Sign in to follow this  
BCAlum2000

No Famous Celebrity Deaths Lately...

It's been very slow in terms of celebrities who have died lately.

The last famous celebrity to have died (who I have actually heard of) is Roy Scheider (RIP). But that was back in February 10. Since then, there really hasn't been a famous celebrity who has died lately. Yeah, there were quasi-famous celebrities like Jeff Healey and Gary Gygax, but they're not exactly household names.

Is February and March usually a slow time for famous people to die?

I'm waiting for Fidel Castro to die. It's been boring out there in the news so we need someone like Castro to die to make the news more interesting again.

thank god for the Eliot Spitzer scandal or the news these days would be realllllllly boooring (I'm getting bored of election coverage already). There needs to be a famous celebrity death to make the news more exciting.

March usually sets the world of death on fire but I feel for what you're saying. This news week is so f****n slow it's enough to make media junkies want to blow their brains out (OK, not literally but you get what I'm saying)

For my DDP team I think Philip Jones Griffiths will be next. Or Pollack, I'll take either one. At this point it's all about patience. Learn to be patient.

March usually sets the world of death on fire but I feel for what you're saying. This news week is so f****n slow it's enough to make media junkies want to blow their brains out (OK, not literally but you get what I'm saying)

For my DDP team I think Philip Jones Griffiths will be next. Or Pollack, I'll take either one. At this point it's all about patience. Learn to be patient.

Yeah, when I saw news of Fidel Castro in big bold red letters on CNN, I thought it meant that Fidel died. But alas, it just meant that he merely resigned and relinguished his position of power.

On CNN, whenever there's some kinda tragic event that occurred (like somebody famous died or a bunch of people died in some accident), the breaking news bulletin will be in bloody red. When the breaking news is more upbeat, CNN's news bulletin will be in bright yellow.

There were several "close call" instances the past weeks that I thought would've led to a celebrity death, but alas, none so far.

Margaret Thatcher was hospitalized. i thought she'd kicked the bucket. But she appears to be fine.

John Wooden was injured pretty seriously. I thought he'd be dead, especially him being 97 and all. but he appears to be doing great.

Then there's this famous supermodel who was missing for like 3 days. Thought she'd turned out dead, but she was alive and well. With the way she behaved irresponsibility (she never contacted anybody regarding her whereabouts for 3 days), part of me was shocked to hear that she didn't end up dead especially after behaving in a reckless matter.

OTher than the Eliot spitzer scandal--thank God for that--the news has sucked lately. Same old boring election crap, with issues of race and gender being thrown around. Boooorrrrrrrinnnng..

We need another famous celebrity to die. Or at least we could use another major celebrity scandal to liven things up.

Perhaps some of us need to get a life.

CA, didn't you get the memo? We're not supposed to disparage unimaginative newcomers anymore. We're supposed to thank them for their contribution and politely welcome them to the DL.

That's a very Ameri-centric & myopic view.

Since Scheider, we've lost:-

• One of Britain's most prominent politicians of the 1970's & 1980's, once touted to be a Prime Minister
  • The last man alive who fought in a war before armoured tanks were used - in other words, a real part of history
  • One of Europe's most successful easy listening singers of the 20th century
  • The long-time former President of Slovenia - a key name in the process that split Yugoslavia up.
  • One of the 20th century's greatest opera singers - regarded by some as one of the best of all time

I could also add to that a war hero, a prominent American politician, one of motor racing's all-time legends & a top British TV presenter.

To dismiss them as not famous is a bit much...

From a DDP point of view, I'm delighted no-one's gone in the last week bar Ponticelli. Makes my life easier...

Okay, here's the spiel.

I'm going through a rough period right now. I just lost my job. The boss commended me for my great performance and said that I've been a valuable contributor, but said that the company's had financial problems and they had to let me go b/c there's not enough in the budget to sustain extra help. He told me to pack my bags up and clean my desk by 11 am on the SAME DAY. I asked for a one month reprieve, but he told me to get out by 12 PM (he did grant me an extra hour).

