Guest wizard

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan hasn't looked 'fine' in years. Put it this way, if a short, haggered looking guy, resembling Dylan and dressing in the cod old fashioned country-star threads be sports these days, worked in your local filling station there'd be kids outside passing the boring evening hours by hurling abuse at him.

If it wasn't for his mighty songwriting talent his sex life would have been a lot less interesting.

Don't think he's remotely close to death though.

It has been suggested that Dylan's legacy would live on way past his death and that he would be regarded in the same terms as Shakespeare in 300 or so years time. I not quite sure of that. In 300 years time, music historians would probably regard the music of that period as much the same, with Dylan subtly distinguishable from Donovan or Neil Young...

DONOVAN!!!!!!

Get real, Young and Dylan are out front and that jumped up Scots hippie is lucky if they let him work as their guitar roadie.

Worth considering: Donovan has spent most of the last twenty years out of contract with anyone whilst Dylan and Young are still with the labels they signed to in the sixties. Both eagerly re-signed by said labels after a short trip elsewhere.

You never know what the future has in store, perhaps they'll all be ignored in favour of the New York Dolls or PIL or Miles Davis or anybody, we don't know. We have a habit in this culture of confidently predicting the future and saying what will an 'all time great'...

Look at Alex Chilton and Scott Walker: they have trouble holding on to record contracts, yet they are highly regarded. For God's sake don't go with what the music business deam to be the best, Neil Young and Bob Dylan are still commercially viable, if only for nostalgic reasons...

The whole point about Neil Young is that he's fought nostalgia - or rust - for decades.

I know what you mean about the unpredictability. But, Donovan is an also ran, end of. If you don't believe me buy yourself a copy of Essence to Essence, lock yourself in a room and listen to it ten times in a row.

Neil Young doesn't want to be nostalgic, but record companies know that fans do.

I mentioned Donovan because he was a contemporary of Bob Dylan, like Fred Neil or Phil Ochs. Its interesting that we are having this debate, because on the Late Review on BBC2, exactly this sort of thing was going on, with pretentious critic Paul Morley confidentally predicting Dylan's immortality. It is another example of our cultural narcissicism.

I don't think he tries hard enough musically. He plays harmonica and guitar alright but he doesn't seem to realise there's room for cymbals between his knees and a bass drum on his back.

He's only ever reached half his potential. :)

An old favourite that joke. Good to hear it again.

By the way-Bob Dylan is a genius.

Guest irrelevant

I agree with Binzy... The reason Dylan was so famous was for his writing talent. He may not have had the voice of an angel, but it didn't matter because he out-did himself lyrically...

I agree with Binzy... The reason Dylan was so famous was for his writing talent. He may not have had the voice of an angel, but it didn't matter because he out-did himself lyrically...

I could practically call him A genius. When I listen to songs such

as "Hey Mr.Tambourine Man" I get stuck on the words and even the

melody for hours.

A great influence on Rock and Roll Dob Dylan was.

When I listen to songs such as "Hey Mr.Tambourine Man" I get stuck on the words and even the melody for hours.

I prefer Mr Tangerine Man

When I listen to songs such as "Hey Mr.Tambourine Man"  I get stuck on the words and even the melody for hours.

I just played that; I've been Tango'ed

When I listen to songs such as "Hey Mr.Tambourine Man"  I get stuck on the words and even the melody for hours.

So Lady Die.....Your a member of the Royal Forums aren't you?

So Lady Die.....Your a member of the Royal Forums aren't you?

Absolutely not.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 :lol:

Found out a few days back that Jimi Hendrix idolized Bob Dylan and there was much happiness when they finally met. Is this a well-known fact or not? I'm a bit out with my hippy music knowledge.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Rainy Day Women #12 & 35  :lol:

Found out a few days back that Jimi Hendrix idolized Bob Dylan and there was much happiness when they finally met. Is this a well-known fact or not? I'm a bit out with my hippy music knowledge.

