Death Watch Beatle

The Dead Of 2008

Uranus J. Appel, a bacteriologist and pioneer of private healthcare in America, has died at the age of 91. Understandably, he preferred to be addressed as 'Bob' rather than 'Uranus'.

Calling out the register at school must have been a source of mirth for him throughout his school years;

"Appel Uranus?"

"No thank you sir, I'm still sore from last time."

"Oh, ha ha. That's quite enough of that little Johnny. Is Uranus Appel in?"

<SN-word>"Nearly."

"Johnny! Stop that. Now, has anyone seen Uranus today?"

etc, etc.

Uranus J. Appel, a bacteriologist and pioneer of private healthcare in America, has died at the age of 91. Understandably, he preferred to be addressed as 'Bob' rather than 'Uranus'.

Calling out the register at school must have been a source of mirth for him throughout his school years;

"Appel Uranus?"

"No thank you sir, I'm still sore from last time."

"Oh, ha ha. That's quite enough of that little Johnny. Is Uranus Appel in?"

<SN-word>"Nearly."

"Johnny! Stop that. Now, has anyone seen Uranus today?"

etc, etc.

:rolleyes:

One would've thought "Bob" and "Appel", whilst better than Uranus, was hardly the best choice to avoid playground laughs....

Yossi Harel, who commanded a Jewish refugee ship Exodus in 1947, is dead on result of what is described to be cardiac arrest. Paul Newman, portrayed Ari Ben-Canaan in the movie Exodus (1960) which 'Ari Ben Cannan' was based on Yossi himself. I've never seen that film, but I felt it was appropriate to resurrect an inspiration to a film of some other generation, and then proceed to announce that it is officially dead.

Guest PtBacon

Really sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I think we should give recognition to the death of Humph Lyttleton. He was an absolute legend - a well-respected jazz trumpeter and a wonderful presenter for I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. I know I'll miss his contribution to radio.

I'm Sorry, I Haven't a Pulse.

Really sorry if this has been posted elsewhere but I think we should give recognition to the death of Humph Lyttleton. He was an absolute legend - a well-respected jazz trumpeter and a wonderful presenter for I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. I know I'll miss his contribution to radio.

Essex cricket coach John Hussain, father of former England captain, Nasser Hussain, has died.

That was Ron Grainer, with electronics by Delia Derbyshire.

Tristram Cary, writer of the theme music of Dr Who is dead. http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/father...9234732996.html

Cary did the incidental music. Nit-picking I know, but worth correcting.

He also helped develop the awesome VCS 3 Synthesizer ems2.jpg

Speaking of cricket somebody at Millwall on Saturday told me that former Kent cricketer Geoff Ward had died. Can't say I'd heard of him and when I looked him up he played about three times over fifty years ago and had an average of 5.75. I know nowt about cricket but I knew right off he was far from a household name.

Oh aye, and the prognosis on Kris Marshall is encouraging, for him at least. Unlikely we'll be listing him next year.

No more large bonuses for Sir Derek Higgs, the Chairman of The Alliance and Leicester Bank, who has died at the age of 64.

Guest Guest_Alphonsin_*
No more large bonuses for Sir Derek Higgs, the Chairman of The Alliance and Leicester Bank, who has died at the age of 64.

Gosh. That is big news for me. Um, maybe I should sober up...

Joy Page, has died aged 83. She had a minor but important role in "Casablanca" as the Bulgarian newlywed whose husband Rick lets win at roulette so that they can afford to pay for exit visas.

1960s/70s crumpet Julie Ege has died at 64. She was in Up Pompeii and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, among others.

julieege.jpg

1960s/70s crumpet Julie Ege has died at 64. She was in Up Pompeii and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, among others.

julieege.jpg

She was a cutie.

She let herself go a little of late, mind.

Here's one for Maryport: Former Carlisle Utd defender Gordon Bradley as died aged 74. Played for them for 3 seasons in the late 50s.

... oh, and he also coached in the States, where he had both Pele and Cruyff under his wing!

I was torn over whether to post this here or in the animal antics thread, but dying isn't much of an antic.

Ling Ling - Dead Dead

Here's one for Maryport: Former Carlisle Utd defender Gordon Bradley as died aged 74. Played for them for 3 seasons in the late 50s.

... oh, and he also coached in the States, where he had both Pele and Cruyff under his wing!

Thanks, that hadn't even made the unofficial message board. Given the tension ahead of the Bournemouth game I doubt they'd even attempt a minute of silence. If it had been Ivor Broadis.....

Victor Manuel Mejia Munera, one of Colombia's most wanted drug smugglers, has been killed in a police shootout. His twin brother, Miguel Ángel Munera might be a good bet for a deadpool, he too is wanted for drug smuggling and is unlikely to surrender without a fight.

Sir John Anthony Kershaw. Eton > Oxford > Barrister > Police > Army > Councillor > Tory MP > PPS > FO Minister > Knighthood (> Wooden Box).

Come the Glorious Revolution, comrades...

(unrelated to any stalker Kershaws, I'd guess)