It f$%^ing sucks for me right now and I'm feeling low. I cheered for eliot Spitzer's downfall and I'm cheering for this country to fall into depression so they know what I'm going through right now. I sent my resumes to literally dozens of employers. I have a Master's degree, have sufficient work and computer experience, but nobody even wants to look at my resume.

So yeah, I'm miserable at the moment. Thank you very much. Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to seeing another famous celebrity die or to witness the downfall of somebody famous like Spitzer. Schauenfreude is all I'm feeling right now.

From a DDP point of view, I'm delighted no-one's gone in the last week bar Ponticelli. Makes my life easier...

You know that you cursed yourself to a Sharon type hit this afternoon. ;)

Okay, here's the spiel.

I'm going through a rough period right now. I just lost my job. The boss commended me for my great performance and said that I've been a valuable contributor, but said that the company's had financial problems and they had to let me go b/c there's not enough in the budget to sustain extra help. He told me to pack my bags up and clean my desk by 11 am on the SAME DAY. I asked for a one month reprieve, but he told me to get out by 12 PM (he did grant me an extra hour).

It f$%^ing sucks for me right now and I'm feeling low. I cheered for eliot Spitzer's downfall and I'm cheering for this country to fall into depression so they know what I'm going through right now. I sent my resumes to literally dozens of employers. I have a Master's degree, have sufficient work and computer experience, but nobody even wants to look at my resume.

So yeah, I'm miserable at the moment. Thank you very much. Maybe that's why I'm looking forward to seeing another famous celebrity die or to witness the downfall of somebody famous like Spitzer. Schauenfreude is all I'm feeling right now.

So you just left your job without a wimper.

You should have kicked your boss in the b*llocks on your way out.

PS: Sh*t posting is sh*t posting, no excuses here matey.

You know that you cursed yourself to a Sharon type hit this afternoon. ;)

Not surprising that after such an avalanche of deaths early in the year, that it should settle down a bit. But you never know when the next ones are coming...

CA, didn't you get the memo? We're not supposed to disparage unimaginative newcomers anymore. We're supposed to thank them for their contribution and politely welcome them to the DL.

Quite right. Unless you can come up with a Don Quixote, Eroica or Hamlet within your first three posts please don't bother sticking around.

Even from an American view, there's been the co-creators of both Married... with Children and Dungeons and Dragons, an Academy-award winning composer and the centenarian father of quality management. ;)

[*]The last man alive who fought in a war before armoured tanks were used - in other words, a real part of history

So these early tanks that didn't have armour OoO, What did they look like? Armadillos in the buff?

this country

Point proved, methinks.

So these early tanks that didn't have armour OoO, What did they look like? Armadillos in the buff?

:P I knew someone would be a smart-arse. :lol:

However if I had put that Ponticelli was the last surviving person to fight pre-tank, then no doubt I would have got a deluge of irate posts saying that the equivalent of a tank design was first used in the late 1400's during the Hussite Revolution in Bohemia- the brainchild of the great patriot & fighter, Jan Zizka......

http://victorian.fortunecity.com/benjamin/440/tank.html

and a far better & more concise read - http://www.hotelpraguecity.com/fotky/okoli/zizka2.html

...... so I made the distinction just in case.

Still, it's somewhat amazing to think that Ponticelli was, in many aspects, fighting as they did for aeons, albeit with more modern guns & a different style of fight, and equally amazing that such a man was still alive at the start of 2008, when warfare has changed out of all recognition.

Okay, here's the spiel.

So, BC, you're cheering for the whole country to fall into a depression because you are currently out of work? I guess we know who's the most important person in the world then don't we? Did you ever consider that beyond the fact that it's one of the most pitiful statements of self-indulgence I've ever heard, that the country being in a depression will make it much harder for you to get a job? Something to think about my friend.

Okay, here's the spiel.

So, BC, you're cheering for the whole country to fall into a depression because you are currently out of work? I guess we know who's the most important person in the world then don't we? Did you ever consider that beyond the fact that it's one of the most pitiful statements of self-indulgence I've ever heard, that the country being in a depression will make it much harder for you to get a job? Something to think about my friend.

