millwall32

Biggest Deathlist Recovery

After having a quick look at the Russel Watson thread last night it occured to me to ask, What is the best recovery of health by someone featured on the main Deathlist?

Peter Shilton occurs to me as an immediate candidate as does Watson himself.

Any ideas anyone else?

Shilton recovered from having absolutely nothing wrong with him remarkably quickly.

By the way, if one googles 'Peter Shilton wife beater' (as one reasonably might), guess which site comes up first...

Andrea de Cesaris also recovered from having nothing wrong with him. He thrives on today.

In fact, there's numerous people on this year's DL or previous year's DL that have nothing wrong with them. (Vera Lynn, Herbert Lom, Eli Wallach etc.)

So, how can they possibly recover from something they haven't got??

Leo Beenhakker too... though the way his Poland side are defending right now, he might be a good entry for DL 2009.... :)

I suppose George Lineker, Mike Ditka, Roddy Piper etc would be candidates who were ill but are now pretty much okay.

Ronnie Biggs would be another candidate since a cumulation of the claimed ailments in his case are enough to kill a carload of normally healthy persons. Trouble is, like Ernest Saunders who miraculously recovered from the early stages of dementia, you've got to wonder how many of Biggs' ills are yarns spun by his legal team.

Shilton recovered from having absolutely nothing wrong with him remarkably quickly.

By the way, if one googles 'Peter Shilton wife beater' (as one reasonably might), guess which site comes up first...

To be fair, the old Deathlist was a little more risk taking: Misadventure would have been the hope for Shilton...

Fidel Castro.

Looking well and coming up for another birthday.

f**k! Why can't Fidel Castro drop dead of a heart attack? He's an old seenile brutal dictator whose time has past and needs to leave his life and join his buddies Saddam Hussein and Jerry Falwell.

But for those who think I'm being tasteless or whatever, hell, even Presidential candidate John McCain agrees with me:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...ng-castro-dies/

Guest Significant?
Fidel Castro.

f**k! Why can't Fidel Castro drop dead of a heart attack? He's an old seenile brutal dictator whose time has past and needs to leave his life and join his buddies Saddam Hussein and Jerry Falwell.

But for those who think I'm being tasteless or whatever, hell, even Presidential candidate John McCain agrees with me:

Over here in Europe Castro traditionally wasn't a big hitter amongst the children who were around 7 years old (or maybe even 8 or 9 at a push) during the missile crisis of 1962. They were more concerned with the then Prime Minister of Finland, Ahti "Tankero" Karjalainen, and his over friendly relations with the Sovient Union. In fact they were STUNNED to find out about his drink problems. It was probably the first time they had been exposed to the foibles of world leaders.

I don't have the exact figures to hand for that era but current day figures would suggest that Europe, having over double the population of the United States (ca. 728 million cf. just over 300 million) coupled with the diplomatic ties Cuba has with African nations such as Angola and Mozambique and the importation of Chinese energy efficient lightbulbs into Havana, that the rest of the world don't wish death upon this "seenile brutal dictator" quite as readily as certain US Administrations.

I believe Nelson Mandela gave Castro South Africa's highest civilian award for foreigners, the Order of Good Hope during his presidency. And we all know what a top bloke Nelly is, I mean we've named tower blocks in Peckham after him, got Titchmarsh, Dimmock and Walsh in to do his garden, I even believe there was once an infamous student union bar named after him, so we can't seriously believe Castro to be as nasty as the Americans make out can we if Nelly's given him praise?

Have you ever been to Cuba? Oh that's right, you might have some difficulties . I haven't personally been but would like to go before it changes beyond all recognition. They say the squid is to die for.

Fidel Castro.

Eh, I prefer him over Mugabe anyday.

Guest Guest

After having a quick look at the Russel Watson thread last night it occured to me to ask, What is the best recovery of health by someone featured on the main Deathlist?

Peter Shilton occurs to me as an immediate candidate as does Watson himself.

Any ideas anyone else?

Zsa Zsa Gabor wins the award for biggest death bed tease in deathlist history.. 3 years ago she was given the last rites. and she still clings on, legless and mostly lifeless,but annoyingly still alive

al megrahi is another one for me even though he didn't recover he was supposed to have 3 months left but stuck around and teased us for 3 years.

Guest Guest

he did have the decency to die eventualy though...

The dark period of 2010-2011 had quite a few names like that: John Edrich, Peter Tork, Michael Douglas, Aretha Franklin, (if she counts, considering she had been a rumor-based pick) Fergie Frederiksen...

Bernie Nolan...mark my words.