When it comes to hippies I'm with Cartman.

copcart7ez.gif

I can't believe no one has mentioned Rainy Day Women #12 & 35  :lol:

All Along The Watch Tower was covered by Hendrix and Dylan liked it so much he began using that interpretation in his live performances

No, you see Dylan had no real part in the hippie movement since

he was in a motercycle accident in 1969. I would say for atleast

A couple years the man didn't really release any new songs and

appeared rarely. :lol:

No, you see Dylan had no real part in the hippie movement since

he was in a motercycle accident in 1969. I would say for atleast

A couple years the man didn't really release any new songs and

appeared rarely. ;)

Excuse me - I didn't post that message as idle banter. It's genuine stuff dude. You can't just say "no" like that as if you were Dylan's mam or something. Besides it's missleading. He might be writing a thesis or something and you're condemning the poor boy to a Desmond or worse. Irresponsible

Guest BOoSop

"Bob Dylan hasn't an ounce of talent. His voice is absolutely horrible and his lyrics are utterly childish. It amazes me that people see him as a legend. This is a guy who found a niche in the 60's and people have elevated him to legend status since. I mean, this guy couldn't get a job singing at a Holiday Inn based upon his talent if he were to start out today. Without a doubt, the least talented celebrity in the world. Another example of the mindless masses following along like sheep."

Du hast keine Ahnung du Vogel!

Hörst warscheinlich irgendso eine scheiss Boygroup musik!

Wenn Bob Dylan nicht talentiert ist... dann bist du nicht Behindert! :o:D

"Bob Dylan hasn't an ounce of talent. His voice is absolutely horrible and his lyrics are utterly childish. It amazes me that people see him as a legend. This is a guy who found a niche in the 60's and people have elevated him to legend status since. I mean, this guy couldn't get a job singing at a Holiday Inn based upon his talent if he were to start out today. Without a doubt, the least talented celebrity in the world. Another example of the mindless masses following along like sheep."

Du hast keine Ahnung du Vogel!

Hörst warscheinlich irgendso eine scheiss Boygroup musik!

Wenn Bob Dylan nicht talentiert ist... dann bist du nicht Behindert! :o:D

Ja ja.

Music like everything is purely down to taste. There are some areas in Dylan's career that are best left well alone and not talked about. Take for example the latter half of the 80's shortly before he polished off the 80's in style by releasing the album "Oh Mercy" when he co-starred in the movie "Hearts of Fire" with Fiona Flanagan & Rupert Everett.

The first half of the 90s when he released the rather lame album Under The Red Sky

lyrics like "wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup" are not by any means genius standard.

Whereas in other areas he has totally excelled himself.

Albums such as:-

Bringing it all back home

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde on Blonde

Desire

Blood on The Tracks

Infidels

Empire Burlesque

Knocked Out Loaded

Oh Mercy

Time Out of Mind

They have all been hailed by fans and music critics as some of the best albums ever released. Like all artists it's impossible to like everything that they release onto vinyl / cd

Yes Dylan has a voice that is if I could quote the words of David Bowie "like sandpaper and glue" but if you listen to him over the years, his voice changes a lot although you can still tell that it's Dylan.

Apart from The Beatles, he is the most covered artist and extremely influential of bands and solo artists over the years.

A laugh out loud moment for me was in the new Dylan doumentary where a fan was asked by an interviewer after the now legendary 'Royal Albert Hall' show where Dylan had commited the cardinal sin of plugging in his guitar and going electric what he thought of the show " he's a bastard " he replied. It loses a bit in translation though.

This is a guy who found a niche in the 60's and people have elevated him to legend status since.

Actually Dylan started off in the 50s playing piano for Bobby Vee and also Harmonica for Harry Belafonte. It was his interest in human rights and his ability to write lyrics that drew the hypocrisy of these cases into the public eye.

His voice is absolutely horrible and his lyrics are utterly childish.

The Ballad of Hollis Brown made people realise that people were starving in South Dakota and not making enough money to feed their own families.

The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll a powerful song about a law abiding black woman who was killed by a wealthy businessman high up on the social ladder who was given just 6 months imprisonment

Only a Pawn in Their Game The story of civil rights activist Medgar Evers who was shot and killed by a member of the "White Citizens' Council" Byron De La Beckwith

Hurricane The story of middleweight boxer Rubin Carter, falsely imprisoned for a triple murder

I would suggest that if you can't bear to listen to Dylan's voice, take a moment out to read the lyrics. I think you'll find that they are far from childish

Ignore the nonsense posted in this thread on the topic of Dylan. Two points need to be made.

Firstly he is not in bads health. In fact he is probably in better health than any of his contemporaries, his touring schedule is a tesament to that. The weird thing with brid feaces a few years ago was a one -off ilness. He will be around for years yet and will probably spend the majority of those years creativly active.

Secondly there is no way in which anyone with any degree of awareness of him or of music in general can claim that he is "no good". The nearest one can realistically come is something like "I do not find the voice appealing [and that I concede is a reasonable reaction] but I do recognise the astonishing facilty as a lyricist and unique position as a cultural icon and icon of political social comment".

In short an astonishing individual but one with very little scope for being disscussed on Deathlist.