Well, forgive me for sounding self-indulgent, but if you know what I'm going through, you'd be a lot more sympathetic and understanding of my plight.

The economy is going to hell right now. I have a Bachelors and Masters degrees in business finance, worked in various financial services jobs, have strong computer skills, and I'm out of work (along with many others). How do you think I f&&king feel? I'm not some podunk high school dropout; I am a college educated white collar worker and finding a job is hard for me right now.

When I was laid off, the boss assured me that it had nothing to do with my performance. In fact, him and various supervisors have given me the highest remarks and told me what a great worker and contributor I've been. But then, out of the blue, last week, the boss gave me some commendation and then said that due to the financial situation of the company, I was being laid off and told to get out of my office by 11 AM, the SAME DAY he told me I was laid off. Yes, I'm just a bit bitter and have been for awhile. I hope you understand the trauma I'm going through.

I'm in the most miserable mood and I figure this is probably the only site I can find where I can express my frustrations, given the morbid subject matter of this site.

I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, BC, but the fact of the matter is that many people have gone through and are going through the same plight. You will not get comfort in the distress of others. What will give you a measure of happiness is by giving to others. For all your bad fortune, many others are worse off (yes like some of the podunks you carelessly dismiss). Get your mind off yourself and think about others, that is where true happiness and contentment lie.

It's Sunday, I'm very busy but I need to confront this situation because it would be my loss to let it go.

Look, getting laid off is nobody's carnival. We don't sit in the corner and sob about it, but it opens several doors to many questions 'I have bills to pay' .. 'Everything costs money in this world' 'Where am I going now? 'Is the commute going to give me more anxiety .. ex ex

The fact is, on result of all you're current issues: You have debuted with an attitude that is unrealistically selfish. I mean just because you're life sucks at every level doesn't give you the access to share how you want the whole country to live in poverty. It doesn't make sense. That's the mentality of a seven year old.

You've mentioned that you have a masters degree and no doubt that is an accomplishment to be proud of. I don't have a masters degree, but I have enough intelligence to realize you're behavior patterns are consisting of 'I had the highest marks'---I am a college educated white collar worker :lol::P (Excuse me, there) 'So, I'm allowed to complain like a whining bitch and you're all gonna take it! No, that's not how it works around here. How many years of college you completed does not make you shitting on everybody acceptable.

I understand how life can be miserable. I understand how it complicates every situation and I understand the challenges you have to deal with. My advice is: It will get better. Losing you're job is not the end of the world. Instead of losing you're job, you could have lost everything. Think about everything else you could have lost, instead of a place to go. You could have lost you're arms ... you're legs ... you're mind... (Pauses)

Who knows. Be grateful - Not selfish. Look at what you gain, instead of what you lose. A job is a job - you don't have one so go to Vegas and buy yourself some cheap sunglasses and play for what's in the middle man. Enjoy. Life wasn't made for suffering, think of life as an opportunity you can take advantage of. Construct you're negatives into one positive. Open you're mind to the current options. Live like a legend, live like a bastard. Turn up the volume, get alive.

Guest Noble Strength

I believe the technical term for what you have encountered is a sh*t sandwich, albeit a Danish one as there appears to be no nice after compliment.

You say you worked in finance, have you ever considered lion taming, it is the natural progression. Best of luck.

And now for something completely different:

It's Sunday, I'm very busy but I need to confront this situation because it would be my loss to let it go.

and everybody else's gain :lol:

Well, forgive me for sounding self-indulgent, but if you know what I'm going through, you'd be a lot more sympathetic and understanding of my plight.

The economy is going to hell right now. I have blah blah blah and finding a job is hard for me right now.

I'm in the most miserable mood and I figure this is probably the only site I can find where I can express my frustrations, given the morbid subject matter of this site.

I HAVE gone through what you're going through not once, not twice, but THREE times. And before you dismiss that statement with a "yes, but..", I am damn well educated, a damn good worker & each time I found myself in these situations it was through no fault of my own.

