatar (a small woody drinking a cup of tea, no coarse comments please!!!!!!!!!! :lol: ). I spent ages trying to get a moomin avatar without having to scan in a piccy (too much hassle means reboot to 98, scan, send to Lord G. and send back in XP). Love it Yeti,hope you keep it.

I love Yeti's new avatar (a small woody drinking a cup of tea, no coarse comments please!!!!!!!!!!  :lol: ).  I spent ages trying to get a moomin avatar without having to scan in a piccy (too much hassle means reboot to 98, scan, send to Lord G. and send back in XP). Love it Yeti,hope you keep it.

I didn't realise it was a Moomin, until you said.

Excellent TF. where did you get that piccy???

I love Yeti's new avatar (a small woody drinking a cup of tea, no coarse comments please!!!!!!!!!! :lol: ). I spent ages trying to get a moomin avatar without having to scan in a piccy (too much hassle means reboot to 98, scan, send to Lord G. and send back in XP). Love it Yeti,hope you keep it.

I didn't realise it was a Moomin, until you said.

Excellent TF. where did you get that piccy???

He's been a mystery since he's joined the DL.

You should just nick them from the web, like everyone else does.

Plenty here. Though mine did actually come from a scan.

At least no-one's called yours a hippo.

PS Moomin bitsandbobs

Maybe a slight change ...

Tried that but the pics. were too big and wasn't sure how to reduce them to fit (scsi does that for me, but he wasn't at home at the time) it is lovely to see someone else remembers the moomins, they brought me great joy as a child, still have all the books, a bit battered and worn after 30+ years of being with me ('Finn Family Moomintroll' has been with me since 1972, when I was 5 years old, 33 years on I still dip back into it !!) never saw the cartoon version, but guess it was a dumbed down version for TV, I find it so sad that kids today spend their time in front of TV screens or computer monitors, never knowing the joy a book can bring.

It's only a matter of time before mine is referred to as a hippo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must dig out the photos of me feeding the Hippo at Dublin Zoo, it will be 'a guess which one's the Hippo contest' :o

Tove Jannson, creator of the Moomins is already dead, so no use to us, sadly.

Anyone know if there is truth in those rumours that there are people out there who want to see the dear, harmless old Moomins banned?

Can't see why.

Or did they have some Pugwash-style content?

20010627163840.jpg

Ongoing discussion ...

Anyone know if there is truth in those rumours that there are people out there who want to see the dear, harmless old Moomins banned?

Given that most of the Moomin books were written in the 60's, then stopped, you'd think she died way back then, but Tove Jannson actually only died a few years back.

Seems she just got fed up with the characters.

Obituary

I suppose I look a little like my avatar in that I have long dark hair and have been known to wear a mask. I've used pictures of me in my live journal as avatars but not on forums

I sometimes used to watch the moomins cartoon, it seemed designed to engender feelings of bleakness and isolation in the viewer. Very Scandinavian. Little My was a force to be reckoned with though. Not a show to watch if you're feeling depressed it could send you over the edge.

I always thought that too but you're the only other person I know who's also said that. Everyone I know just used to think the moomins were cute.

The Moomims are cute.... It's the Boobahs that scare the living s**t out of me.... when I die I hope I'm not taken away by a Boobah!!!

;)

VIENNA

May I compliment Gunjaman500 on his excellent avatar. If misanthropy was a fatal condition, Van the Man would be a shoo-in for 2006,2007,8,9,etc.

HOS has a fine avatar which is barely visible on my monitor. Here is a larger and brighter version to show it off a bit.

HOS2.jpg

On the topic of Avatars, did any one notice that Captain Oates and Tempus Fugit's avatars both look similar.

av-349.jpgav-644.jpg

Im not sure, but I think that its a pretty close match. ;)

On the topic of Avatars, did any one notice that Captain Oates and Tempus Fugit's avatars both look similar.

av-349.jpgav-644.jpg

Im not sure, but I think that its a pretty close match. ;)

Boudicca's was very similar a couple of days ago :D

Edit:- Post 900

Edited by heaven can wait

av-349.jpgav-644.jpg

Im not sure, but I think that its a pretty close match. :D

Anyone know who that is?

Looks a bit like Nick Cave to me, but I'm not at all sure. ;)