So, I feel qualified to say stop acting like a snivelling, pathetic little sh*t.

No-one on this earth is going to automatically give a job to someone who thinks they are above everybody else & has the potential to do well, but prefers to blame everyone else & rather than fight, just give up and curl up & die - because that's the impression I'm getting of you. If I were an employer in the US, and I had a choice between an educated, qualified white boy who had no fight, backbone & a chip on his shoulder, and a young, enthusiastic Hispanic, with limited qualifications but bags of energy, hope & enthusiasm, I'd know who I'd choose, and it wouldn't be you.

Is the above harsh? Perhaps. But fair? Undoubtedly.

I could have done what you did - whinge, cry, blame everyone & hope everyone else suffers as a result. But I didn't.

I don't often blow my own trumpet on here, but I rolled my sleeves up, got on with it & now I have a day job I love, albeit relatively low paid compared to some, but still a job I love, plus, when chance allows, I can supplement my normal wage with a sideline in motor racing journalism - another dream job that has given me so much AND I also find the time to run two huge websites, play badminton at a decent level, have a girlfriend & other normal mularkey. I did all that by using what I had to me & making the most of it - you will have to do that as well.

The above may seem to you I am against you - but I am not. If anything, I want you to succeed just as I did in the same situation. But if you are going to do that, you HAVE to get out of this snivelling little creep stage & work as hard as you have ever done and believe me, recession or no recession, you CAN do it.

Besides, you could be a lot worse off. At least you're still alive, and, I presume, healthy. That should never be taken for granted, never.

Sorry to everyone else for the above, but I hope it helps wake him out of his baby-like tantrum.

PS Well said Banshees. Ooh, I might need a lie down after saying that.... :lol:

[quote name='Octopus of Odstock' date='Mar 16 2008, 06:58 PM

Now I can die because I've seen everything.

The economy is going to hell right now. I have blah blah blah and finding a job is hard for me right now.

I HAVE gone through what you're going through not once, not twice, but THREE times. And before you dismiss that statement with a "yes, but..", I am damn well educated, a damn good worker & each time I found myself in these situations it was through no fault of my own.

So, I feel qualified to say stop acting like a snivelling, pathetic little sh*t.

No-one on this earth is going to automatically give a job to someone who thinks they are above everybody else & has the potential to do well, but prefers to blame everyone else & rather than fight, just give up and curl up & die - because that's the impression I'm getting of you. If I were an employer in the US, and I had a choice between an educated, qualified white boy who had no fight, backbone & a chip on his shoulder, and a young, enthusiastic Hispanic, with limited qualifications but bags of energy, hope & enthusiasm, I'd know who I'd choose, and it wouldn't be you.

Is the above harsh? Perhaps. But fair? Undoubtedly.

I could have done what you did - whinge, cry, blame everyone & hope everyone else suffers as a result. But I didn't.

I don't often blow my own trumpet on here, but I rolled my sleeves up, got on with it & now I have a day job I love, albeit relatively low paid compared to some, but still a job I love, plus, when chance allows, I can supplement my normal wage with a sideline in motor racing journalism - another dream job that has given me so much AND I also find the time to run two huge websites, play badminton at a decent level, have a girlfriend & other normal mularkey. I did all that by using what I had to me & making the most of it - you will have to do that as well.

The above may seem to you I am against you - but I am not. If anything, I want you to succeed just as I did in the same situation. But if you are going to do that, you HAVE to get out of this snivelling little creep stage & work as hard as you have ever done and believe me, recession or no recession, you CAN do it.

Besides, you could be a lot worse off. At least you're still alive, and, I presume, healthy. That should never be taken for granted, never.

Sorry to everyone else for the above, but I hope it helps wake him out of his baby-like tantrum.

Hear hear. Words of wisdom and sense.

Some of the ladies here know that I have recently been going through a bit of a tough time - yes, I had a moan on the DLXX forum, which helped, and then I (mostly) shut up and got on with things. In my albeit limited life experience that's the way to do it, instead of wallowing in self pity get up, dust yourself off and move on. Nobody owes you a living.